“Bonaire”

Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Kralendijk
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the Divi Flamingo hotel and resort in Bonaire, I found the front desk staff to be somewhat remote and unresponsive in addressing the needs of my self or other members of my party. The room was adequate in size but definitely showed wear, the bathroom and shower were not the cleanest. On a positive note the beds were very comfortable, however the pillows were in need of replacement. The breakfast buffet was adequate but unremarkable. The restaurant for lunch offered a good selection to chose from. Maintenance was not at the top of priorities for this location, the ice maker didn't work and overall the exterior need to be freshened up

The dive shop at this hotel was out standing, the staff was great. Serge (the manager) was terrific, seeking out how he could better serve the divers. Alvin, the assistant Dive Shop Manager was also terrific. The Master Dive staff was terrific, their help on the boats was great. While I don't have experience with all of them I will mention Laurel, Orlando, and Enrique - it was a pleasure working with them

I will return to the Divi Flamingo for no other reason than the Dive Shop, it's staff and accessibility.

Room Tip: The time share quarters are a good size and feature a kitchenette which I found to be a convenience...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Farrenjw
Melissa T, Manager at Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Farrenjw,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments from your stay at our hotel. We truly appreciate your honesty regarding both your possitive and negative experiences while you were a guest at our property. I would like to inform you that a complete room renovation is planned for our hotel over the next year to bring our hotel a more updated and fresh look. We also appreciate your comments regarding your pillows, the broken ice machine and cleanliness; as these are issues we can immediatly address. I would also like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our Dive Shop and staff. We thank you for noting the staff that you had your experiences with.It always rewarding to both us and our staff members to be recognized for their hard work and guest service.

Thank you again for your comments. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future and are given the opportunity to make up for the poor experiences you had with our cleanliness, Front Desk, and maintenance issues. Please feel free to contact us directly should you wish to return to our hotel, we would welcome the chance to right our wrongs on a future stay.

Divi Flamingo Beach Resort & Casino Bonaire

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Bonaire is an island to dive every day! and this hotel offers just what you need for it. We were in a standard room (num 101), with a nice balcony to watch the sea and a lovely sunset everyday. The room had refrigerator, air conditioner (both very important things in the island), 2 big double beds, a big bathroom and an LCD TV.We also had 2 chairs and a table inside the room, and another ones in the balcony.

The hotel have 2 pools but you really never used them, because the sea is like a pool in Bonaire and you have it just there!
The hotel has a Hertz agency inside. We rented a car with them (everything ok). Consider this point because you don't have many options to move around the island (the rentals begins in 35usd per day for an economic car).

The hotel has a dive operator inside: Divi Dive Bonaire. Excellent option to dive with!. They are a 5 star Padi operator, they are very well organized, they are very nice people and it is very confortable to have all your diving stuff in a locker they give you. You can have unlimited air everyday! Prices are reasonable.
About breakfast, it is very complete if you like the american choice (eggs, bacon, cereals, donauts, fruits, etc) It costs 14 usd (october '13).
The hotel gives you towells for the beach. Very usufull !
The location was ok: near the airport and near some good restaurants and shops. You also have a supermarket, 3 minutes walk.
You can snorkel or dive in the hotel reef: "Calabas reef". Just a paradise in front of your room!
I will defenitely back to this hotel. Hope it can be soon to have more divings in Bonaire!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa T, Manager at Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Laly_Viajera,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at Divi Flamingo. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel, rooms, and most of all Dive operation. It is great to read that you liked our breakfast, towels, and car rental service.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back again in the future and hope that you contact us directly so we can make sure your stay is as great as your last. Please remember to mention any room areas that you liked when making your bookings so we can try to reserve you a room where you would most like to be.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The rooms are nicely decorated and the patio screened in. The location of the resort allows walking access to the town. Best of all is the onsite diving! We saw numerous eels, an octopus and sea horses on the shore dive at this resort! The food is good and service was exceptional!

Room Tip: All rooms are good--we had a studio on the second floor with ocean view. Beautiful!
2  Thank Patricia T

Dear PatriciaT,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to read that a guest was satisfied with our location, service, and rooms. We are so glad that you saw so much while diving and enjoyed our reef.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future and invite you to contact us directly when you do so we can make sure that your next stay is as great as your last.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Divi up on the second floor - near dive shop from Oct 19, 2013 - Oct 26, 2013. The resort staff could not have been more helpful. The room was clean, the a/c was super cold given the 98 degree heat, that water hot and clean. The room came with a great kitchenette where we could cook and it also had an excellent view of the little waterfall into the hot tub.

The Divi reef is good, but going further by car you will see more marine life such as turtles where boat traffic is more limited.

The Divi's best asset is Mirna. She has been there a long time and is the customer service concierge. She could have not been more helpful.

My husband and I took a fishing charter with Chris Piscatur for $450. He took us out on a broken boat that was leaking oil/gas and smoking out to the channel. The engine broke, he turned on the other one, it broke or was already broken. We were eventually towed back to shore. On the way back he said he lost $200 of gas into the Marine Park. All for 2 barracuda and a very small tuna that would never pass size in the states. He charged us $400. When I explained this to Mirna, she called him and told him he did not do us good. He still refused ua a refund but she tried her best.

Room Tip: 739 is right in front of waterfall, screened in 2nd floor porch
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Melissa T, Manager at Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear ScubaBeth 2013,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially enjoyed our staff member, Mirna. It is always encouraging to hear guests are happy with our hotel as well as the service our staff provides.

We thank you again for your comments and review. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future and invite you to contact us directly so we can ensure your stay is as good as your last.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

In Bonaire there are limited jobs do you would think the staff at the Divi would want to work hard to keep their jobs. NOT THE CASE. At this hotel I can look past the dirty rooms, the general shabbiness of the property, broken items in my room and the lack of a decent beach. It was the rudeness of the staff that really ruined the holiday.
There were five staff working at the bar, with not a customer in sight but you still had to stand there and wait just to get a beer. Even then you were treated like you were interrupting their important conversation in expecting some basic service. But the only thing worse than the bar and restaurant service was the reception desk. The woman working the desk was rude and the most unpleasant and unhelpful person I had the misfortune of dealing with at the hotel.
Don't let the hotels pictures fool you. This may have been a nice hotel 30 years ago but it has not been updated or maintained. Unlike the picture there is no beach, that sand was washed away in a storm years ago. Now you walk down the stone pier and get into the water down a wooden staircase.

• Stayed: November 2013
6  Thank BusinessFlyr

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your stay here at the Divi Flamingo. Needless to say, we are very disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction with our hotel, staff, and service. I sincerely apologize for poor experience you encountered and can only hope for the opportunity to make it up to you. I hope that we can discuss what happened directly so I may address what happened with you and hopefully restore some of your confidence in our hotel. I ask that you please email me your name and date of stay so I may contact you and personally apologize for the experience you had during your stay with us.

I hope to hear from you. It is my hope that we can turn your opinion of our hotel around and welcome you back to our property in the future.

Thank you again for your comments, please rest assured all of your feedback will be addressed with the appropriate staff and departments of the hotel.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks here at Divi and really liked it.
I'll start by saying the diving was great right out our own front door. The reef there is nice and we saw seahorses, huge tarpon and so many fish. Even non-divers would enjoy the snorkeling.
The rooms could use a little fresh paint and some upgrades. The kitchen was nice with fridge, microwave and coffee maker ... all you need to make a few meals. Note(restaurants are very pricey in Bonaire) The beds were REALLY comfortable with lots of big pillows!!
We had a second floor room with a nice view.
Breakfast is the same stuff every day, but even after 2 weeks there was enough that you could eat something different most days.
The pool was nice and cleaned every day. The spa was basic, but the gym was very nice and clean.
The beach bar was pretty small, but the bar staff were very nice.
Quiet and semi-secure ( our deck was upstairs and screened in) but parking was very open.
The hotel is walking distance to town , and a small market is right across the street.
We never made it to the onsite Casino, but it looked nice inside.
We looked at all the other top dive resorts and think Divi, with it's location to town, price and great Dive Masters and staff made our stay. We'd stay here again!!
We rented a car for 3 days and felt that was enough to get to see the island and a few of the dive sites we didn't hit by boat. You didn't need a car the whole time staying here because town was so close. Taxis run about $10 to town one way.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms were nice, but the bungalows in back were nice too. Top floor is more private, but...
1  Thank scubalush2001

Dear ScubaLush 2001,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay on Trip Advisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and experience here at Divi, and even better that you will return to us again in the future.
Thank you for your comments regarding our beds, staff, service, breakfast, bar and of course our great dive department. It is always wonderful to hear when guests leave our hotel happy and with a great experience full of memories.

We look forward to welcome you back again in the future, and invite you to contact us directly so we can ensure that your stay with us is as great as your last!

Assistant to Hetty van den Ouweelen

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My expectations were very high. I had wanted to go diving in Bonaire since I first started diving more than 30 years ago. I had listened enraptured to a then young woman named Dee Scarr from Bonaire describe their underwater world and explain how one could learn to gently interact with the sea (Touch the Sea).

So when it cam time to plan a very special vacation for my 60th birthday, Bonaire was at the top of my list. I did some research and selected the Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Divi Dive Bonaire largely due to the outstanding reviews I'd seen on Trip Advisor and I liked their location - close enough to town to walk.

They surpassed every expectation. Our waterfront room was ready and waiting for us when we arrived at 7:00 AM on a Saturday. (Advice: If you're arriving early, book the extra room night so you can relax and unpack rather than chance your room not being available until the afternoon.) The king-size bed was a nice surprise and it was soooo comfortable. There was ample storage space to stow away our clothing and bags. And the refrigerator was perfect for filling with beverages and snacks from the Sunshine Market across the street. We also loved our balcony but then what's not to love about sitting just a few feet from the gorgeous Caribbean? The bathroom was adequate. Everything worked even if the flow from the shower was rather light during peak times...there was always hot water.

While not normally a big breakfast eater, the buffet with cooked-to-order eggs, omelets, and pancakes was a real treat before going diving. We usually snacked for lunch but had BBQ dinner one evening on property and it was very good, too.

The Divi Dive operation is fantastic. Serge, Alvin, Endro, Enrique, and team do wonderful jobs making sure you know the "rules of the reef" and get the maximum enjoyment out of your vacation. We opted for 3 boat dives a day (and we did a couple of shore dives from the Divi pier - one at night) because although we could have gotten tanks and taken them other places for shore dives, lugging around tanks and heavy gear just weren't our idea of vacation fun and sounded too much like work. We were given nice, large lockers out on the pier just a few steps from the boats and wash tanks. The boats tie up to moorings which mark the many reefs along Bonaire's and Klein Bonaire's shores. Entries were easy as were exits and the divemasters were also great guides, pointing out wonderful marine creatures like my new favorite, the frog fish.

You can't always tell how good any business is until you experience a problem. The Divi Dive team have my business for a lifetime because of the way they handled 2 situations. They realized accommodating a severely handicapped person on a boat full of non-disabled divers just didn't work due to logistics. So they made changes the next day which made her experience and the rest of ours much better. And another diver landed on me, causing me to slash open my palm on a piece of sharp hard coral. After the dive Laurel applied first aid and then arranged for someone to take me to the local ER for treatment which was very much appreciated.

The reefs are clear indicators that Bonaire's conservation efforts are working. They are lush and teeming with fishes of all varieties and from juveniles to adults. The sea fans and soft corals often are 5' or more tall. If there is an underwater Garden of Eden on earth, this is it for sure. The beauty is so magnificent, it brought tears to my eyes. And it's not a matter of if I go back to Bonaire...it's when. Although this started out as a trip of a lifetime, Bonaire and the Divi team are now friends and I am already making plans to go back next spring.

Room Tip: Splurge and go for the oceanfront rooms.

Dear Diving Debbie,

It was wonderful to read your comments! We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your experience with us on Trip Advisor, and have passed on your positive mentions of our staff to our Dive Department. We are so glad that you enjoyed our hotel, food, BBQ, view, location, and dive operation. Most of all, we are thrilled that you have a love and appreciation for Bonaire and it's natural reefs.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back to Bonaire and Divi in the future. Please feel free to contact us when you return so we can make sure that your future stays are as great as your last....also making sure we find lots of Frog Fish for you to see!