“Sand Dollar service lacking, now rationing soap and toilet paper.”

Sand Dollar Condominiums
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Kralendijk
Indy
“Sand Dollar service lacking, now rationing soap and toilet paper.”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is our eighth time to stay with Sand Dollar and unfortunately may be the last. We loved our room (B5). Its the 2nd time we stayed there.We love the location, the convenience, Eddys Bar and Grill, and Bari Reef.

But the service at Sand Dollar must be reflective of new management or the lack thereof. While I could really care less about using the internet while I'm there, some in my party needed access for personal and professional reasons. We were there for two weeks and never had internet availability. Eventually those needing access had to go over to the chat and browse to conduct business.

Evidently there is a shortage of toilet paper and soap on the island. We only got rooms cleaned on Mondays and Thursdays.. I'm OK with that, but if that is your plan then provide us with a few extra towels, extra soap, and by all means EXTRA TOILET PAPER! There were four of us in the room, no extra paper left. One of us went to the front office to get extra and were given one roll. When ask for more the little angry man behind the counter refused, saying the maid would bring more later. I had to go over again and ask the same little angry man a few days later and again was told the maid would bring it! Holy Crap! There seems to be a rif between sand dollar and the on site dive center. Evidently sand dollar is building their own dive shop. Really? They can't even keep us in crap paper, how can we expect them to run a proper dive center? They need to be sure they are providing the basic services expected in the provided rooms, before expanding to other ventures.

I hope they get back to where they were a few years ago. We love the location, Bari Reef, the convenience, etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ico400
CatDiveProvo, Marketing at Sand Dollar Condominiums, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your review and your loyalty over the years.

I am sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t as comfortable as it has been in the past and I can assure you that this has nothing to do with any managerial changes that have been made.

Just before your arrival, Bonaire was hit by a terrible thunderstorm. Sand Dollar was struck by lightning 3 times in one night. The roof of the D building was hit and damaged a lot of the televisions and personal internet modems, the lights of the tennis courts were hit and damaged and our wireless antenna was hit and damaged the entire wireless system including all wifi access points.

Although my staff started with repairs early the next morning we have the handicap, like most small Caribbean Islands, that materials and stock are very limited and especially with items as a wireless internet access points and tennis lighting which have to be imported from the US.

We hope to have the repairs finalized by this Tuesday the 16th. During the period of outage we have been offering the use of wireless internet at both Eddy’s Bar & Grill and Between 2 Buns (both on the Sand Dollar property) free of charge.

I truly apologize for all inconveniences and will do my utmost to make your next stay as comfortable as you have experienced in the past.

Charles Vos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Lees Summit, MO
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Great friendly staff, frequent housekeeping, location, location, location. The condos are comfortable and the grounds are well maintained. We ate at Edy's every morning for breakfast. Nice to have someone cook for you and good variety. Atmosphere is very relaxed and most residents do their own thing but very easy to meet other divers. Draws a diverse mix of US, French, Dutch, British, families and groups. Maybe not for everyone but this is our 4th time and will stay there again. Recommended to a friend who had stayed at Divi and Buddy's previously and they now book at Sanddollar for all their viists.
Give it a try and you will return. !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank traveljunkie_MO
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 15, 2012

5th stay at Sand Dollar - We come to dive and do not require fancy digs
We stayed in unit C9 (2 bedroom) this year and last.

The Good
- Good value for clean unit with screened in porch, ocean view and good AC
- Easy access to Bari Reef when diving with collated dive shop BDA (Bonaire Dive and Adventure)
- 24/7 access to tanks for shore diving with BDA package
- Bari Reef itself is fantastic diving
- Breakfast package with Eddy's
- Friendly service.. the staff is great

The Bad
- It's time for C9 to get a general renovation and an update. The unit overall is worn and tired, shower doors are corroded and bathrooms smell of mildew.
- Sand Dollar and BDA are having some sort of snit (more on this later)

The Ugly
- We saw a rat run accross the floor in the living room last year (we named him Ricky)
- We heard Ricky scratching around again this year in his usual hiding place
- When your guests start naming the rat, it's time to eliminate the rat

BDA commentary
For five years we have taken the package with BDA and have been very satisfied.
For some unknown reason Sand Dollar has decided to de-partner with BDA and partner with another dive shop. This does not serve customers well. Which option would you rather take:
1. 24/7 access to tanks, gear locker, rinse tanks and dock facilities at the collated dive shop
2. Get up each morning and drive around Bonaire to get your tanks. Store your stinky gear in your room

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bud P
CatDiveProvo, Marketing at Sand Dollar Condominiums, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Bud P. & BDA,

As you have noticed I have removed a part of my reaction which was posted last week. It was unfair of me to bring BDA’s good name into controversy. I am glad to hear that you have happily been diving with BDA for so long and I hope you continue doing so for many years to come. Just to properly react to you above statement, we have not de-partnered with BDA but as you can see on our website we just offer two different dive suppliers.
I would like to apologize to you and to BDA for the unfortunate situation and we hope to see you on Bonaire soon again.

Sand Dollar Condominium Resort
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We have been happy Sand Dollar customers for the last ten years but will NEVER stay there again...or should I say here again as I am sitting in the living room of unit E2 at 1:57AM local time trying to figure out what in the hell the new management was thinking when they scheduled a loud party at Eddys restaurant with live music until 3AM that is 100 ft from my door. Did I mention that I'm on the 7:00AM flight out later today?

But this is just the last event in a week of Sand Dollar disasters.

First, when we arrived, no one was here to meet us after we confirms twice that someone would. E here to give us our condo keys.

Second, the only shade by the ocean was torn down while I was sitting under it so that they could build new ones. When I asked why they couldn't tear one down and leave the other up for their guests while they built the new one, I was told that it is easier for the handyman to do both at once and that no accommodation would be made for guests. Clearly the handyman's convenience is more important than the paying guests. But the management told me not to worry as the new cabanas would be ready by the end of the week. Well, I'm only here a week!!!! BTW-it's the end of the week and you guessed it NO CABANA!

Third, the unit directly below us was having air conditioning installed and for some reason that involved jackhammer into the concrete walls for 8-10 hours a day for 3 days. We were given no notice or apology just nonstop ear splitting, teeth rattling noise.

Fourth, we were told that this was the last available 3 bedroom condo but when we got there, the Sand Dollar was only 25 percent full. If they had just used a little common sense and located us in a different building, none of this would have been an issue.

Fifth, every time that we have stayed here for the past 10 years we have had daily maid service but this time it was only Monday and Thursday. I can live without daily maid service but it would have been nice if they had told us that the maid service was only 2 days a week instead of letting us find out when the maid didn't show up and we were out of towels.
So if you hate customer service of any kind, don't want a good night's sleep, and like to pay for things that you aren't getting, the Sand Dollar is the place for you.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all...ever!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Katie G
, General Manager at Sand Dollar Condominiums, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Good morning Katie,

I would like to thank you for taking the time for sharing your Sand Dollar experience with me. None of the above mentioned nuisances should have occurred and I would like to offer you my sincere apologies.
As you mentioned, you have been a happy visitor to the Sand Dollar for over 10 years now. Even though the occurrences where a true disturbance to your holiday experience I hope that you can see that we are working hard making improvements.
Customer service is the most important thing to me and the Sand Dollar, and I will take the proper measures to prevent such disturbances in the future.
I would like furthermore to resolve this issue with you personally as I have failed in my customer services towards you and your family and I would like to make that right with you.
Would you be so kind as to send me your contact information at gm@sanddollarbonaire.com. Afterwards I will contact you as soon as possible.

Thank you very much.

Bethesda Maryland
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We keep coming back because it is simply the most laid back friendly place to stay. We stay in a building close to the dive shop, second floor. Make sure you get a screened porch. Internet costs $25 a week but works well.

Room Tip: Second floor have better views, first floor more convenient
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Emeritus24
Spokane Valley, Washington
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We always enjoy our stay at Patrick and Susan's A-3 condo. We have been and stayed their five times in the past 3 years. We just got back from our first two week vacation. It will never be one week again. The location is amazing ground floor right next to the dive shop which both are located right in front of Bari Reef. We had remarkable dives everyday right outside our front door on Bari Reef. There is a small sandy beach were you can walk in for a quick swim or snorkel. We thoroughly enjoyed to see the manta, octopus, and many more amazing underwater life. Plus, the wild life is right outside your door being many different types of species of birds, iguanas and always a very friendly cat or two.You have a spectacular ocean front view from the screened in patio. The condo is very clean, decorated nicely and it gives you feeling of home being very spacious for a studio. It is fully stocked with all the kitchen necessities you would need. They also provide nice reference books and information about the reefs and the island. With in walking distance you had many choices of eating establishments. Patrick and Susan are the most accommodating hosts and will do anything to make your stay amazing! I can not recommend a better place to stay. We have already booked with them our next two week vacation for 2013.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sealea1784998
Brentwood, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The 2 bedroom condo(f20) was very nice. The dive shop nearby Bonaire Dive Adventure wasn,t great. If you stay here I would recomend using a different shop like Capt. Dons or Buddy Dive. The onsite restaurant (Eddys) was closed most of the week. I spoke to the owner and was told there used to be a package deal with the restaurant ,and Eddys included but the Sand Dollar stopped it. They may start the package up again. The breakfast buffet there was very good for $11.

Room Tip: We stayed in F20, and it was very comfortable with a great kitchen,2 bedrooms with full batrooms wit...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family