“Enjoyed the visit and would stay there again (July 4th, 2013)”

Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Kralendijk
S.C.
“Enjoyed the visit and would stay there again (July 4th, 2013)”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I visited the resort for the week of July 4th, 2013, with a group of divers. I figured it would be the typical dive retreat with minimum on everything, but I was pleased with what I found.

My group arrived late in the evening on June 29th. I believe it was around midnight. Check-in went smoothly. Me and my buddy were traveling with a non-diver and because of the makeup of the group, we were given a studio apartment.

The Room:

Studio room descriptions are hard to find on the Internet. Well, at least in my opinion. The pictures leave a lot to the imagination. With that said, I still forgot to get a picture of the room. Imagine a longer rectangle like a shoe box. The first third of the room as you enter the door is a small kitchen area. Two burner stove, sink and cabinets. Next to it, a tiny bathroom. The door on the bathroom slides rather than opening in or out. Obviously an attempt to save space, but the door in my room did not close completely and left a small gap when it was shut.

The rest of the room is made up the bedroom and dressers. A small television, AC control and ceiling fan. Beyond this is a living room with small coffee table, couch and chair. Finally a sliding glass door opens to a screened porch. There are no walls separating any of it, so do not expect privacy. I think the couch also opens into a bed. Never tried it.

Housekeeping:

Phew.. this was probably my major complaint for the entire trip. Housekeeping seemed disorganized. I truly believe it was a language issue more than anything else. It took forever to for them to get into the room. When they did, it seemed a quick clean and not an intense clean. I'm not sure if my sheets were changed once, and I struggled to ever get enough towels in the room for everyone. Seems they would know that three people in a room probably need three towels a day. Took half a week to get this right. Trips to the front desk were futile. I always ended up getting a younger brunette with poor English skills that never seemed to understand exactly what I wanted.

The Diving:

The dive shop is great. Full service. After an initial orientation to the area and a dive to check weights, you are free to explore where you like on the grounds or about the island. They will give a you a code to the locked up tanks stored at the front for island excursions. If you dive from the dock, tanks are available 24/7. Lockers are provided. Bring a lock to lock it up at night. They have a means to check the nitrox tanks, but after 5, the shop closes and its is impossible to get the analyzer. They encourage you to check tanks prior to this time and put them in front/inside of your locker. Not really a hassle for me. I just analyzed early in the day if I planned a night dive.

Dining:

The Chibi Chibi is onsite. Service in this place is BEYOND slow, and I really don't know if I can attribute it to "island time." It takes forever to get your order in and you will ask for the check or wait for someone to eventually find their way back to your table. I'm not sure if it is fair to blame this on the staff or the resort. I say this because the staff seemed to stay busy.. There just did not seem to be enough of them to accommodate the lunch/dinner traffic.

Plenty of dining off the resort within a short walk to town. I felt safe everytime I walked somewhere, but I used the typical common sense rule of traveling in a pack and not wandering around in the wee hours of the morning. Prices seemed comparable to stateside pricing, and I was pleased with my meals in all of the restaurants.

Travel:

I flew InselAir out of Charlotte. I think the flight was smooth and easy. There was a delay in takeoff because someone didn't file a flight plan... Once in the air, I felt I was attended to by the service staff frequently. They fed us and made certain we had plenty to drink. They DO NOT serve alcohol on their flights. Once on Curacao, you catch a turboprop over to Bonaire. By the time it gets in the air, its time to land. The turboprop was hot as hell, the young lady that was service on the plane did not appear to want to be there. In her defense, it was quite late, and I'd imagine she was ready to go. To tell the truth was too.

Overall, I enjoyed the place and I felt like most of my needs were fulfilled. I wish they had a little more on the resort for non-divers to do, but it is a dive resort. They will help plan shore excursions, but that it about it. Still, I would go back tomorrow if I had the money and time available. Diving is top notch.

Room Tip: If you are diving or staying a long time... opt for a studio. They are next to the dive shop and com...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank maxnsc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed in Divi Flamingo Beach resort for 5 days in May 2013. Our room was perfect; King sized (and very comfortable!) beds, clean, there was a coffee and tea maker, and most important: not only ocean view - beautiful sunsets are included and guaranteed-, but we could actually enter the ocean from our balcony! We absolutely loved it.

About the resort: The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and well organized: lots of choice and a fresh egg/pancake corner. The resort is located on walking distance from the center and other bars & restaurants.

We will definitely stay there again during our next visit!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 1, 2013

For years I had been told of the tremendous diving that exists around the island of Bonaire. I was part of a larger group (15) of divers visiting Bonaire for the first time. Our trip organizer selected Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino.

With our only plans being scuba diving the Divi Flamingo Beach Resort provided a one stop resort so we could do just that -dive.

Upon our arrival Hetty, the general manager, met us in the lobby and made us all feel like we were at our home-away-from-home.

The rooms are modest and comfortable. There are two pools on the property one located at each end.

Breakfast was include as part of our dive trip package. Breakfasts are served buffet style with ample varieties of breads, pastries, fruits and meats. Omelets and pancakes are made to order. If you go hungry it's your fault.

Daily we had lunch in the Chibi Chibi restaurant. Prices are a little high but not outrageous - go for it. The service is peasant and very friendly. No rush to give the check so if you need to be back at the dive boat tell them.

The dive operation is very nice with the crews open and accommodating for desired dive sites. More importantly very helpful and outgoing. Most of all the dive locations were spectacular.

Hetty told us that others had told them to focus on providing a good value. They succeeded!

Thank you Divi Flamingo Beach Resort for providing everything and more during our/my stay.

Benton, Kentucky
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived on June 8 and departed on June 15, 2013. From the pick up at the airport to our 5:45 am departure from the resort, everything our small group encountered was wonderful. The room were oceanfront, directly in front of the dive boats, and perfectly positioned to view an incredible sunset every night. Breakfast, individually prepare as part of our package, got our days of to an excellent start. Then a short hop to the dive boat, and our world class diving on Sunshine with Luis and Rofino began. A different dive site every day on either Klein Bonaire or the leeward side of Bonaire, were breathtaking. Although the boat was slower than most, and therefore the choices of dive sites limited by the lock, each and every one was inspiring to our small group of divers. Picture taking never stopped. Each site provided so many opportunities. From the gray frog fish, to the docile octopus, we rarely had the minute that something didn't swim in our path, saying leave your bubbles and take our picture. After a scrumptious lunch at the house restaurant, Chibi Chibi, an afternoon nap became a new and welcome addition to our daily routine. Then on to to dive lockers, gear up for the afternoon dive on their house reef that included a resident sea horse and a couple of juvenile trunk fish (still in the "marble looking" phase). Rinse our gear, back to the room that was freshened every morning during the boat dives, shower up, and a short walk to one of many local restaurants for a mouthwatering dinner.
Many needs were met by the great service of their staff. They would call and make reservations at restaurants for us, give great directions, and even drop us off and then later pick us up at one of the new local markets the were amply supplied.
The only bump in our trip was some minor problems they were having making their wi-fi available. When it was down, they made their business office service available to us at no charge.
In closing, our group had a fantastic time at Divi and hope to return again next June.

Room Tip: We always upgrade to the oceanfront rooms for a sunset view every night and to hear the waves rollin...
1 Thank Chuck B
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stay 3 days and 2 nights at the Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino just a few days ago. Despite having not received confirmation of my booking through Hotels.com, the reception staff handled the mix up perfectly; I have certainly been in situations at other hotels before where I was put through a great deal of hassle even after presenting my own confirmation emails.

The rooms was comfortable and the air conditioning cold. The staff were warm and friendly almost without exception (though I wished the staff at the small bar wouldn't disappear quite so often).

The onsite dive shop is managed masterfully and was an exception dive center.

I cannot wait for a longer stay in the very near future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Scott H
Austin, TX
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Excellent location, friendly and helpful staff (dive shop less so), a little pricey but you can find package deals that drive the cost down considerably. We are snorkelers and Bonaire is mostly geared toward divers, but with a little persistence you can ferret out fantastic snorkel sites. We had a full apartment in the time-share section with a screened-in porch (bugs can be bad) and room to scatter drying swim suits, rash shirts and fins/mask/snorkel, etc. (photo attached) The pier just off the bar by the casino has a fine variety of local fish: parrots of all types, trunk fish, file fish, grunts, sargent majors, several types of wrasse, etc. The day we arrived an apartment neighbor showed us a video of an octopus from the same area. We saw a resident porcupine who hangs out under a ledge by the bar. You can walk with your gear to 18 Palms, the very best shore snorkel we found on the island. A mini-mart 1/2 a block away has the basics for cheap breakfast and lunch and you can walk to most of the best restaurants in Kralendijk in 30 minutes or less. The casino is pretty lame, but they do have live blackjack and heaping gobs of smokey air. The place has a great funky Key West ambiance and was totally relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 700 block face a nice pool and are quiet, clean and handy to the beach (note this was J...
2 Thank Lobogris43
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have just returned from a week's trip to Bonaire (June 2013) and had such a great experience that we felt compelled to write our first ever review! Firstly, the resort accommodation and facilities are good and well maintained, the setting is of course beautiful, and the reception and restaurant staff are friendly and helpful. But what makes this place really stand out is Divi Dive. Between us, we have dived in a lot of different places and countries, but this place has by far and away the best set-up and is the most organised and well thought-out in terms of little touches that make the whole experience easier and more relaxed (for example, lockers right by the boat so that you don't have to lug your dive gear about!). The aspect which stood out to us the most however was the attention to customer service. Serge and his team in the dive shop were always very helpful and friendly. On the first day, my BCD started self-inflating, so Serge spent a good 30 minutes taking it apart, finding the fault and replacing the valve - all for no cost and without complaint! My husband's reg second stage started free-flowing on the second day and again, the shop took it in and did their best to mend it over night - no charge again! It is touches like this that really make a difference to a trip. The dive masters and boat captains are all great; we dived a lot with Luis and Rofinio who were fantastic - they knew exactly what they were doing but at the same time were relaxed and created a fun atmosphere during trips. Basically, you can tell that the whole team care about what they are doing and hold customer satisfaction as paramount. We would highly recommend Divi Flamingo and Divi Dive for anyone taking a trip to Bonaire!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple