“Bonaire's iconic wreck dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilma Hooker

Ranked #17 of 100 things to do in Bonaire
Rye Brook, NY
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Bonaire's iconic wreck dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

What else is there to say? It's a wreck and it's a shore dive. Loads of fun and always some big tarpon lurking in the shadows. A must do dive when in Bonaire.

Visited December 2013

Minnesota City, Minnesota
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Not my favorite dive in Bonaire”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I would not put this at the top of the list. It was more silty so maybe the visability was bad that day. I think about 50 ft. The size was impressive.

I would recommend Salt Pier, Angel city, Karpata, and others before this dive. Interesting dive. We are not advanced divers so we did not go to the Bow at 90ft. We did not use a guide. I recommend getting the Bonaire shore diving made easy book. It is helpful in choosing dive locations.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank DontwaitMn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Do on a boat trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

As wrecks go, this one is well preserved, and moderately interesting. The top of the wreck (which is starboard side) is in about 60', bottom (port side) around 100-110'. It's been down there for a while, so there is a lot of life around, but it's not completely encrusted, so it's not quite as photogenic as some other reefs. It's a nice change from the usual 30-60 foot reef dives in Bonaire, but far enough out from shore that it's worth it to do as a boat dive from a resort rather than swim out. Though you can swim out (do it on the surface, to save air) if you want; it just takes a while.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank JimInNWDC
Albany, New York
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A must do dive - once”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I dove the Hooker on my 3rd dive this trip to Bonaire. I admit, I'm not a wreck person so take that into account. The bottom of teh Hooker faces the reef and the decks face outward. This causes the entire deck area to be in deep shadow. I took along my night diving light but it made no difference. I wasn't impressed with the number of fish (limited), the coral/sponge (very limited) nor the ship itself. It seemed kind of puny with nothing much to see. Perhaps a wreck diver would see things differently. I'm glad I made the dive, more to be able to say I did than for the dive itself. I think Cliff, Tolo, and Invisibles, for example, are far superior Bonare sites. Still the Hilma Hooker is one of those "must do" dives if you are on Bonaire.

Visited November 2013
fairfax, VA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice wreck”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was a nice wreck to visit and a good change of pace from the other dive sites. Be careful on entry as there is a drop off about 5 feet into the water. We saw a diver fall there and get pretty banged up. As always step carefully and help your buddies in and out of the water.

We saw several large tarpon who have made the Hilma Hooker their home which was fun. Take your time and bring a light. Also take time to look at the reef on the way there and back as it is quite nice as well.

Visited October 2013