If you are a person that is bothered by mosquitoes you will need to bring some deet because the Bonairean mosquitoes will tear you up! Hungry and aggressive during their feeding times of evening and early morning. They start as soon as you get off the plane so if you are doing the red eye flight arriving in the morning they will be waiting for you. We left he airport and headed to the Divi Flamingo which is a short 10 min. ride away. I emailed the Divi the night before to insure there would be no problems with our reservations and got a name during the process. They already had all of my paperwork processed and waiting for me. This went like clockwork. I rented our rooms for the previous night so I didn’t have to wait until 2pm to check in. They will try to put you in a room when you get there but the only way to guarantee that you will not be homeless until 2pm is to rent it the night before. Don’t underestimate this small detail because it is huge when you are attempting to coordinate all that needs to happen when you get there. Breakfast starts at 7am followed by the Dive briefing at 9am. You want that room so you can start unpacking and are ready to go right after the briefing. If you have to wait until 2pm to check in you lose a lot of the first day. Our party of 4 stayed at the Divi Flamingo from October 14th thru the 24th 2010. We stayed in rooms 701 and 705. These rooms each have 2 queen size beds and a full kitchen. Both rooms were nice and the beds were very comfortable. If you bring rechargeable batteries plan on dealing with 127 volts 50 Hz. So what does that mean: If you bring a hairdryer for example the heating element would not be a problem but the fan motor that is made for 60Hz can burn-out. Adaptors for battery chargers, Laptops or cellular phones has a transformer in it and burns out if it is only made for 60 Hertz. How did I find out about this? I am trying to find another power transformer for a rechargeable battery that got fried. Not to worry the dive shop maintains 2 power strips that have a stabilized 120 60 Hz. For American made rechargeable devices. Found out after the fact. The dive shop is very well stocked and can accommodate for anything that was left behind or broken in travel. They rent everything you would need. Here is a travel tip that I will use the next time I go in March 2011. Continental charges $35.00 for a second 50 pound bag. I plan on packing 50 pounds of food in that second bag. Protein bars, Snacks etc. Food on the island (if you are not a local) is extremely expensive and the selection is sparse. Diving was superb! Water temperature hung around 83 degrees and visibility more that 100 feet. Had no problems with anyone trying to sell us stuff or bother us. Everybody left you alone to enjoy yourself. No reports of theft. The only annoyances were from the people that live next door to the Divi. They have a parrot that screams the name “Melissa” until you want to go hit it in the head with a rock. Lol and one of the dive masters that wears women panties on the boat. Some called it a Speedo but it looked like women panties to me. Lol The Hotel is old and we did look at the alternatives while we were there but you just can't beat the location. It’s close to town and makes for a nice walk to the City Café in the evenings just bring deet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Divi Flamingo Beach Resort & Casino allows you to experience the simple pleasure of tropical life. Whether you want to lounge around all day by one of our two freshwater pools, test your luck in our on-site casino at night, relax with a massage in the on-site spa, or scuba dive and snorkel through the beautiful Caribbean ocean, our Bonaire resort offers a truly memorable experience for all ages. Divi Flamingo is colorful, laidback, and fun; our resort and casino serves as the perfect home base for divers and vacationers drawn to explore the unpretentious island and stunning waters surrounding Bonaire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Divi Flamingo Beach Hotel Kralendijk
- Divi Flamingo Beach Resort And Casino Bonaire/Kralendijk