I had read the very mixed reviews on this place, but was encouraged in that recent reviews seemed more positive. In the event, it was a disappointment.
The resort is looking a little tired and run down, though the rooms are a grand size and the beds nice and firm. A major complaint was the wifi. For a resort that sets itself as an upmarket alternative, having no wifi for over half my stay - and a very slow one that dropped out ALL the time for the rest - is just not acceptable in this day and age. Like the hotel, it was all just a little underachieving. Be warned - the wet season brings with it a MASS of mosquitoes, so if you scratch, don't come at this time. The food with the "all inclusive" package is pretty ordinary - but then I suppose one is really there for the diving.
And this is where the place REALLY falls down! I have never met a more surly, sour and unhelpful front of house dive staff as here. In 6 days, I was only able to do morning boat dives on one day, because all mornings had been booked by groups. I suggested the dive centre simply switch schedules for one or 2 days, putting the groups on the afternoon, but they were not prepared to do this. Any couples or singles were thus put on afternoon boats. As the same dive masters accompany boats both morning and afternoon, this meant that no deep dives were possible in the afternoon, as the instructors had done 2 deep dives in the morning. There were no lockers available to store gear - which meant lugging it from the dive boat to the room each day (including weight belt) - tedious. The "one size fits all" rental mask was way too small for my face and leaked the whole time. The centre's excuse for all problems was that they were very full with some big groups. My response was that this was the centre's problem, not mine. So - second grade treatment as a single diver. Couples I spoke to had the same reaction. Safety and pre-dive briefings were pretty variable, depending on the dive instructor. The fact that most divers are experienced is no excuse to slack off on safety etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoyment without limits, an all-inclusive vacation at Plaza Beach Resort Bonaire. This resort offers 126 spacious air conditioned oversized Suites, both Junior Suites and Grand Suites located either next to the Caribbean Sea or next to the marina laguna. Everything is included: from a delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet in our restaurant with sea view to water sport activities, a diving school and a cozy beach bar. With the best beach on Bonaire and a beautiful swimming pool, there is nothing that will stop you from having a vacation to always remember. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Plaza Resort Bonaire reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plaza Resort Bonaire Hotel Kralendijk
- Plaza Hotel Bonaire
- Plaza Hotel Kralendijk
- Plaza Resort Bonaire Kralendijk