“Interesting place and decent food”
Review of Habana Retro Cafe

Habana Retro Cafe
Ranked #178 of 874 Restaurants in Havana
Reviewed May 15, 2018

We had a recommendation from some young Cubans and thought the pizzas and service were really good. The atmosphere in the place is quite quirky, with lots of retro artifacts and decorations.

Reviewed March 26, 2018

My family and I were recommended this hotel while visiting Cuba last week, it is conveniently located in the heart of the city.The owner used an old house and transformed it in a Restaurant ,the ambiance is unique with pictures and antiques all over the place ,even a documentary is played while your eating about the old times in Havana.The food was great including appetizers and drinks, it is not cheap but it had a very good quality.I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed January 8, 2018

Happy to have found this restaurant. The homely feel on being in a family Italian restaurant - It became our go-to place for a drink, food and relaxation. Fantastic ambience along with decent Italian dishes served by a fantastic staff.

Reviewed December 27, 2017

The food is decent though I think a bit expensive (so are many places in Havana), but the ambience is just so cool! I loved their chocolate mousse.

Reviewed December 12, 2017

I'm happy to join the chorus of raves about this unique and wonderful restaurant. As a lover of photography & popular music (across time & place) I fell in love with this place long before the first food arrived. As I sipped a wonderfully refreshing drink from their bar - which seems to jump out from a Humphrey Bogart movie - I took in a visual feast of "classic retro" music history, with a juke box, neon and metal signs from the 50's-60's, and special tribute sections to Frank Sinatra and classic rock & rollers.

The restaurant itself is also like an old-style mansion (in an interesting old-style neighborhood), and with visual feasts in each of several rooms, I was thinking that whatever the meal offered, it would be an "extra" on top of the drink and ambience.

I was part of a large table/group and we had arranged the visit beforehand, so were met with a choice of 3 main courses, so I can't comment on the full range of dishes. To be honest, nobody had even mentioned "Italian", so I was expecting shredded beef, black beans, fish etc., similar to many other paladars/restaurants. When we were served pizza as a first course I was totally surprised - and pleasantly amazed. I can debate pizza with the best of fans ("New York" vs. Chicago, European-style with minimal cheese/tomato vs. "with the works" concoctions seen in the U.S.). I can honestly say that despite the coming main course, I ate 3 slices - it was that good! Sort of like Goldilocks' 3 porridge bowls - not too thick or thin, not too saucy or too plain, just absolutely perfect to my taste. And this, I had to remind myself, was Havana! Not known for pizza, particularly.

All of us thoroughly enjoyed the entire meal and visit, the photo-buffs among us having a field day and a companion who was having a hard time finding a fish dish he truly enjoyed was finally content. Honestly, I can't remember the dish I had, only that it was well-prepared, "different" than typical Cuban fare I'd had thus far (sort of "stylized"), and tasty, from drinks and appetizers to dessert. The service was polite and professional, as was the bartending from the equally "retro" bar, almost a movie-set in itself - classic.

So I've joined the chorus of fans, and truly hope to return here. Not everyone knows of this place (speaking with some fellow travelers as well as a paladar owner or two) but whether for pizza, drinks, or a sit-down full-course dinner, I'd definitely recommend this as a truly memorable "experience" with a meal. Good drinks, too.