“What a Trip”

Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Kralendijk
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Melissa Treue Food and Beverage Manager Serge De Groote Dive manager Sara Matera Hotel manger
Bonnie Hanley Regional; Sales manager Leanna Henderson Group Sales Coordinator

Once again the Donkeys road into Divi’s Bonaire Resort. This year’s trip really shined a light on the staff in the whole corporation. Let me start by saying how much fun it is to plan these little outings with Bonnie Hanley. She has gone above and beyond to help our wayward donkeys more than once. Taking care of a last minute donkey add on was Leanna Henderson, Sometimes the donkey stray and she brought one back into the fold. It was almost a miracle! Arriving at the property we were greeted with some nice new upgrades. All of our doors had touch pass locks. This works very well when you have your bathing suit on. The other major upgrade was the internet. Divi has completed a renovation of its internet system. The speed was 4 time faster than last year. In fact we are going to do live broadcast from down there next year. The hotel manager Sara Matera and her staff need a big thank you for these wonderful additions. Now we get to the fun part. Donkeys dive and Divi lets us dive. Our good friend Serge De Groote once again provided us with everything we needed to make memories come true. I liked the boat we had last year a little better but I would not swap the people for the world. Serge manages a wonderful group of diving professional. Our Dive Master, Captain, friend and the reason we tried Divi Max Sint Jago keep us laughing and diving the whole week. We had 2 assistance on the boat Orlando and George. They were great as well. I must mention one other person who I did not even meet. We like to have our first dinner at Divi. I ask Serge to pass on my request for a dinner table to seat 18. Serge forward our request to Melissa Treue whom emailed me and said it was taken care of. When we arrived she had us set up under the stars with a private table and server. This was wonderful and just another reason the donkeys ride at Divi. If you want to do Bonaire right stay with these people. Bon Bini Na Bonaire!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We've stayed at the Divi 3 times and are going back for our 4th. We love to snorkel and, after having been to several Caribbean islands and Mexico (Antigua, Dominican Republic x3, St. Martin, Turks & Caicos, Cozumel, Tulum), Bonaire is the only place we thought about buying a timeshare, which we did, because of the shore snorkeling.

Divi is a convenient walk to town, has two pools and you can just walk right into the water and snorkel away! And, see lots of fish!

We have a studio timeshare with a small kitchen, two queen beds, couch and screened in porch. It's perfect for our needs. We also love the fact that there is a casino on site. Although we're not big gamblers, we love going there after walking back from dinner in town. Because it is so laid back, there isn't a lot of pressure. If you're an avid gambler, I'm not sure how much you'd enjoy the casino, but if you like to gamble a bit or if you like roulette, blackjack or slots ( I don't think, but I'm not sure, there is a craps table), you'll probably enjoy at least a visit to the casino.

The restaurant, the Chibi-Chibi is great for lunch...very convenient and the food is good. They also have a breakfast buffet, which is also good, but because we have a kitchen, we only take advantage of the buffet once or twice during our week's stay.

This is not a new property and the rooms are not 4 or 5 star. However, they are decent, comfortable and convenient and all rooms are a short walk from one of the two pools or from the water.

I understand that the Dive shop and dive pros are some of the best on the island, but since we don't drive, I wouldn't know. Check out TA for reviews on the dive shop at the Divi.

The lobby also has wifi access which is nice.

We are very happy with our timeshare purchase at the Divi.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brebeans
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I spent the last week of Sept-2012 at the Divi Flamingo resort in Bonaire. We have stayed there before many years ago at the same time that the famous Actor Peter O'toole was there. And during other stays that were part of a direct flight with a charter we ate at their restaurant. We had all our meals at the Divi this time. We did not use the fully appointed kitchen that was in our unit and we were probably upgraded to this due to being on the shoulder season. The Divi menus are great and a bargain as well. They have a small beach and a walk on stone jetty that attracts sea life. We saw just about 70% of the species that one usually sees while snorkeling on Bonaire. We were lucky and got a good and cheap flight with Delta via Atlanta. (Always try to avoid Miami) and the room rates were low as well. Car rental is great from "Island rentals" which is the closest to the airport (just across the street)

Room Tip: I think all rooms are ok. This time we were at the North end. The balcony at the rear looked onto pr...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aceinspector
Reviewed November 5, 2012

What better place to spend two weeks than the Divi Flamingo Beach Resort in Bonaire! It's a nice, safe, friendly resort in walking distance to restaurants and town. The resort's restaurants and bars are located at the water's edge where the sunsets are watched and the fish are fed.
September is a great time to visit Bonaire. It's quiet, hot and out of the hurricane belt. There are many actives to do while on Bonaire especially diving.
Diving is great at Dive Bonaire! Serge, the dive shop's manager, is great! He is organized, helpful, knowledgable and quickly responds to divers's needs. With a fleet of five boats, there is enough room for divers and dive groups. Dive Bonaire is located near many of the dive sites. It's a quick boat ride to Klein Bonaire which has nice dive sites which are all boat dives.
Diving is excellent in Bonaire. Diving with the dive masters at Divi is great! They will help find what one is looking for especially macro subjects such as slender filefish, baby trumpetfish, trunkfish, spotted drum and scorpionfish. If you can not find a seahorse or a frogfish by yourself, dive with the Divi dive masters and you will see many seahorses and frogfish! it's great to see several octopus out during the day.
The house reef, Calabas Reef, is a nice dive especially at night where large tarpons, turtles, lobsters, eels and octopus can be found. The water is warm, calm and clear this time of year. It's
wonderful to dive 24 hours a day in Bonaire!
I must say though, two weeks is not enough time to dive and live at the Divi!!

Room Tip: For divers, the time share rooms are great. Meals can be prepared in the room & the rooms are cl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smermaid
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I loved every minute. From my made to order omelette to my night cap. The boat dives were incredible. Every day I was asked where I would like to dive and what I would like to see. The best part of diving Bonaire is what happens on the boat on your way to a dive was often just as incredible as the dive! I was fortunate to encounter hundreds of dolphins swimming with my boat. I also encountered 6 while diving the Hilma Hooker. Turtles and Rays were also usual on most dives. I saw the largest sea horse thanks to ORLANDO and two very large frog fish thanks to MAX. All of this was made possible thanks to SERGE, who is the manager of the dive shop and seemingly effortlessly organized it all.

I advise all who wish to stay and dive at DiviFlamingo, Bonaire to pack some cat treats for the two orange cats that allow Serge to feed and care for them.

Cissy Bourzikos
Key West, FL

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank cissygirlkw
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is my third visit to the resort over the last 10 years. I have to say that I have had a mixed bag of results over the years. In order to make the best of my current stay, I contacted the reservations department two weeks prior to my visit. I explained to them my expectations and was more than pleasently surprised when I checked in. I got room 205, Second floor Ocean front room. Spotlessly clean, Excellent air, Clean fridge, comfy bed. My meals so far have been good and all of the staff has been friendly ! ( Hint for you... You go first ! Say hello... Once they know which language to engage you with they will greet you with a smile !!! )
I've seen both good and bad reviews on this resort... It has been around for many years, is a low rise sprawling resort, and has a charm that grows on you. The sunsets are magnificent, the stars are bright and beautful, and the water warm and clear.
So... Moral of the story... Make your expectations known up front !! That way if they can't accomodate you... You can go else where before you arrive saving you furstration and heart ache.

Room Tip: Ocean Front have great views, But all of the rooms have charm.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I'm a dive center owner from Columbus Ohio. We just recently brought a group of 46 customers to the Divi, Bonaire and had a memorable time. The staff are knowledgeable and prepared, particularly as it relates to Scuba Diving. The resort is very clean and well kept. Keeping 46 people happy for 7 days is quite the challenge but I can honestly say, everyone had an amazing time. Location is clutch, being so close to town. We had an inclusive package that served breakfast daily. I was expecting more of a continental style breakfast. It was actually more along the lines of gourmet with an omelet station, fresh fruit and juices, bacon, eggs, pancakes made to order and a variety of cheeses. Great way to start a dive day with the group. Wish they offered a 3 meal inclusive at a reasonable price but you cant have everything. the restaurants in town were average to above average though the service is slow on the island. The restaurant at the resort was excellent and reasonably priced. Dive staff was above average, though some newer paired with experienced divemasters. House reef is not too bad though it is worth renting a vehicle to explore sites along the island. Serge is great and organized our group well. Definitely a thumbs up! We'll be back in 2013.
-Andy (Columbus Scuba Inc.)

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are worth the few extra bucks. 100 block lower Water rushes right up to your...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends