“Restaurant a big disappointment”

Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and I invited a guest to meet us at the Accra Beach Restaurant yesterday for lunch. The atmosphere is ok. What shame there is no outdoor dining. It appeared that our waiter had no training and was always confused about our order. It took several tries to get things right. Our guest ordered a burger which was a very thin paddy. My lightly dressed Caesar Salad was swimming in dressing and my husband's order of ribs was not big enough, meatless and over priced. Service for both bar and food was painfully slow. The bill was incorrect and the waiter took more then 20 minutes to fix it. The menu was a disappointment as well. I can only imagine that most guests at the hotel would not eat there more then once.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deblee A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,552)

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed here for 9 days in Feb 2014.
The location is great,rooms clean,beds comfy.Locaton is spot on.Right on the beach,the pool is large and very safe.The staff we're fantastic & very helpful.
Itys also right on the main road,so location wise its easy to get anywhere.
St Lawrence gap is a 20 min walk,local restaurants aall within walking distance.Supermarket oppisite.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Whitty85
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed 19 Jan until 26 Jan for the third time at Accra Beach following a 7 night cruise. We usually choose a sea/pool view room but this time we chose a street view room which in the event overlooked the car park. Sounds mad but we have worked out that we spend virtually no time at all in our hotel rooms other than sleeping and changing clothes. The position did not prevent us getting a good sleep throughout our stay, the road noise, such as it was, not a problem. The room was up to the usual Accra standard and was beautifully cleaned each day and we always had ample hot water. Air-conditioning worked well and there is also a ceiling fan. The safe was situated inside the wardrobe at a height allowing use without getting on hands and knees, unlike many other hotels. This may only be a small point but as one gets older it does make a difference.

The beach is superb and the staff looking after the beds, brollies and towels really do go out of their way to look after you. Free towels. There is a lovely pool roughly 4’9” deep OK for swimming, with an adjoining shallower area suitable for children.

Many of the staff in all areas have been there for some time and have not lost their enthusiasm for looking after their guests; they really do want you to come back.

There was a good selection of both hot and cold dishes in the restaurant for breakfast. Sometimes a little busy in there if there happens to be a conference in the hotel but rarely had to wait long, if at all, for a table.

We always take the half board option and should we require lunch there is a selection at the hotel and at various places outside including Just Grilling and a Chinese which did a good value businessman’s lunch.

For dinner The Deck restaurant is well established now but make sure you do book as it is a place much in demand. A good selection and we didn’t think it was particularly expensive. The Wytuki Polynesian restaurant is still serving tasty and interesting food, we again recommend booking if you want to eat at a particular time. Many guests prefer to keep their options open and take the B&B option which allows them to explore the many excellent eating places nearby.

One evening there is a barbeque with entertainment, again make sure you book even if you are half board it was very popular and consequently most, if not all tables, were taken. Then of course there is the weekly Manager’s cocktail reception with drinks and snacks, nice to meet some of the backroom staff as well. (Beware the rum punch!)

Unfortunately I had an accident three days before leaving so wheelchair bound I can confirm that the hotel is wheelchair friendly (other than going on the beach of course). The staff were most helpful in the restaurants finding a suitable table for us on each visit.

All in all the only downside remains the derelict building on one side of the hotel. Not the fault of the Accra owners but not the most pleasant sight if you are in a room that overlooks it. Ask for a room away from that side when you book.

All in all the Accra continues to deliver what it says in the literature.

We had booked a garden tour with Glory tours, the driver was punctual and informative and we would recommend them. I broke my leg whilst in Andromeda Gardens and the Glory driver could not have been more helpful. She also notified the owner, Sarah Taylor, about my accident and Sarah met us at the hospital and did all she could to smooth out the procedures for us there. They both went above and beyond their duties, and Sarah stayed with us until the leg was put in plaster then took us back to our hotel where she had arranged for a wheelchair to meet us. Thanks also to the ambulance staff, the two Barbados Defence Force personnel and the Policeman without whose sterling efforts I would still be stuck in the mud in the middle of Andromeda Gardens!

Room Tip: Sea view/pool view rooms quiet and have good view. Roadside bit noisy but acceptable if you want to...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hazelnut1939
tineau, General Manager at Accra Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Hazelnut,
Thank you so much for such a comprehensive review. You certainly covered all the bases. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed another positive experience with us. Your comments on the new Accra Deck restaurant are noted as we are very pleased with the success so far with this new initiative. This restaurant is very much in demand!
I was sorry to hear about your accident. However, I am pleased to advise that we now have a Mobi- Chair to assist disabled persons from the property to the beach!!
See you next year.

Jon Martineau

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The hotel provides the option for late-checkouts, which means that some rooms are not ready when you want to check in. This happened to me, however, the staff were very helpful and gave me access to the hospitality area where I could shower and change. They also gave me a voucher for a complimentary drink. After 1 hour the room was still not ready so I was given a free upgrade to a junior suite. The food choice in each of the areas - sand and lagoon bars, Coco patch and Accra deck - was not extensive but adequate as I was on room only boarding. The Sunday buffet in the Coco Patch was a little over-priced.

The location of the hotel is excellent - there are many restaurants in walking distance in Rockley and Hastings, as well as being a short ride from St Lawrence Gap, Oistins and Bridgetown. The beach is well-served with loungers and umbrellas (protection from sun and rain!), has few hawkers trying to sell goods and is good for swimming. The boardwalk is also a nice addition.

The hotel has free wifi throughout; the staff will happily help with excursions and taxis. If you want to use the spa facilities, I would advise to book as early as possible. I thought the price of rooms was expensive, however, this appears to be in line with other prices on the island.

I would recommend this hotel for its service and location; if I was to return, I would again go as room-only - there are too many other excellent eating places to explore to be tied to just the restaurants here.

Room Tip: Suites are further away from the beach, being in the middle of the 'U' shape, so although up...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Heather F
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Accra Beach hotel itself is a perfectly fine hotel. The three star rating is about right as it is rather lacking in amenities and it's not what you'd call luxury. In particular, I felt it lacked a decent bar/lounge area as I have found in other Caribbean hotels. However, this is a minor quibble as Accra has LOTS going for it - good location opposite a little shopping outlet (you must try Just Grillin for lunch), our room (an ocean front suite) was a touch dated but very clean and spacious with a great view of the hotel and sea, the pool area was very nice, grounds were we'll maintained. Didn't try any of the restaurants so can't comment on them. However, the jewel in Accra's crown is the beach itself. Long, wide, easily swimmable with some moderate surf, beautiful pink sand, not a pebble in sight (unlike some of the west coach beaches covered in broken coral - ouch!) , plenty of loungers and shades, no hassle from vendors. We tried a few of the famed west coast beaches while we were in Barbados and preferred Accra beach to all of these. We can see why it's so popular with locals and tourists.

Given that Accra beach hotel is on the lower end of the Barbados price spectrum I would say it is value for money and would recommend - especially if your priority is a great beach. My one tip would be to book an ocean front room as there is a rather unpleasant burnt out hotel on one side and you definitely wouldn't want to risk having that as a view. However, this wasn't a concern to us and we would definitely return.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank M2theWag
Reviewed February 11, 2014

nice south beach plenty views price high good food went to bridge town and the ride the bus public transport good and relative cheap
price ticket for air fare high from the caribean good night life on weekends and lots of beaches the is a boardwalk in the south and one in bridge town too nice 4 morning and even walks

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I traveled alone to Barbados and I always felt very safe. The people are extremely friendly & accommodating. I had a spacious room and a beautiful view of the shops across the street from the hotel. However, there was a slight odor in the room & once I discovered it was coming from the air conditioner, I reported it to the front desk & they immediately corrected the situation. The food is ridiculously expensive! Thus, I often dined across the street. There was also a lack of things to do @ the hotel. I would strongly suggest that they make better use of the pool by offering water exercise classes. Finally, I did enjoy the beautiful beach!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1 mi away
Yellow Bird Hotel
Yellow Bird Hotel
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Accra Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!