“Gone downhill badly”

Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Ossett, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill badly”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed here last year the night before a cruise and did the same against this year.

Check in took forever - there were three other parties in front of us and two receptionists. Very slow!!

The room was looking tired and could do with re-furbishing.

We ate out at night at Tapas restaurant along the boardwalk, so walked there and back along the beach. When we returned at about 8.30, the gat to the beach was locked up. I jumped over the wall, but did not want the rest of the family to do the same. So I went to reception and asked if they could unlock the gate. Their reaction was as if the couldn't care less and was not going to do anything about it until I insisted.

Overall the service was very poor - also at the bars.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jonlfc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed here in March of 2013, what an absolutely great stay!
When I was checking in, I mentioned that it was my b'day & inquired whether or not there were any upgrades...with a smile, I was offered a deluxe ocean view suite (Rm 351). One of the ceiling lights was burnt out, I called & within 5-10imns it was taken care of.
Beautiful room with great views of the pools & beach.
I wanted to do some tours & the guy (can't remember his name) :( was excellent in assisting me.
I found all of the staff to be very friendly & willing to assist.
Also loved the Chakra Spa, had just a manicure done, but felt quite pampered.
On my birthday, after a long day touring, I was settling in & got a phone call, enquiring if I was going to be awake a bit longer. A few mins later, a knock on my door. I was pleasantly surprised!! A trolley with flowers, sparking wine & cake, along with a nice "Happy Birthday" greeted me. The staff made me feel very special & I could tell it was genuine.
I enjoyed their breakfast, which was a nice variety each morning.
I also ate at the Polynesian Restaurant, the food was very tasty, quite flavourful.
I had a night flight, so checked out, but had the use of one of the courtesy rooms for the rest of the day, until it was time for me to leave for the airport.
What I liked best, EVERYTHING!!!!!
Like I said, I will stay here again in a heart beat!!
Even though this is a pretty late review, I would still like to say thank you so much to the staff for an excellent birthday stay!!!!
Best Wishes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank trinighal
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was an unscheduled stop for me in Accra Beach hotel and the fourth visit here in the last 12 years. I am glad to see the hotel has kept to its high standards, it has a beautiful location complemented by courteous and helpful staff. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to everyone who journeys to Barbados. Cant wait to return.

Room Tip: Excellent sunrises from the north side ocean facing top floor suites, rooms are terrific too.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Arrived here following a week's cruise round the islands. 50 minutes from disembarking to being checked in and in our room. Large clean and airey room great ocean views.Air conditioning very effective and coffee supplied in room is some of the best we have ever had. Staff were friendly and very helpfull with advice and suggestions. We made contact with Kevin (originally from Slough UK) who provided reliable service and good information on every trip we made with him and was very reasonable priced. In reality it was cheaper to do some of the trips independently with Kevin than through the Holiday Rep. Kevin's number Is 231-4325 and I put this in with his permission. Hotel has plenty of sunbeds and a beautiful beach. We will be returning here and will definitely be using this hotel again. It is not 5 star but very goog value for money.

Room Tip: Ocean view room's are very good and also quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paul B
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed at the Accra for a week and couldnt be happier. The location is amazing. The beach is def one of the best ones on the island. Also there is a boardwalk that starts to the right of the hotel with a bunch of dining options. Across the street from the hotel is a strip of stores with a convenience store, atm, pizza, bathing suit store, ice cream shop and several other little stores. I would Highly recommend getting an oceanview room. The city view is not that nice but the ocean view is breath taking. A few people posted pictures of a burnt building as their view from their room. But if you get Oceanview there is no chance you will see this at all during your stay. This building is next door and is not that big. So it is not as much of as eye sore as these pictures make it seem. The staff were very nice and helpful. Renting a car was very easy, although be careful when renting a car. Driving on the island can be a bit stressful with the narrow streets.

The only reason I didnt give this hotel a 5 was because the walls are very thin. We could hear the tv in the next room. But we were not in the room that much watching tv so it didnt bother us too much. Also the bed mattress is a bit hard.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here get an oceanview room. The street view is not that nice and I can imag...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel was great, the rooms were clean and of an excellent standard. The restaurants were good value offering a varied selection of meals .I loved the Wytukai Polynesian restaurant, shame it was closed for 2 days, I would have liked to have eaten there again but we only stayed 4 days. The hotel breakfast was plentiful and offered a wide choice. The staff were wonderful, they were very helpful, polite and dedicated in offering an excellent customer service. The staff at reception recommended a fine food restaurant called Champers for my 50th birthday meal which turned out to be brilliant. The Virgin rep was also fantastic.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The hotel has Large, spacious and clean rooms. Friendly and very helpful staff .... We enjoyed the turquoise coloured water and the fine white sand. Great location.
Great hotel for a relaxing break, we recommend anyone to come and enjoy this fabulous hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
#23 of 50 in Christ Church Parish
Yellow Bird Hotel
Yellow Bird Hotel
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Accra Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!