Eventually persuaded to cruise booked the Thomson Dream for a week – Caribbean Treasures - then a week in Barbados where we stayed at the Accra Beach Hotel. Previously stayed at Almond Beach Village but decided to try another part of the island.
The hotel is quite pretty and in a good area. It has sunbeds on the beach in front of the hotel and round the pool, which is set in pretty gardens. The pool was quite cold, the sea much warmer. We never had any difficulty obtaining a sunbed with brolly, even when we had been out on a trip.
We booked the half board option but disappointed with the limited choice of menu – they seemed to fluctuate between two almost identical menus with only 4 choices on each course. Only one choice of soup each evening. The brochure said there were two places Polynesian and main restaurant for evening meals but each was only open on specific nights, so sometimes only one option and on Friday night when they held a barbeque the Polynesian was the only other option. Lunch snacks available but, again, very monotonous menu. Lots of places nearby for lunch if you wanted a change. Directly opposite was Just Grilling where they served a decent jerk chicken barmcake amongst many other items. Local buses down to St. Lawrence Gap and Oistins for other options.
There was an invitation to the Manager’s cocktail party, where canapés and drinks were served, very enjoyable but beware the rum punch.
We would not have starved but did not feel that the meal choice lived up to the Thomson 4 star rating and and felt the brochure description was misleading in this respect.
All the staff we met very pleasant and helpful and we enjoyed a good laugh with them all.
The room was more than adequate in size and had sufficient hanging/cupboard space and was always extremely clean. It had a large walk-in shower. King size bed as is usual in the Caribbean. Towels and bed linen were changed upon request but our towels were changed even when we did not ask. There is a fridge, flat screen TV and a complimentary safe. The air-conditioning was superb, with the addition of a room fan if you preferred. The corridors are not air-conditioned but you do not spend too much time there. Most public areas are cooled by the breeze. Yes there is a derelict hotel on one side of the Accra but we asked not to be put on that side and the hotel kindly obliged.
The hotel is very busy most times because they hold a lot of conferences there, but this does not seem to have an adverse effect on holidaymakers – sometimes busy at breakfast. Several airline companies have staff staying over here.
Not much entertainment but from brochure description we were not expecting too much so were not disappointed. They did do karaoke a couple of evenings and many of the guests seemed to enjoy this and there were entertainers at the barbeque. Pianist in lobby at times.
We went to Harrison’s Cave asking the Thomson rep to book a taxi to coincide with the times of the tour there, which you have to pre-book. Worth a visit. You can probably do most things by using the reasonably priced local buses but at our age we cannot be bothered hopping on and off buses so use the tours on offer (which the hotel can also provide). A young couple in our hotel did use the buses and I understand they did an island tour for about 20 dollars.
We booked the island tour through Thomson who use Ted’s Tours. Bit of a glitch - he didn’t collect us and we had to ring to find out what was happening – it would appear he had missed us but came back, so some of the guests on the trip covered the same area twice but they all seemed to take it in good part. He takes independent bookings and is based at the Coconut Court Hotel. We almost cancelled but are glad we didn’t, it was brilliant.
The guy has obviously been doing this for years – a bajan who loves his island and has a terrific sense of humour. Plenty of rum punch and soft drinks and interesting commentaries on everything we passed. Enough stops to enjoy the views and we ended up with buffet lunch at Sunbury Plantation house – good selection and tasty. Been to the Church at St. John’s previously but none of the other guides had pointed out the unique shape of the seeds from the large tree there but Ted did. He also pointed out several restaurants and bars which he thought would suit - the sort of local knowledge we appreciated.
All in all a good holiday, might book the Accra Beach Hotel again but perhaps only with the breakfast option. Would not have starved but found the menus monotonous. In Thompson’s brochure for the first time maybe it could improve.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located overlooking the beautiful Rockley Beach, this 3 1/2 acre property exemplifies the "Caribbean Dream". All rooms offer panoramic views of the island, pool or ocean. The center-piece of the lush gardens is a large swimming pool complete with swim-up bar for a cooling refreshment or indulge in a boozy cocktail in the comfort of the 'Sand Bar'. Enjoy a hearty breakfast or lunch from our Cocopatch Restaurant or a light bite from our bar snack menu served daily.Dine in style at the Accra Deck restaurant and choose from an array of local and international European cuisine or indulge in the flavours of the Pacific Rim at the Pacifika Kitchen . Relax, rejuvenate and heal at our on-sight Chakra Spa.Choose from a wide selection of treatments and immerse yourself in the tranquil atmosphere of our spa experience. Be sure to stay at our award winning hotel during your next visit to Barbados. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Accra Beach Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Accra Beach Hotel And Spa
- Accra Beach Hotel Christ Church
- Accra Beach Hotel Barbados
- Accra Barbados
- Accra Beach Hotel & Spa Barbados/Christ Church Parish