“First trip to Bonaire, loved Buddy Dive!”
Review of Buddy Dive

Buddy Dive
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Kralendijk
Lusby, Maryland
“First trip to Bonaire, loved Buddy Dive!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Buddy Dive has it all! Whether you are a beginner, experienced, or master diver, you'll enjoy Buddy Dive! We booked a package with Sea Dive in Solomon's and about 30 people we knew where there. We had good food, great rooms, fantastic views, a vehicle, help when we needed it, and opportunities galore! Not only are there dive sights at Buddy Dive, and all along the perimeter of the Bonaire, but boat dives are also available. Specialty dives add to the fun. What we really loved was the ease of it all. Buddy Dive makes it easy to have fun. The drive through tank stations make it simple to dive when and where you want! Condos are only steps away from the breakfast buffet and poolbar. Rinse stations and gear rooms make it simple to take care of your valuable dive gear. The staff is so friendly and will help out whenever you need anything!

Room Tip: The condos have all the basics so you can cook there or eat out. Bathrooms have basic toiletries so...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just returned from dive trip 22 dives in the weeks stay been to Bonaire 16 times over the last 14 years try to go once every year. Stayed at other properties but found Buddy 10 years ago and never looked back. The best dive operation on the island managed by Augusto, food is good and the staff is even better can't go wrong choosing Buddy on Bonaire. Reefs are the best in the world and loving cared for by all the dive folks especially the dive masters at Buddy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Ohio
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at Buddy Dive on our first dive trip to Bonaire. I booked the package last January and there must have been some great reviews on Trip Advisor at the time because for the life of me, I cannot remember why I chose this place over the many others that are available. Pros: Drive through Tank Station, Buddy's Reef (jump right off the pier), friendly staff. Cons: The place needs some maintenance. The main road going into the resort and down between the buildings is seriously potholed and deteriorating, making for a bad first impression. I asked for a king-sized bed and specifically requested "not two twin beds pushed together". We received two twins pushed together anyway, so we slept with a giant gap down the middle of the bed. When we first arrived at 4:30 a.m. we had paid extra for an early check-in, so went immediately to our room for a nap before the 9:00 a.m. orientation. I called the front desk and asked for a wake up call at 8:45. I woke up at 9:20 and realized we missed the orientation AND our wake up call. I called the front desk, quite upset, to find out what happened to our wake up call and was told, "we were very busy". I said, "What if I needed to catch a flight?". Their reply: "Sorry we were very busy". WHAT??? I was really pissed but decided just to deal with it and not let it ruin our first day of vacation. In summary, we will definitely return to Bonaire as we LOVE the diving there but we will look elsewhere for a hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Two_OHDivers
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Buddy Dive is the best! Twenty-five divng friends from the Los Angeles area were there last week and had a fantastic time! All the the staff are friendly, accommodating and helpful! They make everything so convenient with the on-site dive shop, drive-through air fill station with free Nitrox! Their "house reef' is the easist dive ever, and the boat dive to Klein was perfect. The condo was spacious and clean. There's a store nearby so we made lunches every day (bring a packable cooler for food and "Polar" Beer). I have no complaints!

Room Tip: They're all pretty good...some of them are smaller. I like the first floor so we didn't hav...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stay from June 15 am until June 22 am 2013 Room 708 (45 years old)
Keep in mind I am from OHIO and currently live in Colorado with no water to speak of. I am a new advanced (nitrox) diver with only 30+ dives under my weight belt. My (divemaster) boyfriend has over 900 dives and specific taste on how a scuba resort and staff should perform. I am meshing our thoughts. I will do a timeline commentary to help you out on how things transpire. The shuttle from the airport took a bit to wait for travelers but was just fine. Getting through customs was a breeze.
Arriving early on a Sat was a great idea if you want a jump on walking the grounds and waiting it out a bit for the resort orientation and your room. The orientation put me at ease, being a new diver, but realized later that no boat dive info was shared. I think my boyfriend thought the orientation was silly. I loved the resort. Our patio and side patio was I think the best on the resort! Numerous lizards visited our walk through the grounds and I loved that. The grounds themselves were a slightly unkept but I really didn't care about that...still beautiful. We had purchased 6 boat dives for our stay but realize now that shore diving and Buddy Reef could be all you need. I voted to get the boat dives being a land-locked person and loved them. They can take you where you can't go by truck. But six for the week was something we didn't achieve. The service staff in regards to the bar and restaraunt were fantastic and personable. The breakfast was worth the purchase and convenient. Once through orientation, renting my vest from the dive shop, we dove right in off the back of the resort. Exactly what this new diver needed to get back in the swing. Awesome. Our rental truck was nothing glamorous but you really dont need glamor when you are tracking-in water and sand, do you? We went through less than one tank of gas that week. The reefs are plentiful and the salt pier night dive was nice. As my boyfriend would put it, the dives were "a lot of plentiful reefs" but nothing big. Even though he had that comment he did find a frogfish just north of the buddy dive pier. He was excited to get that photo opportunity. We did go to the Dive Inn downtown and they had seahorses pinpointed, I mean pinpointed, and we found one. We didn't realize you could dive from downtown but you can. Tanks on the resort are EASY to get at all times of day and night. I had a tough time getting in on some shore dives. Carrying a tank and being 150 pounds I got knocked about some. Getting a good entry plan with your buddy can help a ton. Boat dives.......questionnable. The places they took us from Buddy Dive were mostly good but the staff was not so friendly. I think having some cultural differences between us being Americans and them not being from US kind of stood in our way a bit. It evolved through the week but remember to sit down when leaving the dock and returning or you could be chastised like a school kid. We did a dive called "Rappel" (off Klein Bonaire) and the waves/surge were rough. Crew should have thrown line out for us to get back on board but did not. I have the bruised shins from being a ladder rookie to prove it.
Room was clean every day and A/C worked awesome! We were freezing in our one bedroom! Remote control is worth investigating. We had two single(?) beds pushed together and it was just fine. Fridge, microwave, kitch utensils ALL GOOD. Loved that. Restaraunt menu was a bit short but got us through most of the week. Wifi was hit or miss. We did eat at Rumba Cafe downtown a few times and loved it. Rose Ann's when you are trolling for shore dives was good too. I suggest you do the BBQ dinner on Friday at the resort with free rumpunch. On the last day (no diving) we got a taste of the poor service in the dive shop. It seems that some staff is just not schooled in customer service. Overall it was a great experience but I guess the boat staff left us wondering how dedicated the staff is. The front desk staff were witty and helpful. They even helped me plan out my run during the week. I also overheard them help some lady call home to talk to her kids. The weather was ideal. It was 87 during the day but the constant wind just made it all perfect. If you are going to sit and chat with your resort neighbors at night, don't forget your bug spray. I had a friend ask me if non-divers would enjoy this resort and I told her yes. There is not beach front but plenty of sand and plenty of lounge chairs.
One last thing.... If you can find the Cactus Blue food truck on the island get the lionfish burger!

Room Tip: Room 708 was perfect. Could hear the water but nothing else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AmyH10
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Dive trip with a group and spent a week here. COMPLETELY satisfied. Office staff friendly and accommodating, especially Thea. Dive Operation was excellent. Professional dive instructors/dive masters that were all about safety and divers having a great experience. Quen, Miriam and Murphy standout here. Food/bar was all good! Food was really good at all times and staff was excellent. Milou and the rest always had a smile. Iguanas hanging around at lunch are interesting. Besides the boat dives there are a hundred shore dives that are excellent. Resort issues you a truck and the tanks you need for 24/7 diving. No bad dives on this island and Buddy Dive makes it a great trip and experience

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank skrull
San Jose
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I stopped by the dive shop looking for new fin straps. There were three women at the counter gossiping, (clearly about a guest, no less), who did not even bother to acknowledge me when I approached. I started to look around on my own, and one of them finally asked if I needed help. I told her what I was looking for, and she proceeded to direct me, from across the room, to the area. She was visibly irritated when she finally had to cross the room to show me what I was looking for, and frankly humiliated me a bit because I didn't know straps were not all interchangeable.

If this is an example of attitude of the dive crew and instructors, I can imagine they would make less experienced divers uncomfortable approaching them with questions.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends