Hotel Nacional de Cuba
Hotel Vedado(Havana)
Hotel Colina(Havana)
Hotel Terral(Havana)
5,984 results
All reviewshotel tourmissile crisishall of famehistoric hotelfrank sinatramovie starsexecutive floornational monumentcabaret parisiensteeped in historyfamous guestsstep back in timeold havanalots of historycabaret showbuena vista social clubterrace bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Hotel Nacional has a cool retro feel to it - it is definitely their niche - and they do it well. The lobby & bar area is a hub of activity all day long. Drinks are $3-4 CUC and there is lots of open air sitting to enjoy a cigar and listen to live music. The 'Buena Vista Social Club' members & their new band also play the 1930 Ballroom every Tuesday night - its a great show 25 CUC - recommend. The room we had was retro and dated - but we loved it...it's Cuba! Go with it.
Breakfast was delicious & the bar area has lots of cool pics of celebrities that have stayed here. Lots of classic cars out front for taxis (and photo ops) - Ask for a room with a balcony (we got one of the few in the hotel)

Room Tip: See if you can get the room with a small balcony - there are only a couple dozen - but they are nice to have & typically face the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheTravelDudeAbides
Antonio M, Director General at Hotel Nacional de Cuba, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Guest.

Thanks for your reviews about the Hotel.
The Hotel Nacional de Cuba is an historic hotel, is 83 years old.
undoubtedly, you could enjoy the pictures of the celebrities who have stayed here, which are in the Hall of Fame, this place is a bar too.
we offer the tradicional cuban music in all Hotel places.

Thanks for recommending the Hotel, also, we expect you to return.

Regards,

Antonio Martínez Rodríguez
Director-General
Hotel Nacional de Cuba

Reviewed January 31, 2014

This hotel tells the story of Cuba. 1930's grandeur but desperately in need of some very sympathetic renovation
Executive floor is bearable but small pokey room on second floor, (for our final night in Cuba,) was just not.
Not to be missed though and the doormen are great!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2014

There is no place on earth like Havana, and the icing on the cake when visiting this amazing city a stay in the Nacional de Cuba. I have visited Cuba three times and every time have stayed in the Nacional. I think it's fair to say I have fallen in love with the hotel. I'm currently planning my 4th visit to Cuba in Easter 2015 (I've got to have something to look forward to!) and there is no question where I'll be staying when I visit!

Some of the reviews I have read suggest the Nacional needs some updating. However, if 5* perfection is more important to you than culture and history then I'm not sure why you're visiting Cuba?! This place is overflowing with history. Add to that the beautiful setting overlooking the stunning Malecon and I can't understand how anyone could complain. The staff have always been so friendly, particularly the bar staff in the 24 hour Gallery Bar. This bar sells one of the best Mojitos I have tasted and being able to sit with my mojito looking out over the Malecon is one of the things that keeps bringing me back to Cuba.

This place is not to be missed, nowhere compares to the Nacional. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Malecon.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Claire D
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I spent 6 nights at this 1930' hotel last december. It keeps the elegance from that era. Good service, very comfortable room, spacious and very clean. Eating and drinking at the hotel is just good and pricy. There are plenty of private restaurants ( a.k.a. "paladars" ) in the area. The hotel' location is great, specially to explore the city. If you want to move around in an economic way, take a taxi one block away from the hotel ( any direction ). It is cheaper and more fun. How many times in your life you could take a ride in a Chevrolet, Cadillac or Ford from the 50's? The hotel has two pools. Apparently no one uses the second one facing the ocean. This one is more relaxing . The first one is more popular and active. Don't miss an afternoon in the gardens of the hotel. Very enjoyable!

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hall are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We had the great pleasure of staying at the historic Hotel Nacional for nine days in January 2014. Having read many of the reviews here on Tripadvisor, we arrived with somewhat lowered expectations, but we were surprised and delighted by what we found. Indeed, I cannot think of a single negative experience we had during our whole stay.
Let me not focus on the praises most of the other reviewers shower on the hotel: The history, the elegant common rooms, the lovely grounds, and the stunning views. Let me rather highlight the ways in which our experience may have differed from many of the other reviewers.
We decided to pay a few Pesos more to stay on the sixth floor, “the executive floor.” I think that was a good idea: We had our own reception, our own IT room, and our own breakfast buffet on the floor, all in a more intimate setting. The friendly staff on the floor quickly got to know us well, and they were eager to make us feel at home. By contrast, I often observed long lines at the reception on the ground floor, and a somewhat impersonal atmosphere.
Our corner room Nr 649 was a delight to stay in, charming, quiet, with a nice firm king size bed, and with great views of the Malecon. Everything worked to our satisfaction: A/C, Wifi, Minibar, TV, etc. They even offer a German TV Channel! The bath room was well appointed and well lit, and we enjoyed a view of the Malecon from the shower. The room service was fast and reliable around the clock: We had to order breakfast at 3 am on the day of our departure and it came within 15 minutes, “on the house”.
One morning at the breakfast table a woman from the reception came up to me to wish me a happy birthday; they must have gotten the date from my passport. I have stayed in some pretty fancy hotels over the years, all over Europe, but something like that has never happened to me. As a birthday present, they treated us to a show at their Cabaret Le Parisien, a delightful conclusion to our stay, just hours before we had to leave.
The most remarkable person we met at the hotel was our amazing maid Martha, a sophisticated and energetic woman, speaking English and Russian well. She would often stop by at our room before she left to see whether we were in need of anything, and we had some long and interesting chats on a wide range of topics.
While we were there, several Heads of States and UN General Secretary Ban Ki-Moon were staying at the hotel to attend a Latin American summit. If the place is good enough for these guys, it is certainly good enough for us…
We can’t wait to be back next winter, hopefully for a much longer time!

Room Tip: Stay on the sixth floor, the "executive floor". Ask for a room with sea view, ideally a corner room like our room 649
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple