“Come for the Diving, May look elseware for meals....”
Review of Buddy Dive

Buddy Dive
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Kralendijk
Reviewed March 22, 2009

A real top notch dive set up with friendly, knowlegable crew that give you your freedom to explore the reefs. The house reef itself is a very satisfying dive and the camera shop right next to it a nice touch. Plenty of activeties to do also (bike riding, kayaking etc)

Rooms are what you expect in the Caribbean.... ok to sleep in but for sure nothing to rave about. They could probably use an upgrade soon get to get new mattresses and appliances (our fridge leaked water and had cracked shelves makeing them useless for anything of any real weight. The Pool bar restaurant is ok.. with a decent selection of food off the menu. The included morning breakfast was a nice touch. But I recommend you take a 5 minutes walk down the street to Rum Runners at Captain Don's if you want a great selection of food drink and service.

• Stayed: March 2009
4  Thank RicoDiver

Reviewed March 18, 2009

My boyfriend, a few other friends and I decided to take a trip here after other trip plans fell through. Two of our friends on the trip had been to Buddy Dive numerous times and suggested we go. Even though I had sprained my ankle on the first day, we still had a great time! We had no troubles checking in or getting our vehicle. One of the perks was having a truck available with each room. We took full advantage of using it to get around the island to dive. The breakfast that was included was very nice....had a great selection! The other meals we had at the resort were good but pretty pricey, and service was typically slow (which I try to understand the whole island time thing)

The dive staff were great! We did have a few favorites and it helped that our friends knew some of them from previous trips. They were a great help to me with my ankle problem. The dive sites were great and had no troubles with the dive boats.

All in all it was a great trip and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank pmcraig67
Reviewed February 5, 2009

We went to Buddy Dive for our 1 year anniversary. This was our second time to Bonaire (the first time we rented an apartment near town). Our room was very nice - ocean view and on the second floor. The room was clean and tastefully decorated - island style. There is a kitchen with a stove, oven and microwave, fridge which was great for making meals and picnics. We usually go to the market the first day (tip - go to the local's market warehouse near the airport for a lot cheaper food, or the asian market on the same street has great prices too!) and make picnic lunch to take with us while out shore diving. We also buy a case of beer (Amstel is local and it is pretty good) which is a lot cheaper than buying it at a bar. Walking round town with a beer is totally acceptable from what we found.

Breakfast is included - though it is basic. Fruit, cheeses, muffins and omlets or pancackes made to order. If you are a late riser it ends at 9 I think.

Diving is the key thing in Bonaire, and Buddy's dive operation was great. there are 3 boat dive slots a day, and you can sign up for any that you want - though we didn't find the boat dives had that much different marine life than the shore dives. Boat dives had 10 or so people per boat - not too many but still you had to watch out for folk. Buddy Dive does have a nice drive through tank exchange which saves you carrying them to your car. Locker space to dry gear was a bit scarce if you waited till late afternoon to store your gear. Dive staff was friendly enough - not overly friendly though like some places I have been. Some of the dive masters were good at finding marine life, some didn't find very much.

Shore diving right off the Buddy pier is great! You can do a quick night dive, then get changed for dinner and go.

Resturants on the resort were a bit overpriced for what you got - more US prices than I expected. Food at the two resturants are both good. Happy hour at the resturant near the pool is a decent deal. We stuck to going to town and finding resturants there - there are plenty to choose from and a wide variety of cusines to choose from - with good food!

The pools were ok - I only went in one... not too many people hanging out by the pools. Most people are off diving.

You can't really walk to town from Buddy Dive - which we did miss strolling around town at night and walking back to our lodging.

We would stay there again, since of the choices in Bonaire it is probably the best deal.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Snoobles
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I've been to the Buddy Dive resort in Bonaire three time now. I love it and so does my family.

Our first trip was to get scuba certification (PADI) for my wife and daughter. Bonaire provides some of the easiest access diving in the world and is perfect for starters. The best part about Bonaire is that there are many easy access shore dives placed on the leeward side of the island. You can dive for weeks and not hit all the sites. Our most recent trip, my wife and I took our advanced open water training (thanks LaLa!) in preparation for a Galapagos trip later in the year.

We always take advantage of the Buddy Dive week package that includes several boat dives, unlimited air and a truck. With the truck, you can load several air tanks in the back, drive to a dive sight and be back before lunch.

Also, the reef immediately off the Buddy Dive resort is very good. Relatively common to see frogfish, seahorse, Caribbean Squid and Tarpon. Occasionally, there will even be octopus and Eagle Rays.

The only downsides to Bonaire diving is 1) there are few large animal encounters (no sharks, seals, whales) and 2) the reefs are so full of life, it almost spoils other, less vibrant locations by comparison.

The staff at Buddy Dive is very professional (many are from the Netherlands) and all speak English. The rooms are extremely nice with air conditioning, kitchenettes, and dedicated facilities for cleaning and hanging scuba gear.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank BirdAndDive
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed one week in a Studio/1 bedroom at Buddy's - Unit 507. From what we understand, this is one of the older units.
Pros - Great location for divers. Reef on site is good. Dive shop, gear storage and drive through tank fills were well organized. Bonaire in general is a great place for beginner divers. It is very easy and interesting things to see.
Cons - Our unit was infested with mosquitos! The kitchen/eating area had french doors with no screens so we had to close the doors and crank up the AC to be able to use the space. This was after I complained at the front desk about the bugs and they handed me a can of bug spray to take care of the issue myself. I had to personally empty out all the kitchen cupboards and bomb the place then ask twice for housekeeping to come clean up the carcasses. Once we made this adjustment the bug situation was tolerable. I would expect better service and screens on the doors would save energy.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MichiganSunnydays
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Stayed for one week in Dec. 2008 at Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire. Purchased dive package, which included hotel stay, 6 boat dives, unlimited shore diving, free nitrox, daily breakfast, and pickup truck. Did 6 boat dives, 6 shore dives, and a couple of night dives. Bonaire diving was very good. Beautiful reefs, and the convenience of shore diving throughout the coastline. Plenty of pretty coral fish, however, comparatively speaking, exposure to other marine life was limited. Buddy Dive Shop staff (dive masters) were very nice and helpful, providing tips on best shore dives. Drive-through tank station and rinse basins were very convenient.

As for the hotel/resort, my experience was not as pleasant.

Room quality was poor. For example, limited amount of hot water, shower leaked, dim lighting, sliding glass door to patio was difficult to open/close, towels and sheets were stained (one sheet with blood), room was grungy / not well maintained.

Overall, food was good, however, open-air breakfast buffet was a challenge due to having to fight off numerous birds that would walk on tables and eat off of serving spoons. Attendants basically disregarded them as if it were the normal course of business.

The worst part of my visit was having to contend with the poor attitude / customer service skills of the front desk personnel. They gave the impression of being bothered by guests requesting information. Some of them were rude and had a "take it or leave it" attitude. For example, one attendant told my friend to return the truck on the night before our morning departure. He asked if we could return the vehicle in the morning so that we could transport our heavy dive gear to the front desk. (The front desk is a standalone building away from the other buildings/rooms.) The response was that this is "the rule" and that we would have to carry our bags from our remote building to the front desk. We found this to be unreasonable and did not accept her demand. We kept the truck overnight and used it to transport our bags/gear in the morning, with no incident.

Although I like to visit different dive destinations every year, if I were to return to Bonaire, I would not stay at this resort.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ROKMiami
Reviewed December 11, 2008

The dive crew left us with a feeling of "an accident waiting to happen". We were on a boat with a group of divers that had 4 dives under their belt to others that had 2,000 dives. We have over 200 just this year, comfortable with our diving and nitrox users. We witnessed everything from lost diver, to diver from 80' to top in less then 5 min. Divers running out of air, skipping safety stops, the list goes on and on. Some of these divers have advanced dive cards with under 15 dives, are you kidding! Certified right at the resort by their group leader that brought them. One was certified by grabbing him by the hand and dragging him down to 80 to get his deep water certification.

Please put me on a boat with someone else, no, you are now with that group until you leave or a vacancy opens up with a permanently missing diver on another boat.

Rooms were nice, but who ever got the downstairs room was in total control of the living room. Not Buddy's fault, but very few alternatives to this set up.

My wet suit was stolen and staff was not to concerned, I was told to look on the boats and check out the other divers as they come in. That is how other wet suits and such was found when stolen. Why cant we have dive lockers that we can lock things up in like other real resorts?
I hope you are enjoying my new wet suit!

Food was good, also hit the resort next door allot for variation, pizza fresh snapper, etc.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family