Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fabulous birding trip

Six of us spent a week birding in Cuba with Arturo, who was an excellent, knowledgeable guide... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
sauviejane
via mobile
Fabulous week of birding in Cuba!

I spent about a week on a group trip with Arturo Kirkconnell Jr in late October/early November... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
rakramden

All reviews different species hostal luis b bs cayo coco beautiful country endemics zapata adrian tody riding habitat terraza vinales sites taxi guide cuba
Reviewed November 12, 2018

I run a small tour company that operates exclusively in North America. I was invited to be "host/assistant guide" on a Kirkconnell tour. The tour was exceptionally well organized, and our lodging was uniformly good. Meals in particular were memorable. And the birding- well, Arturo, Jr. was totally accommodating and knew all the places to get Cuba's endemic species as well as many other Caribbean specialties. Simply could not have been better! If you travel with Kirkconnell you will not be disappointed!

Date of experience: November 2018
Arturo_Kirkconnell, Owner at Kirkconnell’s Birds, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2018

Many many thanks, we really appreciate it

Reviewed September 20, 2018

We came in a cruise ship, and were met by the Kirkconnell guide right outside the terminal as he had arranged. A taxi picked us up shortly, and we were driven through Havana with explanations about the sites along the way.
We had no idea what wonderful scenery Cuba offers, and we got a good view of many exciting birds, even the Trogon, Cuba's national bird. It was a pleasant day of birding with an informed and agreeable guide, even above expectations.

Date of experience: September 2018
2  Thank Helen C
Reviewed July 10, 2018

We have wanted to visit Cuba and do some birding there for years. We had only 7 hours in Havana, but Arturo was gracious enough to arrange a taxi and driver for us and took us to Cuevo los Portales. We had an opportunity to see birds along the highway as well as at the park, and hear about life in Cuba as well. We hope to return and spend more time and see more birds and more of this beautiful country. It was the best day of our 5 day trip.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed June 25, 2018

If you are going to Cuba and want to see the wildlife, Arturo is your man. Just came back from a holiday in Cuba. I had limited free time, and as a keen birdwatcher wanted to see some of Cuba's famous endemic birds. I was recommended to use Arturo Kirkconnell. I was not disappointed. Arturo quickly put together an action packed itinerary full of wonderful endemic birds.. Arturo is warm, professional and friendly. He was very punctual, well organised, but very relaxing company too. The best way to describe our trip, would be to say he concierged outstanding views of very memorable birds for me. Although we saw MANY wonderful birds continuously through the day, the focus was Cuban endemics/regionals for me...Cuban ...Green Woodpecker, Emerald, Tody, Solitaire, Grassquit, Trogan, Bullfinch, Martin, Pewee, Yellow Headed warbler La Sagra Flycatcher, Great Lizard Cuckoo, Olive Capped Warbler, Western Spindalis, Red-Shouldered, Tawny Shouldered, Cuban Blackbirds, Greater Antillean Grackle plus always a bonus Key West Quail Dove. One of the best days birding in my life. At the end of it, I felt like I had been birding with a friend! Thank you Arturo

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed May 19, 2018

My husband and I took a ten-day ornithology (birding) survey/study/tour with Kirkconnell Birds in April 2018. Arturo Kirkconnell, Jr., from Cuba was our guide. Their birding tour provided us with great opportunities to see all of the possible endemic birds of Cuba, plus many West Indian endemics. An added bonus was seeing many migrants on their way north to the USA. Arturo is fluent in English and is the son of Arturo Kirkconnell, Sr., co-author of the Field Guide to the Birds of Cuba. He has been assisting this father on his birding tours for almost 20 years, beginning when he was 12 and then on his own when he was older.

We spent most of our tour away from the cities. We visited many of the most important birding sites in Cuba, including the wetlands of the Zapata Peninsula, Vinales and Cayo Coco. A good mix of the habitats were visited, including forests, marshes, mangroves, coastal shrubs, grasslands and lagoons in the western two-thirds of the island. What a beautiful country!

My husband and I have taken birding tours around the world and this was one of the most well organized tours we have taken. Our tour began months before we arrived, with detailed materials and the birding checklist provided through their sponsor organization in the United States, Partnership for International Birding (PIB). Upon our arrival in Havana, we were greeted at the airport by Arturo's cousin, Adrian. Throughout the tour, we were accompanied by Arturo and/or Adrian. Being one of the premier birding guides in Cuba for so many years, Arturo is well respected and familiar with all of the individuals and establishments we visited.

Our meals were wonderful. They made sure everything was safe for us to eat, not to mention, DELICIOUS. The lodging varied in quality, being the best available in the locations. Many of the times in private homes, licensed to provide lodging to tourists (similar to our B&Bs.) In Zapata, we stayed at one of the nicest guest houses in Zapata, Hostal Luis, which also served, as we said, DELICIOUS food!

We saw almost 150 bird species and all of the possible birds, endemic to Cuba. We highly recommend Kirkconnell Birds for anyone considering taking a birding survey/study to Cuba. We not only studied the birds of Cuba, but experienced the culture, ate DELICIOUS food and saw an unbelievable country.

Date of experience: April 2018