“What a surprise!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We saw the sign for Chez Madeleine and went to investigate. We immediately made reservations. It's nestled within some apartments just off the main road north of Kralendijk. Doesn't sound like a great location but it is lovely, peaceful and romantic. There are only about 8 tables on an outside patio. Most of it is covered in case of rain. It's run by a couple. He's in the kitchen and she's handling the hostessing and serving. Both working their tails off. The food was outstanding!! I would describe it as light French. Even by Chicago standards I would rate it a 9 out of 10. For Bonaire, its a 10. Definitely one of the top 2 eateries on the island. We had about 8 days left on the island and after our first meal, we went back twice. The food was consistently great. I sure hope this restaurant makes it and maintains its high quality. It will be the first place we go when we return.

4  Thank 1honestfoodie

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is truly an outstanding hidden gym in Bonaire. This was my first time to Bonaire. I was traveling with my boyfriend who had been to the island several times by himself, but he never really tried any of the nicer restaurants. We made reservations for a Friday night and it was one of the finest meals we had during our two weeks in Bonaire. (the other was Capriccio- an Italian restaurant). The chef has a real passion for his food and the presentation was top notch. The service was as good as it gets. It is small and you definately need a reservation. Everything we had was delicious. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our meal.

4  Thank LaurenD633
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Romantic setting inside a hotel compound. High quality food. Great service. If you want to hit the top restaurants while in town, this should be on your list.

4  Thank KilburnPost
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Everything is perfect, a new level of restaurant in Bonaire. This restaurant has pushed some other prime restaurants into the second row. There is not very much to add to the reviews posted here, except, that it is so :-)

3  Thank TDI_DIDI
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Chez Madeline is not your stuffy French Restaurant. My wife and I took our two teenagers and we all thought the setting was cozy and Madeline was one of the best servers we have ever had anywhere! The food was delicious from the rolls with Truffle butter, smoked salmon pate, smoked duck appetizer, and wonderful entrees. I am not sure what was better, my scampi, my son's ribeye, my daughters's tuna, or my wife's Wahoo. They were all wonderful with delightful sides! Topped off the meal with creme brûlée. If you are looking for fine French food in a small relaxing setting, try Chez Madeline!

3  Thank Scott R