“great house for great value - a wonderful stay at Cherry Tree”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christ Church Parish
Cherry Tree Apartments
Reviewed July 13, 2008

My friend and I spent two weeks in Cherry Tree in June.
The studios were very nice and clean. There was maid-service
daily from monday to friday and the linen was changed two
times each week. The manager was very friendly and helpful.
The garden was beautiful with barbeque-place and picnic-tables.
Cherry Tree is located in an excellent area, only a few minutes
to nice beach, restaurants and evening-entertainment.
We have been in Barbados for many times and we know what
we are talking about : It is difficult to find such a fair, clean and
reasonable place to stay. A great house for great value.
We will be back next year !!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank susan9874

Reviewed June 2, 2008

Wish I'd found this website sooner and read the earlier reviews.

My wife and I spent a week there in April and were very unhappy with several aspects.

The rooms were dirty and much of the furniture was in poor condition. The room was not cleaned the whole week we were there and the linen was not changed).

There were bars on the windows - although I understand why having read the earlier reviews!! Although we had no problems security wise, the walk from the apartments to the beach/bars/restaurantrs was not nice and very secluded in places.

The woman who took payments was abrupt and generally unhelpful - and we never saw her again all week.

I guess you get what you pay for. These apartments were super cheap - and of super poor quality. This website has many other places of a similar price with much better reviews.

We would never stay at this place again and advise others to go elsewere.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed May 17, 2008

The only thing we wish we had when we were there was air conditioning. Very close to (5 minute walk) to St. Lawrence gap. Being two women travelling on our own it was the perfect location, we weren't in the room much but it had everything we needed. Two beds, fridge, stove, bathroom with shower no bath, small balcony, and a safe. We stayed for 10 days. Reading the latest reviews it sounds like it has gone downhill since then? There was a housekeeper who would come in 3 days a week and change the sheets, towels, garbages etc. Things were clean and we thouroughly enjoyed our stay. If I ever go back that time of year again I will find a place with air condioning! We had no problem with Nicole, we payed 3 nights deposit via money order months before and 4 days later she came by for the rest of it since we didn't hit a bank machine when we landed....because my darn luggage never arrived from aruba, but thats another story. We never had to pay a deposit for the key. Perhaps she had a bad experience with some guests in the last year that has changed things. From our room we saw lots of lizards, parrots, and monkeys. Oh beware of the frogs when the sun goes down, they are everywhere in the yard.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank smirtle
Reviewed May 4, 2008

We have just returned from Barbados and stayed at cherry tree apartments for the 2nd time. We were a group of 8 adults and 1 child and had 4 units. The apartments are small and simple and most important, clean. Everyone in our group thought the suites are fine and would definatly return there again. We particularily enjoyed the beautiful garden with a bbq area and large picnic tables. If you are looking for safe, clean accomodations at a reasonable price stay here you won't be dissapointed. cherry tree is good value in a great location.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Actually I did not stay in this place. They had given me the quote and I thought it was a good rate. Then they said that to make the booking I need to pay a deposit of 66% - which I thought was really high. Other places either seek a 10% deposit or 3 nights deposit which I thought was fine.

I wrote to them stating that I was concerned about the high deposit, and received a reply which I thought was not very polite. (I felt like I was some sort of trouble-maker for telling them about my concern)

I was worried that if I make this payment - and then, go to Barbados (which will be my first trip to Carribean) - what would I do if nothing has been booked at the other end. So I decided to cancel my plans of staying at this place.

I guess its not a proper "review" in the sense that I have never stayed here. But I thought it is important to stay at a place where you are made to feel welcome.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank SSub
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We booked our accommodation at the German owned and run Cherry Tree Apartments in Barbados via ShoestringBarbados.com in July 2007. We had planned to arrive on 8th January 2008 depart on 22nd January 2008. Booking was smooth and payment was made well in advance.

On arrival on 8th January 2008, the manager of the property (Nicole) was very rude and told us (and our friends who were also staying at the property) that neither of us had paid the full amount and we both owed for one week of our stay. Even when produced with both the booking confirmation and original credit card receipt, she still attempted to explain how the paperwork showed we had only paid for one week. I am sure if our party had not been so “foreceful” then this issue may have continued. There was a 100USD key deposit payable on arrival.

The complex was decently located about 10-15 minutes walk away from the main street. The local area was very quiet and dark. The ground were surrounded by a wall topped with barbed wire. To enter the property there was a locked gate into the grounds, a locked door into the building and a locked door into the room. There was also a locked cage around tiny the patio which gave direct access to the room. It really made us wonder how safe the area around the complex was!

The rooms themselves were tiny. Two single beds, wardrobe, table, tiny kitchenette and bathroom. The whole placed looked like it had not been cleaned properly for months and was certainly hardly cleaned at all the whole time we were there. The bed sheets and towels were never changed. Much of the equipment was old and broken, including some of the lights and the two plastic chairs on the patio. The fridge barely worked. The rooms were so close together and rooms so thin that you could hear people breathing in the next room.

Unfortunately our concerns about safety were proved correct when some of our party were attacked and robbed by two men with a machete on the road near the apartments. Amongst other things, our keys to the complex were stolen. Once back at Cherry Tree we phoned the Police and Nicole. Nicole arrived quite quickly to inform us that we would not be getting our key deposit back and that she doubted any locks would get changed for days. Obviously we expressed our dismay at this as several of our party were quite upset and scared by the events that had happened. Nicole agreed to come back the next morning.

After a horrible, unnerving and sleepless night Nicole returned with a locksmith. She decided that it was only necessary to change the locks to the rooms themselves. Therefore the attackers had keys to the gate to the complex, the door to the building, the locks on the exterior cages into our room and the safety deposit boxes. She rudely refused to replace any others.

As I am sure people will appreciate, knowing that the men who had just attacked you with a machete now had complete and easy access to your room did not make us feel safe and so we left Cherry Tree.

We wrote a polite email to the owners of the accommodation expressing our unhappiness with how Nicole had treated us and have never even received a response. We know they received the email as Nicole told us so when she refused to give us a receipt for the 100USD key deposit.

In summary, AVOID. Dirty and dangerous accommodation ran and managed by people with no concern for even the safety of their guests – let alone the happiness and comfort!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank vincentobrien
Reviewed November 8, 2007

In 17 visits to Barbados, I always stayed at White Sands or Four Aces. Both these properties are no longer available, so I booked myself into Cherry Tree Apartments for 3 weeks. Rate was $33 per night, all paid up front when I got there together with a $100 deposit for keys. I realise you get what you pay for, but the accommodation was very basic - no air conditioning, the fridge had 2 inches of ice in the freezer comparment (I complained about it on Day 2, after 12 days nothing had been done), was unable to keep any drinks cold, 2 bedside lamps didn't work, 2 broken chairs on patio area. No bulb in the hall - I fell up the step one night, it was so dark, although when I mentioned it, it was replaced. Very dark outside property, especially late at night when restaurant over the road was closed. Very strict - no guests, no smoking, no phone calls between 9 pm and 9 am, and barbed wire on the gate. I moved out after 2 weeks, couldn't stand it any longer. Did get key deposit back.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo