Good: the dive shop, the diving, the divemasters
Bad: the check in procedure, restaurant service, smelly bathrooms
We stayed with a group of 17 divers.
Arriving on the red-eye from Houston is a bad idea. Tired travelers checking in at 6am with no rooms available and no place to securely store luggage. Our group hung out in the heat and mosquitos for hours because no one was willing to trust that our luggage would magically remain safe sitting out in the open near the check in desk. Eventually we were able to get our rooms and settle in. One of our group had a really bad smell in their bathroom that never went away. The staff did not seem to know what to do about it.
Finally we got our check out dive done and the fun began!
The house reef is excellent and we all enjoyed several dives inlcuding at night, took classes, etc right there. We had our own boat and those dives were great as well. The divemasters were experienced, and watchful without being overly annoying, they almost always pointed great finds throughout the dives (numerous seahorses, drumfish, frogfish, etc.). Some of our group added in a few more dives by signing up on the board and on a couple of occasions we used the drive & dive option. I was not a fan of shore diving - Hilma Hooker and Carpata were extremely rough entries and a few of us ended up battered and bruised. The reefs are in excellent health with tons of small life. We did not see large marine life with the exception of some tarpon on the night dives.
The on site restaurants were expensive and had the worst service! We would wait forever to get food and then the orders would be wrong. The food was not that great and it was overpriced. We experienced excellent service at an excellent value at Pasa Bon Pizza and Bistro Paris close to town.
I would return to Bonaire for the diving but might try out some of the other resorts...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience Bonaire and Buddy Dive Resort. An unhurried, unspoiled natural paradise offering spectacular sunsets, gentle breezes and crystal clear, turquoise waters. Buddy's is a resort where you can DIVE DIVE DIVE, take part in a multitude of activities or just sit back, relax and enjoy the atmosphere. At Buddy Dive, we're known for our casual atmosphere, personable staff, spacious accommodations and a dive operation that has something for every diver: comfortable boats, complete rental and retail center, exceptional staff, and a unique "Drive Thru" with a two-lane air/nitrox fill station. No matter which apartment you are staying in, you're never further than a giant stride away from our popular and lively house reef which is perfect for diving and snorkeling, day and night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Buddy Dive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buddy Dive Kralendijk
- Buddy Dive Hotel Kralendijk
- Buddy Dive Bonaire/Kralendijk