“Diveheart stay at Divi Flamingo”

Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Kralendijk
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We just returned from a weeks stay at Divi Flamingo witha group of 16 including 5 people with disabilities. The hotel staff was extremely accomadating and the dive operation was absolutely top notch! Serge, Ruud and Max were very helpful espiecally with our special needs divers. This was my 4th stay at Divi, 3 stays with divers with disabilities. I look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: The studio units were very roomy, conveniently located close to the dive shop and equipped with a fu...
1  Thank Dawn E

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed on the 2nd floor of the time share units (730). The balcony was a little smaller than the rest as it was in a corner, but we were delighted that it was screened in. It took a bit to learn the 'ins and outs' to the wifi system.....but once we learned all the secrets, it worked perfectly. You are a short walk to shopping, grocery store, restaurants, bars, etc. You can snorkel almost from your doorstep. Excellent restaurants, bars and dive shop on the premises. You can easily stay here without needing a vehicle rental. If you wish to do the Washington Slagbaii Park, just rent a truck for the day and keep your money for the rest of the week. I loved the Park, but must share that it was not as enjoyable for my spouse who negotiated the drive which did not enable him to enjoy the sites as much. If you are there at the end of April, make sure you take a shuttle to Rincon for Rincon Days! What a party. This island is not Aruba or St. Maarten..........what a treasure it is. Definitely, no matter where you went on the island of Bonaire, it was like being in a small town. I'm totally enchanted.

Room Tip: 2nd floor time share units afford a nicer view in my personal opinion, however you will want 1st flo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dlynnphill
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Perfect for a week of diving. Pay an extra amount for the dive package, and you get all the boat dives and shore dives you could possibly want. Buffet breakfast served daily allows you to eat what you want before diving. The reefs are still in pretty good shape - plenty of color and variety of life.
I took the "Advanced Open Water" PADI course while I was there. The dive shop was awesome to work with - everyone there is top notch.
If I ever decide to take more PADI courses, I definitely will be doing them at resorts like this one. If I'd have know better about doing PADI courses when I was doing the initial "Open Water" cert, I would have done it at a resort. No more Blue Hole. Having lockers on the dock is really a big plus. (no hauling equipment back and forth) The dive shop Manager, Serge, never seems to miss a beat. You can tell him things in passing, and he remembers to follow up on whatever you asked. Divemasters were excellent for taking PADI courses.
The nicest thing about the boat dives is they take your tank off upon immediately coming out of the water - that was nice - didn't have to carry tank back to station. Saved on back strain.
I would definitely go back to this resort in the future.

Room Tip: You might inspect the room for dampness when you get there. Ours seemed to harbor a mildewy feeling...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tgroebner
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First trip to Bonaire so I have nothing to compare this with locally. We came here with two other couples for a week of diving and snorkeling.

Check-in was fine though leisurely. Folks on the front desk were warm and welcoming. Our room was ready right away (it was 3:30PM) and off we went.

We had a ground floor pool-view (standard) room with two double beds (number 304). The location is great if you want a little distance between you and the restaurant and bar noise and being on the ground floor is something I prefer. The room is not glamorous but perfectly fine for a dive vacation. The rug was a little ratty, the colors a little dark but otherwise it was fine. AC worked well and was reasonably quiet which is good because the ceiling fan was so out of balance we could not turn it on without it hitting the ceiling joists. Bathroom has a small screened window that opens to the utility area behind the building. Even when closed the bathroom let in a lot of warm air. We kept the door closed to keep the cool in the rest of the room. There was a small dog somewhere back there that can bark for ages. A true marathoner. Like other places we've stayed the hot and cold water pipes are randomly swapped but except for one morning there was plenty of hot water. The patio area was nice with two comfortable chairs and a table. The problem was that the AC unit condenser is on the wall at chair level and makes half of the patio unbearably hot. Our friends who had second level rooms with balconies had the same experience.

Housekeeping was amusing. We never knew how many of what types of towels we might get each day. Sometimes we'd get a floor mat and one bath towel, sometimes two bath towels and no floor mat. Sometimes we'd get a washcloth, most times not. We once had a hand towel as well which was a treat. We never bothered to try but we heard that beach towels were also hard to come by. I suspect the laundry facility is strained beyond capacity. Housekeeping came by in the mid-afternoon most days. Dirty towels would disappear sometime near noon and new ones appear (randomly) later in the afternoon.

The grounds are nicely maintained. The pool near our room was cleaned every morning and has a nice number of chairs and chaises to lay out on, if you're so inclined. They also had a few large umbrellas that we melanin-challenged folks could hide under. There were a lot of these but groups would share them and that made for some nice conversations. There is s second pool on the other end of the property but it didn't look like they had much shade at all. There is a small section, about 10 feet wide of sand and I suppose that's why they get to call it a beach resort. If you are hoping to walk hand in hand along said beach just be prepared to turn around a lot. However, it is a lovely rocky shoreline and we had a different type of wonderful sunset each day.

The chibi-chibi restaurant had good food but even by island standards the service is slow. I mean real slow. We waited nearly an hour one night just to order and it was not a busy night. Now, everyone was nice and pleasant but no one is staying attentive. We had one dinner that took over two and a half hours. We were so worn out by the waits we skipped a night dive and just went to bed.
We had breakfast many mornings at the Calabas restaurant and the buffet is very nice. Fresh fruit, an omelet station, cold cuts and cheese, yogurt, breads and pastries. No one had a hard time finding something good to eat.
The bar was also one of our haunts and the service there was fine. My wife fell in love with the Nutty Monkey's they make. Happy hour is two-for-one which makes it a good deal.
The Dive shop is well stocked, and well run. Things move slowly, as they do on all islands, but they know what they are doing and only intrude as much as a diver needs. We only did one boat dive with them as we were mostly shore diving but their boats are well equipped, and their briefings are clear and helpful. I would say that the folks are a little reserved but Alvin is the warm extrovert who greats everyone. No one can not like Alvin. If shore diving was not an option, I would have been very happy to go out with this crew all week.

We got a note in our room about the timeshare brief, but no one hounded us and we were allowed to just ignore it. I very much appreciated that.

We tried to get on the internet the day before our departure to print out our boarding passes and it took over 30 minutes for the front desk to get us a login card ($6.00 for 30 minutes) and then neither of the two computers in the “Business Center” were able to connect to the internet. Frustrating but clearly a first-world complaint. We just checked in at the airport.

The hotel is five minutes drive to the airport, a short walk (i.e., five minutes) from the center of Krahlendijk and a short drive to a number of great shore dive spots. There are several restaurants just a few minutes from the resort. We had a wonderful dinner with great service at The Four Seasons. We also had two great lunches at El Mundo in the center of town. I think our biggest surprise as Pasa Bon Pizza on the far end of town which had great and friendly service and some of the best pizza I've had anywhere. I'm glad we found them on our last night there because it would have made the Chibi Chibi dining service experiences unbearable. I'd gladly share more restaurants to dine at but we hit the Island on a Saturday and most things were closed until Thursday due to four consecutive holidays. One of these was Rincon Day and if you are on the island for Rincon day you really must go up to Rincon starting around 6PM for the parades, food, music, and celebration. We're a crew of introverts and we had a great time.

We rented a truck to haul our gear and people which is what most folks seem to do. There’s so many of them I thought the Toyota Hilux pickup was a national vehicle. Traffic in Krahlendijk moves slowly but as a Washington, DC resident it's nothing like what we get at home. Once you’re out of the center of town you can move along at a normal pace. The roads are narrow and some spots are bumpy but really..you're here to relax and if you go too fast you'll miss the marker rock for your dive site. This was the first time we've been able to go out shore-diving whereever and whenever we wanted and the total freedom was fantastic. We did as many dives as we usually do on our trips but I never felt scheduled or rushed. Just grab a tank, put it in the truck, and pick your spot. Speaking of which, the resort's reef is a good one for night dives. Our favorite site of the week is called Tolo on the northern end of the western shore. On top of some of the lushest coral you can find anywhere there was a huge number of fish of every type. We even saw a huge free-swimming moray and while we did not see it ourselves, folks on the shore were watching a manta that was roaming up and down the shoreline.

We had read about the problems with things being stolen from parked vehicles so we never locked the truck, always left a window open so they'd not be tempted to bust a window anyway, and left our tiaras and bearer bonds back in the States. I had no reason to believe that anyone ever checked out our truck, but then again, not sure how I'd know.

If you are fair of skin be careful on Bonaire. The sun is intense. Also, the island is a desert. You might be looking at the beautiful blue Caribbean but it’s dry. When folks make hedge-row fences out of cactus, you are someplace dry. The first couple of days we didn’t pay enough attention and I think we got a little dehydrated. Make sure to keep a bottle of water handy when you’re touring around the island, you’ll be thirsty pretty quickly.

The flamingos were also on holiday so our trip to the flamingo sanctuary turned into a trip to the salty mud flats. We did see one (and only one) flamingo on the south end of the island. We have no idea why he or she was there solo, but I try not to judge. Donkeys on the other hand are all over the place. They seem to be like the deer are here in the states. Nibbling on everyone’s shrubberies and getting in the way on the roads. Unlike the deer, no one seems to hit them with their car on Bonaire.

The place is small but there are grocery stores everywhere. Many of them were closed on one or more of the holidays but we were still able to pick up Gatorade, water, beer, cheese and crackers, the essentials of post-dive/pre-dinner life.

Checkout was very easy. They had put a current tab in our room the night before and we just checked out in the morning.

I saw a lot of posts about mosquitoes on the island and for the first five days I thought they were nuts. Perhaps we hit a dry time but after a shower hit our area on Day six, the skeeters were out in force. Do bring some bug repellent just to be on the safe side. During the day I never noticed them but at dusk they come out to feed, and apparently they are hungry.

Bonaire is someplace I would definitely come back to, however, I think I'd try out one of the other hotels on the island next time.

Room Tip: I think the ground-floor pool-view rooms are great. Friends on the upper level pool view and others...
5  Thank Glon Drack
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I just returned from Divi yesterday. I was there for one week on a dive trip with a large group of 25. We arrived at the Divi on a red eye flight from Houston and made it to the resort at 6:30 a.m. I had read the resort was slow getting rooms to people arriving so early but ours was ready and we were in it shortly after checking in at the desk.

We were in an ocean front room on the FAR south end of the resort (Room 212). The view was amazing. We were 20 feet of the ocean. The room had extremely comfortable beds. The pillows were soft and the covers were plush. The room was a bit small but the Divi Dive Shop gives lockers for dive gear which was nice because we did not have to haul gear across the resort to our room nor did we have to clutter the room with our gear. The rooms were clean but they are weathered. The bathroom has little ventilation besides a small window. The shower pressure was adequate for bathing. Soap, shampoo, etc was all there. Rooms have electronic key cards and a safe that can be programmed with your own code for free. (Our safe stopped working for a day and there are only a few managers that can get into them so we had to wait almost 24 hrs to get into it)! The AC in the room worked great!

The restaurant on the resort serves a breakfast buffet in the morning. It was included in our package so we did not have to pay out of pocket while we were there. The buffet had the same items each day which were eggs made to your liking while you stand in front of the cook and tell her what you would like in an omelet or if you would like them scrambled etc. They also make pancakes fresh for you. The down side is she makes each order pretty much one at a time so there is a wait. On hot plates they have corn beef hash, boiled eggs, sausage, fried potatoes, & bacon. There are danish/muffins, yogurt, fruit and other items also available. Coffee, juice etc was included. Food was good but same thing each day can get old but I had no issues eating my fair share :)

As said before the resort is showings its age. I dove 21 times that week. 12 times with the dive shop off there boat and the rest shore dives. The dive shop is well organized. boats are in good condition. The down side is there is not an easy way to get equipment or tanks to your truck for shore diving. The "Tank Hut" in the main parking lot was always empty. Each day we had to pull trucks around the resort to the dive shop, walk with a dolly to get tanks and haul them to the truck along with our equipment. The walk is not horrible but it is long enough that it sucks with dive equipment and tanks. The process is repeated when you return. There is a great dive site in front of the resort which was fun for last minute "Hey you want to go diving" thoughts. Nitrox is $125 extra for the week.

There are 2 pools on the property which are in good shape. No sandy beach for swimming. A casino I never entered and a beach bar I drank at once. I think if you are looking for a place to relax at and not dive I would avoid the Divi. If you are looking to dive this place is great. This is not a 5 star resort so expecting to arrive and find anything like that will be disappointing. The resort is extremely close and well within walking distance of down town which is nice and has great food and drink establishments.

Room Tip: The rooms around 200s are really far from the dive shop. Rooms near the 700s are much closer. Be p...
1  Thank larpy
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a great place to set up for a dive vacation and a good nights sleep. We were a group of 18 people from the Scuba Network shop in NYC at w 21st street that went here to eat, sleep and dive. We did all of that and more. The onsite dive shop and the resort were well kept and the onsite restauraunt had a good variety of food that we didn't have to travel far to get something good to eat and cold to drink after a long day on the water diving. I wasn't a big fan of the casino, but to be fair I've only really gone into casinos in places like Vegas and Atlantic City so I really don't have much small island resort casino experience to rate it against. We went during Carnival time and that was a fun experience. It was good to see what seemed like the whole island participating in the celebration. I would certainly go back here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here for nine nights on our first visit to Bonaire. A lot of good, even great, things about the Divi but also some misses.

Location couldn't be better. The Divi is just a few minutes away from the airport but we noticed absolutely no noise pollution. Within a ten minute walk you can hit all the good restaurants in Kralendijk, and there are quite a few, we were glad to discover. We had booked a waterfront room. When we arrived, we got one on the first floor, which smelled musty. The next day the front desk called and offered to move us to a different room, on the second floor, because they noticed that the A/C was leaking. The new room was in much better order and quite nice, including a balcony with a great view. The waters here are so clear we could see the parrot fish and trumpet fish from the balcony.

If you're planning to spend your day on the beach, tough luck. Only rocks and a concrete dock set up for sunbathing. But if you're the beach type, what are you doing on Bonaire in the first place?!? Not that I care much for it, but the Divi has two pools, both small but in good condition. Another advantage of location: The Woodwind snorkel trip (A-One, don't miss it!) takes off right from the hotel. Can't comment on the casino, I'm not the gambling type, but it looked tiny, which in my book was good because it didn't attract the masses and associated noise.

All in all, the hotel feels in need of a makeover. Not that it's decrepit - by no means - but too many places where there's mildew, rust, paint chipped off, etc. It should be noted that the hotel was firmly in Dutch hands when we visited (early April), and the Dutch seem to love their smokes, which I found particularly appalling in the restaurants, when you're trying to enjoy the meal and the couple at the next table suddenly lights up. Service was hit or miss. One day they didn't change the towels. They regularly replenished the coffee but never gave us new coffee cups (we ended up with loaner cups from the bar).

Wifi had to be paid for, and the quality was all over the place. Not bad in public places, awful inside the room. One day, the network was down for most of the day. In this day and age, charging for wifi just feels wrong.

There are a couple of restaurants on premise. One serves breakfast buffet and an occasional dinner buffet. The breakfast is pretty much standard fare, and they make omelets and pancakes to order. We only had the dinner buffet once (all you can eat tacos and fajitas) which was okay but no thrills. The other restaurant offers standard lunch and dinner menus. The grilled fish sandwich was great! We tried a few other menu items, nothing really exciting, but then again, just a couple of minutes walk down the waterfront is a wide selection of really good lunch and dining spots. Recommendation: the hotel’s Flamingo Bar offers 2-for-1 happy hour drinks between 6 and 7.

All in all, I wouldn't talk anyone out from coming to the Divi, and we really, really liked its great location but when we come back to Bonaire we'll probably try one of the other lodging options.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business