Sand Dollar Condominiums
  • Breakfast included
GOOOD Resort(Kralendijk)
Sonrisa(Kralendijk)
View Hotel
All reviewsbari reefdive friendsscreened in porchbonaire dive and adventurebedroom condodive shopeasy accessthrough vrbothe ice cream shopwithin walking distance of restaurantsunits are individually ownedtennis courtsfull kitchennice condoair conditioningthe ground floorthe trade winds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 29, 2010

This has been a very good experience each of the four times I have stayed there. We recommend Sand Dollar to everyone who asks about where to stay in Bonaire. It is above average for dive resorts. Anyone we have talked with that have stayed there have given us similar reports.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

This condominium resort was efficient and centrally located. It is located between the Northern and Southern dive sites. There is a mini market close by and a great little sandwich shop just across the street. The sandwich shop is ELI's and the owner is quite gracious. We had a two bedroom which was spacious and had a nice patio to lounge on after diving all day. Our unit had air conditioning in the bedrooms but not in the living room. However, there is a very nice cross breeze if you leave the kitchen window and patio door open. The dive shop "Bonaire Dive and Adventure is ok and would be much better if the employees ever smiled. The only one who smiled and was helpful was Waldo. On my last day of diving I dropped a tank and bent my yoke. The dive shop would not let me borrow a yoke and said I would have to rent a regulator. I have air integrated and had a weeks worth of information on my computer with all my nitrogen loading info so I did not want to change regulators. I went to their competitor next door and they could not be more helpful and saved my last day. This was the low season so I did not have to deal with crowded dive sites or restuarants. The low season is great due to the good weather and lower prices.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Very cozy and quiet place. Easy check in and great location...next to helpful dive shop and Sunset Grill. (excellent food but pricey.) (Don't recommend eating at Capt. Eddy's. Food was so-so and service was SLOW.) Sand Dollar was very quiet , comfortable and basic, which was fine with us, but to have no meals and to be so basic, we felt it was very pricey. Our shower did not drain well, so showering was a bit uncomfortable. Very strict with towel service, so I do recommend bringing one towel each for the trip. Never found the laundry service, so not sure if it was there. GREAT location..only walking distance to Bari Reef, PADI cert. dive shop, restaurants, Lover's Icecream, and the BEST fresh bakery ever! Seriously...try the bakery. Great croisants, muffins, and mulit grain breads ever. We "googled" Bonairian recipes and went to local market Zhuou Mongs to shop and cook our own meals after being disappointed with the food and prices and SLOW service at other restaurants. Our cooking was on target and delicious. Easy to cook open grill at Sand Dollar. Guests are friendly and become instant friends even in the quiet respectful atmosphere. Watch out for iguanas around picnic tables. They've become accustomed to being fed and EXPECT it, thus they hiss and snap at you if you don't feed them. We only had water, and they were not thrilled with that fact. :-) The small A/C worked great and kept our studio condo very cool no problem. The employees were friendly and very helpful. I highly recommend this place if you want a rustic but comfortable experience, but I still think the price is too expensive compared to other resorts that include meal plans at the same rate. I'd rather the price come down a few hunderd dollars since we enjoyed cooking ourselves.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Georgiadaybreak82
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My wife and I are newly certified divers and decided to travel with a group of 24 people from our local dive shop. Sand Dollar provided the perfect location for us to acclimate ourselves to the type of diving done on Bonaire (shore diving). The room was great with all the necessary amenities. Dive shop was very accommodating and the diving from the pier couldn't have been easier. Breakfast was good with a nice variety. We enjoyed it so much we are booking another week in June, and have asked our dive shop to schedule another trip in December 2010.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank VinoBambinos
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Bonaire is the best for shore diving in the Caribbean- no doubt about it.

Sand Dollar is a hotel where each unit is privately owned, so the accommodations vary. The maid service is good, the units are clean, the restaurant "Eddies" is great- good prices- great food! And the diving and snorkeling are fantastic... 68 species on a snorkel this afternoon (walked out of the unit- to the patio, climbed down the ladder and away I went). Join the owners at sunset to look for the green flash or dive three times a day- it is up to you.

If you want more adventurous diving, rent a truck and stop off at a site on the east side of the island or check out the nature preserve on the north end of the island. If you want to grab a beer with friends, head down to the town for a local bar or an upscale restaurant (one mile away)- or just visit Eddies. If you want to sun and read- grab a towel (blue for outside and white for inside) and walk 40 feet to the patio where you can read and sun with the sound of the ocean just a few feet away.

I recommend Bonaire and I recommend Sand Dollar. Sand Dollar is a good value and a great location... And if you are here for New Years- the island is wild with fireworks!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo