Hotel Nacional de Cuba
galahotels.com
$75
Cancelon
6,049 results
All reviewshotel tourmissile crisishall of famehistoric hotelfrank sinatramovie starsexecutive floornational monumentcabaret parisiensteeped in historyfamous guestsstep back in timeold havanalots of historycabaret showbuena vista social clubterrace bar
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Having stayed here as part of a summer holiday I still think fondly of this hotel. It was grand, in a pre-Revolution sense. Architecturally it was beautiful and gave us a glimpse of how things were in Havana in years past. The view of the harbour was amazing, as was the lobby. The covered veranda around the garden and fountain was wonderful, the perfect place to soak up the ambience and enjoy a mojito.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the harbour - amazing scenery.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We have stayed at the Parque Central several times in the past but always wondered what it would be like to stay at the Nacional.

When we arrived the check-in was fairly quick but ... we were shown to a room with a baorded-up window which could neither be opened nor seen through! not a great start. We went straight downstairs to complain and were then allocated a lovely corner room (No 329) with windows facing the sea and the central courtyard. We did, though, have to move our luggage and find the new room ourselves.

We stayed for three nights and on the whole it was a positive experience. The pool area is very nice and the staff at the poolside bar very pleasant and friendly. We slept well and the area is much quieter than the area round the Paque Central. Room lovely and bathroom spacious with a separate shower. We particularly enjoyed being able to have sunset and late-night drinks overlooking the Malecon. The breakfast was fine with ample choice, although I found the room where it was served (also used I think as the buffet restaurant, but we never ate there except at breakfast) a bit depressing.

The hotel is in Vedado which probably makes it not the best place to stay if it's your first time in Havana and you want to spend most of your time in the old town (about a 5 CUC taxi ride).
However the Vedado area is interesting as so much normal Cuban life takes place there, and the hotel is much used for conferences, seminars and concerts which can make it quite an exciting place to be.

The main downside is that it's very large, you can wait ages for lifts, and it can feel a bit chaotic. Would I stay there again? Probably, although the Parque Central would still be first choice if I was only staying in one place in Havana.

Room Tip: Room 329 very good. If you don't like the room you've been given, complain straightaway!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HispanophileLondon2
Reviewed February 15, 2012

this hotel was a nice historic hotel, from the out side and the front lobby and the back garden where great, where 5 stars
but the rest off the hotel was 3 stars, the hotel rooms have had there days
staff where not the best in this hotel,
breakfast was just so badly cooked and staff where so unfriendly
food out side was better,and havana was great

Room Tip: 5th room are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nellyotis62
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Please see the photos and decide yourself. It's a beautiful building, but it is RUINED inside. Old and smelly blue carpets on the corridors, LOCKED frigobars, photocopied menus, bathroom falling down, bed falling down were some of the little problems that we faced in the state-runned-trash. If you are lucky to have a table for breakfast, it will be dirty. I woke up one day with a monster headache. Went to the frigobar to have some juice, it was locked (I understand this precaution in road's motels. But in a 'pretended' 5 star???!?!). I asked 4 TIMES for the keys and, as they didn't arrive, I went down, with that headache... and having to fight for a free table! DO NOT go. Stay away from this trash. Even considering you are in Cuba, there are other good hotels in town (such as saratoga, marques de san filipe y santiago de bejucal, etc)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LMVoyageur
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Albeit but not with the rich history of the Nacional. I stayed for a week and put up with rude surly people. I also met many nice and helpful people so I am not sure why the nastier ones don't or can't adapt to a customer service environment like some I experienced had. It is economical to stay there but adds up as you spend any time there. The garden is one of the loveliest spots in Havana to meet friends. However hotels close to Habana Vieja are much more economical, more ideally located and, with character and welcoming staffs. I recommend you stay elsewhere and visit the Nacional for a cocktail to experience it. Very average!

Room Tip: on the 5th or 6th floor close to the position of the business center so you can get the internet in your room -- only a few have them. I was in 521.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo