“Tired”

Blue Orchids Beach Hotel
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times before and it is looking a bit tired
The rooms need a re- furb
Reggie is still the same happy helpfull guy and a great asset to the place.
The restaurant was closed and I got different answers from everyone when I asked why? A notice on the door just said due to unforeseen a circumstances
Veryy anoying when you arrive as all you need is a cold drink and a light bite, but reception said to go to the supermarket, (which is only 5 mins away) but its the last think you want to do after a long flight!
W went up to champers which is two minutes walk and outstanding!
There is a bar opposite (berts) which is great!
The location on the beach is fantastic though and hopefully by the time I book my next Barbados holiday the room will have had a makeover!
I have marked service as low due to the restaurant not to the staff who are fantastic

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My friend & I have just returned from a 2 week stay at Blue Orchids Hotel (Aug 27th - Sept 10th) & we loved it!
We had booked through Virgin Holidays so wasn't sure which hotel, here or Coral Mist, adjoining, we would be staying it. However, we were more that happy to find we had been allocated Blue Orchids. I’d emailed the hotels beforehand & they were able to let me know which hotel we would be in & they offered to make any arrangements for excursions, etc. which I felt was a really nice touch.

On arrival we were shown to a third floor, one bedroomed apartment room with a view over the ocean & the pool & gardens - it was perfect! Our luggage followed later & the security man brought our heavy bags up to the room for us.
The apartment & hotel suited our requirements entirely - there was nothing more we would have asked for. The apartment was kept spotlessly clean with fresh towels, bed linen & tea towel daily. Air conditioning in the bedroom was very effective, there was plenty of cupboard space - just bring some extra clothes hangers (fortunately my friend had!)
The kitchen was a full size kitchen with a good sized fridge & freezer with ice trays. We only used it for breakfast & making drinks & although there was a small dining table & couch & chair, we spent any awake time at the apartment, on the balcony - accompanied by the sound of birds during the day, tree frogs at night & the sea all the time - beautiful.

We knew that we only were looking for a base & not anything further from the hotel, so didn't try the bar or restaurant. For us it was in an ideal location for supermarkets, beaches, bars & restaurants. There is a Trimart five mins walk away - turn right out of the hotel & by the traffic lights, SuperCentre is left at the traffic lights about another 3-4 mins walk. We stocked up on supplies & then caught a free shuttle bus outside which brought us back to the hotel - easy. The Shell garage, also at the traffic lights, has an ATM & you are also able to top up local mobile phones there (I saved a fortune, calling back to the UK using a LIME pay as you go phone)

We loved Rockley / Accra beach which is just a couple of minutes from the hotel (turn left) & especially Side Shore beach bar (at the hotel end of the beach) where, when paying for the sunbeds & brolly, vouchers where given for the full amount which could be exchanged for food & drink at the bar. There was a quiz night there on a Tuesday which we stopped & observed (they were too clever for us to join in!!) and had a meal there which was scummy, after happy hour cocktails & a lazy day on the beach! However the bar closed towards the end of our stay for vacation as it was very quiet. Chicken George at the other end of the beach was also a favorite for the ‘fully loaded’ rum punch (his words!) & chicken & chips & veggie burger.

We also made use of local transport, catching ZR buses to other beaches & the Gap. We were well looked after on them, telling the conductor where we wanted to go & they pointed out when it was our stop & were to go if we needed to walk further. We went to Miami beach, Dover Beach, Crystal Waters & the Boatyard & loved them all!
Restaurants & bars near by we made use of, included Berts - great for pasta & pizza, Mojo’s - good for wraps, pasta, loved the french fries, and for cocktails & nightcaps. As well as slightly further afield, at the Gap, we frequented Harlequin, Pieces, McBrides, Hal’s bar on a Tuesday for karaoke and Cafe Sol for cocktails at happy hour either early 5-7 or later 10pm onwards!!

We were really fortunate with the weather & although hot & humid had little cloud or rain, we found there was plenty to do & see, places to go & great beaches and our two weeks flew by in a flash!!

I’d done a lot of research before booking this hotel & was delighted with it for value for money, location & what it provided us & I’ve already booked to return next March with my hubby!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Nicola R
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My stay at the Blue Orchids Reach Hotel was pleasant and hassle free. Staff were welcoming and responsive. Hotel was quite clean, the room also very fresh and clean. I stayed on the 3rd floor and there was a working elevator (a little bit 'jumpy' when it stopped, but it worked). Service at the restaurant was good, and taxi service was available without a problem. I spent one night only and though it is on a main street, I rested well. Would recommend this hotel to other visitors.

Room Tip: No major recommendation; mine was on the 3rd floor and I was happy :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cellyandy
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Travelled to Barbados April/May 2012 with my parents and extended family.
We stayed at the Blue Orchids in Christ Church.
Wasn't quite sure what to expect this time around, as it's been 13 years since travelling to Barbados, but had a great time!!
Reggie was amazing. Never let us down, and always had a bright smile and a giggle to share.
The hotel was very quiet, with only a few guests, so I think we were the rowdy bunch ;)
The rooms were always clean and taken care of on a daily basis.
The location is great! Close walk to the grocery store, restaurants, bus stops, 15 minutes to the Gap, unless you've been into the rum, then it can take a bit longer ;)

The ONLY complaint I would have is the restaurant in the hotel. Which I was warned about prior to going there from another guest. However, it's not a deal breaker.
They are just short on what they have on the menu, but there are ALOT of options outside of the hotels if the restaurant is closed.
Our family chose to walk to the restaurants down the street.

Liverpool the security guard was always out and about walking around the grounds; hard working guy and again very friendly.

Planning a trip and bringing some friends for 2013. I also know my parents and uncle and aunt will be returning in 2013 as well.

You can't beat the location, the staff, or the island.

Room Tip: Choose the third or fourth floor for the Ocean views
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank allywhoop
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My wife and I and two daughters stayed at this hotel in two studio apartments from 29th July to 12th August 2012.
it is just along from St Lawrence gap and sits on the best coastline on the island in my view.
This was our 3rd trip to the island so we are beginning to get to know it well
the rooms were just as described with a small kitchen and cooker which is ideal as we eat out a lot in the evening but tend to breakfast in the room. the cooker was a little dated but did the job.
all of the on site amenities are as described on their website and you can choose to lie around the pool or on the beach
the restaurant on site was a disaster and even after speaking to the restaurant manager and then the hotel manager no improvement was made. the problem is entirely down to the manager of the restaurant who appears to have a complete disconnect from the hotel. so if you are looking for a hotel with an on site restaurant this is not for you
however that are 5-10 good restaurants within 5 minutes walk of the hotel including champers which is one of the top 10 restaurants on the island which is 2 minutes walk from the front door.
cleaners and staff are all helpful especially Reggie

The water sports guy spent too much time chasing girls and not enough time looking after guests but that did not spoil time on the beach and jet skis etc can be gotten via Reggie.

I would use them again but would check if the restaurant was still being managed by the same guy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the hotel 28th July -7th August during our stay for Cropover.
Got to start by saying the staff our really nice. Julia had held our tickets for us for events and was very friendly. Also Kay the cleaner was really lovely . I would say if you make the effort it goes a million miles to making your holiday more special.
Rooms (ours a one bed apartment) are very clean and adequately decorated and ours had a small kitchenette. Storage space in bedroom a little tight but near enough to get by. One thing really needed in here would be some bedside tables. Also air con is right over the bed so you may wake up in the night chilly. No fan so air con is the only option. Also if like us you are sharing with a third person they will be sleeping on a bed in the lounge so bear in mind there is no air con or fan in here. This is the main downpoint I think as it was quite uncomfortable given heat was coming from the fridge freezer. If the hotel could provide a fan this would be a real plus point and we would consider sharing again here.
Bathroom adequate and clean and shower very good.
View to sea lovely and small pool large enough for small number and the beds were never all in use by the pool which had a nice outlook. Walk across the way and you have a lovely little beach too to lie on with beds provided.
I think the hotel is in a great location and is convienant for Gap 25 minute walk. Berts, Champers and Carib beach bar all close by and a couple of supermarkets to stock up for the fridge with essentials.

If you want an authentic night out go to Monsta Bar and Grill /De-Monsta-Grill- on a Wednesday evening . It is a mere five minutes in a cab from the hotel. A real Bajan lime (Bajan word for chilling) with local Soca music played by a local DJ great local food and the best drinks. It is like a bar in a small cul de sac with lots of seating outside. Elvis your host is a fantastic guy and will make you like us feel very welcome.
Everyone was so friendly and were pleased to see we had made the effort to come along
Make sure to try the saltfish balls!!!

So all in all a good value (room only) hotel in a nice location. If you want luxury and loads of facilities this is not for you. If you want clean adequate facilities , friendly enviroment, a local Bajan feel and a feel of having a place to share with a few others than this could be the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Allan P
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed at Blue Orchids because we needed a place near the airport as Barbados was only a stopping off point to go on to the Grenadines. This area of Barbados is not my favorite. I prefer to stay up on the west coast closer to Holetown. That said the hotel was fairly nice. The room came equipped with a kitchenette. It was a little on the small size and I didn't like that they air conditioning was tied to the room key, but I understand that electricity is quite expensive on the island and this is one way to combat that issue. The restaurant on the premises was extremely poor in food and service, but Champers is right up the road and it is excellent. My only other grievance is that a portion of the rooms are accessed only by several flights of stairs which when you're dealing with luggage is a pain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bustling street out front and try to get one that an elevator, albeit t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple