“Better Than The Reviews”

Plaza Resort Bonaire
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Kralendijk
New York
“Better Than The Reviews”
Reviewed April 1, 2007

I just returned from a one week stay at the Plaza Resort Bonaire. I must admit that I was worried about the place after reading some negative and so so reviews. The resort and rooms far exceeded my expectations. The ocean view rooms are very big with great views from the terraces. Especially nice at sunset. The beds were a little hard and the pillows not the greatest, but all in all a very nice clean room.

The Plaza had one of the few true beaches on the island and seemed a lot nicer than the Harbour Village Resort that everyone raves about. It looked like a Spanish prison with a beach from what I saw of it. The Plaza had a great reef right out in front with some amazing snorkeling. I saw tons of spotted eels, octopus, lots of fish and great living coral. Probably the best snorkeling I've done with the exception of Belize. You don't have to be a dive geek to enjoy the island and it's marine life.

The only real negative about Bonaire is the food. We ate at the so called best places on the island and none were very good. The cuisine seemed to be catered to Dutch tastes with lots of cream sauces and french fries. Not even very much good fresh fish which was surprising. We kept joking that they keep all the fish in the water for the divers instead of fishing for food. Drink lots of beer and pina coladas instead.

Overall I'd highly recommend Bonaire and the Plaza Resort for a week of relaxation and great snorkeling/diving.

• Liked — Terrace
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank philstah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
san francisco
Reviewed March 4, 2007

My husband and I just stayed at the Plaza and overall had a fairly good experience there. We stayed in an oceanview room which was pretty comfortable and had a balcony overlooking the beach. The room was good, but the walls were pretty thin and the bathroom needed renovation. However, the water pressure was good and no problems with hot water. The a/c worked well. Our TV was broken and it took 4 calls to the front desk to get a replacement. The noise from the airplanes arriving in the early morning woke my husband on a couple occasions, but it didn't bother me. The maid service was good and prompt.

The staff was somewhat friendly. The food at the poolside restaurant was mediocre and service very slow. After 2 lunches there, we went into town for the remainder of the trip.

We really enjoyed Bistro de Paris for lunch and dinner..our favorite restaurant on the island. Great, very friendly service and very good food. It seemed to be one of the few (if not only) restaurants that served higher quality fish caught that day. Most of the other restaurants only served Wahoo or Dorado, which we found strange.

The dive staff was great and very friendly, the boat dives were great and they would take requests on where you would like to dive, the house reef dive was also very good. It was very easy to load the tanks and gear right into your truck from the dive shop and lockers. Renting and returning gear was easy.

The beach was one of the larger ones on the island with plenty of beach chairs and shade. There is no wait staff to bring you drinks or food on the beach, but there is a beach bar available. Happy hour at the beach bar was pretty lively most nights.

• Liked — pretty clean and accomodating, dive operation and staff
  • Disliked — restaurants, proximity to airports
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank graciediver
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed January 25, 2007

We did NOT stay at the Plaza, but I wanted to pass along some observations we had while on the island last week. It certainly is convenient to both the airport and to the restaurants in town. But maybe it's TOO convenient to the airport. While visiting the Plaza we were very aware of jet noise at the airport. And I learned that KLM runs flights through the airport in the middle of the night.

What bothered me about the Plaza during our visit was the piped-in beach music, loud rock that drowned out any chance of relaxing in the sun.

Like the Divi the Plaza is one of the "shore excursion" opportunities for the cruise ships, at least for the Princess line. So when the ship is in port, you get to share the beach you paid for.

Stayed January 2007
9 Thank davidhauk
Cedar Rapids
Reviewed November 30, 2006

My local dive shop arranged a trip over Thanksgiving 2006 to Plaza Resort. The place is nice enough. I stayed in villa V005 that faces the waterway (away from the airport). Not all the lightbulbs worked. The AC worked fine. The tub was cracked, but didn't seem to leak on the floor much. Washcloths were not available so bring your own. Mosquitos were a minor annoyance so bring some bug spray.
The beach was nice and spacious with plenty of chairs and hammocks. Same with the pool area that had a bar in the middle. Cable TV worked. The bed was comfortable.

The restaurant service was on the slow side. The cleaning staff was very good and did arrive later in the day. The lower ranking front desk staff were friendly, but not very helpful. I think some of that 'attitude' was showing a little. The security staff was nice.

The daily breakfast had a wide variety of foods. Could have done without the birds in the room, but they didn't appear daily. The waffles could have been cooked a bit more. The omelets were great. Fruits, breads, cereals, meats and cheeses there were good.

The Toucan Diving dive shop on the resort provides air and nitrox tanks for scuba diving which is very convenient. Most of the staff is helpful and pleasant to work with. Some are not knowledgable of their own equipment. The house reef, right off the beach, is healthy and has a wide variety of aquatic life to look at. It is a very easy entry/exit.

The airport is about a half mile away so the air traffic can be loud at times, but overall it wasn't a big deal. The resort is about a 10 minute walk from downtown.

Would I stay there again? Yes, I most likely would.

• Liked — Villa had a kitchenette
  • Disliked — Dim lighting in bedroom
  • Tips/Secrets — If you want a washcloth, bring one as none are provided.
  • Stayed November 2006
8 Thank ATravel3r
Clarksville, Ohio
Reviewed November 9, 2006

Watch out during the rainy season as some of the rooms leak but....... the service was great, showers hot and diving with Tucan Diving was easy and fun. Some of the dive master's were better than others. Erika is fantastic and Ebby even better. Watch out for Erwin, he does not watch his flock but he is playful aboard "ship". The manager was dubbed Amazon woman and is not pleasant at times but all the others make up for their failings. Rooms are great and everything is very convenient. If you want to shore dive rent a truck and if you just want to see the island rent a scooter. ~karen

1 Thank Islaholic51
London
Reviewed October 1, 2006

We stayed for 3 days during September 2006 after an exhausting but very enjoyable holiday in Peru. Like other recent reviewers we were concerned about what the hotel would be like but we were pleasantly surprised as it surpassed all expectations and we had a very relaxing time. We had no issues at all with service or security.

Pick up at the airport in the early hours of the morning was fine though not especially welcoming nor was the departure. Our room (G102) was huge with two queen size beds, settee, dining table with four chairs, dressing table plus a walk-in wardrobe, bathroom and a separate toilet. We had a nice view over the beach and beachside bar though this was never noisy after 11 pm.

We ate twice in the hotel in the Tipsy Seagull which has a very nice position beside the sea though the food was variable. We were fortunate to be staying on a Monday which is “Lobster Night” which was very good and not too expensive. On another night we went where they offered there normal menu which was excellent if you wanted shrimp or steak (which were both huge and tasty) but bland if you had duck or lamb which we were assume had been frozen. Service on both occasions was excellent.

There were always plenty of sun beds both on the beach and by the excellent pool swimming pool. The beach itself also has a number of palm trees and other areas where there is shade. Getting in and out of the sea from the beach was difficult because of rocks and dead coral. Snorkelling was great just off the beach with large numbers of interesting fish.

Most of the guests whilst we were there were either divers (mainly from the USA) or KLM aircrew so it’s unlike other Caribbean hotels in that regard. Still, it’s a great place to chill out and have a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Pinner Traveller
Ireland
Reviewed September 16, 2006

I was really worried about some of the reviews I read about this hotel and I have to say that I almost totally disagree.

First of all, the staff were extremely attentive and friendly (In fact, I find it hard to remember another hotel that had such helpful staff). I arrived in from Lima on KLM at 01:30 and I was still checked in very efficiently and escorted to my room despite the late hour.

The facilities were first class and the rooms were really well maintained and clean.

I never dived before but because I was in one of the world's top diving areas, I decided to give it a go. The Toucan Dive Shop catered for beginners and I spent a day with one to one tuition from an instructer and I found it absolutely enjoyable.

The only down-side was the price of accommodation and meals but I understand that this was quite similar other properties on the island.

• Liked — Spacious & well maintained rooms
  • Disliked — Quite Expensive
  • Tips/Secrets — Definitely worth paying a little extra for the Grand Suite with an ocean view room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo