“A bit "foofy" but good”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

No more expensive than other restaurants on Bonaire, but the food was better than some. The barracuda was perfect - a thick steak cooked just right! It came with six steak fries and some steamed zucchini. The staff was friendly and always on their toes.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,351)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We have been living on Bonaire for one year and never having tried At Sea booked a table for our wedding anniversary. The location is a little unfortunate as it fronts onto a main road and there are rather a lot of tables squeezed into the available space making it a little warm, having said that the ambiance and service was very good. For first course I had a stunningly presented duck salad. Unfortunately it was ruined by having "blue cheese crisps" thrown on top of it! They were burned, bitter and overpowered the excellent salad. After spending some time picking off the burnt bits the salad was most enjoyable. My wife had spinach and goats cheese spring rolls. They looked appealing however there was no taste of goats cheese! My main course was simply awful. I had Ribeye steak with sweetbreads and tortellini. There was very little flavour in the steak, very unusual for a ribeye, the sweetbreads were very fatty and the tortellini was under cooked, parts of which were rock hard! My wife had a main course of Duck and pumpkin risotto which looked and tasted very good.
If this had not been our anniversary meal and not wanting my wife to be upset my main course would have been sent back. I also suffered an upset stomach after the meal.
This restaurant has great potential, with parts of the meal being excellent, but it was ruined by too many mistakes. At the moment I would have to say it is very overrated, we have definitely had far better meals on Bonaire than this. Perhaps they are trying too hard, hopefully it will improve.

3  Thank RugbyLovingFoodFan
Reviewed June 11, 2013

After seeing the great reviews and hearing wonderful things about this place while visiting Bonaire, we decided to make reservations and treat ourselves. The service is different, we never really knew which one was our waiter and all the staff were nice but not friendly. The food wasn't the best either. Had shells in our crab salad and my husband's fish was literally burnt! We couldn't believe they would serve such a charred dish. We enjoyed Wil's much better on Kaya L.D. Gerharts Street.

2  Thank LisaM_TN
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was our best meal in Bonaire. It's true that the restaurant is not as close to the water as other restaurants, but the ambiance of At Sea was still charming and we could see the water. The food is simply fantastic. We had the barracuda (delicious!!) and the ribeye (also fantastic). They start you out with an appetizer sampler dish, bread and a small treat of fennel soup, all for no charge. This is not a cheap restaurant, but if you want to treat yourself to something special, give At Sea a try. If we hadn't gone on our last night in Bonaire, we would have definitely returned! It's near Divi Flamingo.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I had a truly beautiful meal at "At Sea" in Bonaire. This is by no means a foodie island - it's a dive island -- but At Sea managed to bring a fine dining experience in a relaxed, more casual outdoor atmosphere. I had a local seafood entree, perfectly cooked with a savory risotto and just enough of a complimentary sauce to go with it, and my husband had a perfectly seasoned and prepared steak. We also shared an appetizer and dessert which both offered incredible flavors and presentation. Beyond all the food surpassing our expectations, the service and "little things" made the experience even more memorable. There is a complimentary tasting plate to start your meal, attentive service, and we were even offered wine on the house for a longer-than-usual wait for our meals (which honestly we had barely even noticed as we enjoyed the starters and the wine and the views). Would definitely recommend. Only tip -- make a reservation ahead of time and request a table with a fan... when the breeze drops the steamy heat just sits on you there.