“The best cuisine on the island”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of At Sea

At Sea
Ranked #5 of 125 Restaurants in Kralendijk
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Detroit, Michigan
“The best cuisine on the island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had high hopes for At Sea after reading the many positive ratings online. The restaurant did not disappoint! The service was lacking - when entering the restaurant five minutes early for our reservation, we were asked to wait at the bar while our table was prepared - and then our table was given to a walk-in couple. Our original server spent a considerable amount of time talking to friends at the bar before bringing us menus and our drinks. The explanation of the food was somewhat matter-of-fact and lacked a bit of enthusiasm. Later in the meal, however, the service was impeccable and personable - several servers came over to chat with us, ask about our experience in Bonaire, and share a little about At Sea's menu development (the restaurant staff and chef collaborate to change the menu quite regularly). We opted for the surprise menu - four set courses prepared based on seasonal ingredients. The server took into account our preferences (we are not a fan of sweetbreads), and each course was timed perfectly. We enjoyed a nice aperitif, an amuse bouche of tuna tartar in a fresh gazpacho, a liver and apple terrine, an AMAZING tuna and barracuda course, a beef course with delicious acoutrements (but slightly grisley steak), and the most amazing banana trifecta dessert we've ever had (seriously, it's worth going just for this). The pricing was expensive, but reasonable compared to other dining experiences on the island. We will definitely be returning.

• Visited March 2013

• Polish first
Smyrna, Georgia
“Best restaurant in Bonaire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

After experiencing several restaurants that lacked service, quality of ingredients, and most of all appropriate pacing of courses, we were thrilled to find At Sea! Wonderful food, unparalleled service, and a beautiful view were a refreshing change from some of Bonaire's overpriced fare. We will return for sure our next trip!

Visited March 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Compares to some of the best I've had in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Call for reservations. On a Tuesday night we got the "last" table. I had a fan blowing on my back the whole meal (pulling air from the kitchen) 1.5 hours later several tables were still empty. We were not offered a table in the bar area nor at the bar. Not a great first impression. Almost a sense of "you are not worthy to eat here, be glad we deigned to seat you." They could definitely use a more hospitable hostess.

We ordered a first and a second - tuna tartare and spring rolls. The tuna was fantastic - several pieces (plenty to share) and a number of interesting sauces. The spring rolls were flavorful, but not exceptional.

We also received "chef treats" including a sample of the soup (a curry squash bisque with fresh Wahoo - we watched a video of the wahoo being caught), a plantain / olive / cheese cracker sampler, and bread with tapanade and infused butter. All quite excellent.

We both had the barracuda for our main course, with cauliflower puree, mushroom risotto and other accouterments. The fish was cooked perfectly - flakey yet moist; and quite flavorful. The risotto was a bit strong for the delicate fish (never thought I would describe barracuda as delicate!).

We also had wine by the glass - good quality and reasonably priced.

Total cost of this delectable feast for two was only $100, yet it compared favorably to meals I've had in NYC and San Francisco.

Once past the hostess, service was attentive without being invasive.

Brooklyn, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday Dinner w/ Family & Friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We celebrated my wife's birthday with family and friends at At Sea in February. The food and service was delightful. She and I had the fish specials and while I enjoyed the mahi mahi, I believe she chose more wisely with the Wahoo. We had high expectations for the salad with lionfish beignet but found it a bit disappointing. That aside, it was a fantastic evening.

Visited February 2013
Philadelphia
“Awful Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We saved our visit to At Sea for our last night in Bonaire. What a bad choice. We did have a reservation and arrived a little early. We were sat immediately but then were not tended to for 20 minutes. We would have rather sat at the bar enjoying a drink if they were too busy. We ordered and received our appetizer in a reasonable amount of time. We then continued to wait 1 hour and 30 minutes for our entree. After about an hour we hear our neighboring guests being offered a complimentary beverage as an apology for it taking so long. Clearly the staff did not have a handle on when people were sat because we were probably there 30 minutes prior to them and were not offered anything. When our meal finally came out, the staff did apologize and offered to top off our drinks. As I cut into my entree, Wahoo, I see that is it not cooked. I ask the waiter if this is how it is suppose to be prepared and he says no and takes it back to the kitchen. He later returns with two small over cooked filets. At this point, I wasn't even hungry anymore. I had lost my appetite. After a dreadful dining experience, all At Sea had to offer was one complimentary beverage with a large bill and hungry patrons. We dined at Appetite the night prior and had a fabulous night! I would hands down recommend Appetite over At Sea.

Visited February 2013