“Love Plaza Resort!”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Kralendijk
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Love Plaza Resort!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just returned and I must say, we fully enjoyed being guest at the resort. The hotel and dive shop (Toucan Diving) staff were friendly, helpful and informative. Rooms are clean and spacious.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the location being close to the Airport. Trust me, it's really not an issue. There is little to no noise. Keep in mind this is not ORD or DFW. The aircraft traffic is very light since it's an island and most of the traffic are smaller aircraft.

The highlight of the trip was when Peter our divemaster, speared a lionfish and gave it to me topside. He then advised me to give it to the chef and they would prepare it for us for lunch. I was expecting to only receive a pan seared filet. Much to my surprise, I was given a fully prepared and gourmet presented lionfish meal with all the trimmings. Bravo!

The only downside was the last day of the trip when a kids baseball tournament came to stay. They kept us up most of the night with there "energy"... Really not the place for large kid groups. And we heard a lot of the same complaints from the other guests the next morning. I'm sure the Hotel will make changes to their policy.

One improvement would be to have carts. The resort is really spread out and lugging gear around can be a choir. It's a good walk from the dive shop (where the dive gear lockers are) to the shore dive area at the hotel. It would be great to have carts available for the guests.

The shore diving at the hotel is very good. Entry is easy and the reef and wall is a short swim. Night diving was especially good. Their are 5-10 large Tarpon will use your lights to hunt with as well as eels, crabs and octopus that hang out there.

Bottom line... We'll be back!

Paul Haines and Family

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ScubaDiver01PH
plazaresortbonaire1, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza Resort Bonaire, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Sir, Madam, thank you to take time for your review of Plaza Resort Bonaire. We very much appreciate to also read reviews of guest's who actually are satisfied all over. We're pleased to hear your praising words and your insights given, which are useful for future guests. We are sure you've had a great time and would love to see you again in Plaza Resort Bonaire soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed with the Plaza with a large group of approximately 90 divers for an event called the Scubaboard Invasion during June/July 2013 for two weeks. The 1st week there was 90 of us and the 2nd week the rest of the group left and only 5 of us from the original group remained. The number of staff working at the resort remained the same for both weeks, that should really say it all right there as there was really only enough staff to keep things going on an average basis during the 2nd week. The 1st week, there clearly was not enough people to provide the level of service that was expected.

My main complaint is that our group (who you would think the Resort would be grateful for over $85,000 in business in just one week), was treated second rate. It seemed that the theme for staff was that "we used to have that, but not anymore... or not for you" whenever we asked for something. You want a large glass for your soda? We are out. You want a bottled water. We only have tap. You want a chocolate souffle, we are out of the butter to make that now. You want the apple pie instead? Sorry, it is to hot to bring out. What??? It's too hot?? Apple pie is meant to be hot... don't get that one? I didn't either.

All that being said, our room was decent - it was one of the older ones, the fan was missing from the ceiling and the bathroom fan was non-existant but it was incredibly huge. The AC worked perfectly (wasn't even overly loud) and the beds were comfortable (on the firm side by I like that). No clothesline or hooks outside but we were on the 2nd floor so we hung our gear over the patio rail to dry and it always was by morning. There was a large table in the room which leant plenty of room for both mine and my partner's camera gear which does take up a lot of room. The patio was also quite large, more than enough room to spread out everything to dry. A plus - there was no towel counting going on - you could grab a towel off the cart, take it in the truck shore diving with you or to the pool. There were towels at the bar (near the pool) and towels on the dive boat. Thank heavens it wasn't like Mexico in regard to signing out a towel and treating it like gold.

As for the diving - you write your name and location on the nitrox tanks and they are delivered to the pool or a 2nd dock (which I didn't dive off of as it was roped off). There are also air tanks available at the pool if you don't feel like signing out the nitrox. No carts for your gear unfortunately and the resort is quite large. I recommend asking for a room near the dive shop (which is also near the parking lot if you're taking a truck out shore diving) however the boat, shore diving, and truck parking were all a very long walk, so there was no central spot for everything and no way to avoid hauling around your gear regardless. Speaking of hauling around your gear, you sign out weights at the start of the week and you have to carry them around the entire time you are there - for both shore and boat diving. How fun is that? The boats should have weight on them so the customers don't have to haul their own along with their gear everywhere. I am on vacation and hauling my gear everything, including weights, was NOT my idea of fun. Also, just for the ladies, there is NO bathroom on the boat FYI. The diving itself and our two guides were AMAZING - Pieter and Jackson - definitely you'd do well with either. All sites were lovely, Karpata, Nearest Point, and Something Special (the latter two being on Klein Bonaire) were my favourites. We were left to dive our computers and never had a dive under an hour, I appreciated that. Also, the shore diving at the resort itself was fantastic. 18 Palms Reef at Plaza is spectacular - both during the day and at night. It is an easy entry and once you've explored once or twice, it's easy to know your way around but you always see something different.

The food is easy with an all inclusive. Buffet, or you could order off a pretty good menu. However, you practically had to set yourself on fire to get a server's attention. I resorted to picking up menus myself off their waiter station and going to the bar to get a drink. Ordering from the menu tended to take at least half an hour. We got into the habit of ordering our entrees with drinks right away and our deserts when the entrees were delivered. This helped with the waiting, A BIT. The croissants on the breakfast buffet are very good, about all I ate for breakfast and do try and order the chocolate souffle from the dinner menu, you'll thank me for that tip. :)

Room Tip: If you are a diver ask for one of the following: 1) If you are renting a truck and doing lots of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
plazaresortbonaire1, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza Resort Bonaire, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Jodelyn, thank you for your extensive, complete review of Plaza Resort Bonaire. Such comments helps us to specify our facilities and capabilities and to inform future guests. We're very delighted to hear your experience, as diver. We certainly take your comments seriously and with us in the upcoming management meetings since we value the experiences of our guests. As you may have noticed, some parts of our Resort are currently undergoing renovation. This benefits to the improvements which were surely needed. We'll take your words about the service with us, since we are focusing lately on providing a decent service quality. Thank you again for all these words, appraisals and comments and we would like to welcome you once again in Plaza Resort Bonaire.
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Plaza Resort for a week in June, 2013. My fiance is African-American and wanted to go somewhere to dive for our vacation. For the most part the staff was friendly and helpful; however, we went to the Coconut Crash bar one night when the resort was having a barbecue on the beach. The big Dutch bartender, Tim, is evidently not used to blacks sitting at his bar expecting service. The bar was not busy but Tim refused to acknowledge us or serve us. We waited a while for service and a little blond boy of about 6 years came and sat at the bar waiting for a refill on his soda. Tim immediately greeted him and asked the other bartender to ask the boy what he wanted. But the second bartender noticed that we had been waiting longer so he approached us first. Tim angrily told him to ask the boy what he wanted first. So the second bartender sheepishly asked us to excuse him while he took the 6 year old's order. There was also a second incident that demonstrates that some of the Plaza staff are not used to serving Black customers. The young blond Dutch chef/cook was in charge of the barbecue that night. When my fiance went to him and asked him for a choice piece of brisket, the cook told him that he is saving that for "the boss"!!!??? But then served it to the white guest behind my fiance in the buffet line. My fiance asked him for brisket again and the cook placed a heaping pile of fat on his plate! The majority of the guests at the Plaza are White. The majority of the workers are locals and Black. There is a clear distinction between the races at the resort. But the management needs to bring a couple of their staff members up to speed and remind them that it is 2013 and that type of blatant racism is outdated and uncouth.

1 Thank Ladan R
plazaresortbonaire1, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza Resort Bonaire, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Ladan, we're actually shocked while reading your review. We're very sorry for your harsh feelings against our service. But, since the involved employees are already for years living and working on Bonaire and have never been involved in such incident the situation is very hard for us. We take your comments very seriously and will gather with the departments involved.

Travelers are raving about these Kralendijk hotels

Midland, Michigan
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Plaza Resort with ~90 other people from ScubaBoard. We felt the rooms were big, nice and clean. The service we received from the staff (all) was very good and we did not have any issues. Diving at the house reef was very good with easy access. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Plaza Resort during another visit to Bonaire.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank zrsteve
plazaresortbonaire1, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza Resort Bonaire, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Steve, kind of you to review on your holiday at Plaza Resort Bonaire. We're very pleased to welcome ScubaBoard. Great to read your positive words. We had such a nice time with you all and hope to see you again in our resort. See you all soon!
upper louisiana
Reviewed June 27, 2013

just got back from a 10 day stay at the plaza resort in Bonaire. The resort itself is very close to the airport but we were never bothered by loud noise from the airport. We originally booked an ocean view Jr. Suit but after I day we upgraded to the ocean view grand suit.... very much worth the extra cost. The rooms were newly renovated and done VERY tastefully. Only flaw I can come up with is 1) no washcloths, don't have a clue why they didn't have them but they didn't but you can go down the road to the small shopping center an buy a couple for 50 cents each. 2) no flat sheet on the beds, you had a fitted bottom sheet then a duvet , while this was nice we are from the south and I like a top sheet. The tile floors were wonderful and the maid service was always very good and honest. The restaurant Banana ??? was good but the hamburgers were terrible so don't get that, their pizza's were pretty good. Not like the food back home but the staff was wonderful. NOTE: these young people work very hard and a tip, smile and polite manner goes a long way. The Dive shop was awesome, great dive masters Ginny, Erica, Estrailia, and Herman where all very good and took excellent care of us. Ditto on the tip info for the dive staff. All in All we had a great stay and will be back.

Room Tip: upgrade to the grand suite it is well worth the money
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cotton_Farmer_Clay
plazaresortbonaire1, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza Resort Bonaire, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Sir, thank you for your submitted online review. We are keen to hear you had a great time at Plaza Resort Bonaire. From your words we can only be happy with our hard working staff and their provided service. We also make notice of your comments, since we'll transfer your question about the top sheet to our lovely ladies of the cleaning and about the washcloths. We also recommend our guests to give us some advice during or by the end of their stay. Don't feel hesitated to contact our Front Office directly. Thank you very much for your feedback and great words. We would like to see you return at Plaza Resort Bonaire! KR, WW.
Gautier, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The staff at the dive shop was amazing.We took our regulators to a local dive shop for service a couple of week's before we left for our first trip to Bonaire. On the first dive, my mouthpiece came off the reg at 40', wow, that was fun. The dive shop did not put a strap on to keep it on the reg, then Keith's Atomic regulator was free flowing.... Ger at Toucan's Diving took his reg apart to discover nothing had been done to it. Since they do not have the parts for Atomic regulators, he reconfigured his to allow him to use his Atomic octopus as his regulator and gave him one of theirs to use - no charge, refusal to take a tip, with a smile on his face. He and Jacob at the shop had to work on Keith's and my equipment and their only concern was that we had a good vacation.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and the food was ridiculous. We enjoyed gourmet meals every night. The chef, Rhasindra Donge will be representing Bonaire next week at the Taste of the Carribean competition in Miami. If someone beats her, I would like to dine with them.
I gained 6 pounds the week we were there. Tuna Sashimi fresh off the boat, Carpaccio, fried goat cheese, lobster bisque, some of the most tender, juicy steaks you have ever had.... guess I could have stopped at gained 6.

Every thing was great. If you are looking for a great scuba vacation, this is it!

1 Thank Mollie H
plazaresortbonaire1, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza Resort Bonaire, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Mollie from the USA, thank you for your effort in writing a review. Great to hear all those praising words. We are keen to hear our improved service and facilities were acknowledged and to your satisfaction. We're pleased to be part of your diving vacation and hope to see you again soon!
Sterlington, Louisiana
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Pros
-Wait staff was very friendly and attentive
-Tim at the bar was really awesome
-Divemaster Pieter was one of the coolest divemaster there
-Huge big rooms - Grand suite

Cons
-Housekeeping not very good and only two towels a day for a room with two divers are enough
-House reef very hard to get out of in the afternoon/night a lot of falling
-Long walks with you gear. Plaza, look at what other resorts are doing.
-very limited lockers, a lot was in poor condition
-long wait on food
-Front office staff is a total mess. several errors and wrong information given to not just us but our group
-Bug problems. it was so bad they had cans of off at the begining and end of the buffet line
-Air conditioning never got cool. It blows directly on you while you on bed.

I would go back to Bonaire. Probably wont return to Plaza especially since it going to all inclusive.

1 Thank Xspect
plazaresortbonaire1, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza Resort Bonaire, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam, first of all thank you for reviewing Plaza Resort Bonaire! Through reviews we receive the feedback we need to improve ourselves. Although you have some remarks, you also showed excelling points, which Plaza can be proud of. We take your comments seriously and these will certainly be discussed. We are sorry to hear some comments, which we actually not heard of before, such as service and housekeeping. These two are of main importance to us. Though, we ask our guests to please comment on services when guests are actually in the resort. Herewith we would solve your problems directly for a further pleasant stay. Thank you again for your review and we would like to welcome you once again in Plaza Resort Bonaire.