“Wedding of our dreams not made true.”

Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Hi,

My husband and I planned the wedding of our dreams at the Accra. This wedding was made possible by the tireless effort of my mother and family. We spent two years communicating with Accra and their terrible wedding coordinator Rhea. Where to start with Rhea...Not only was she not helpful but she was rude. She was disorganized and as far as I could tell had never planned a wedding in her life.
We were having a destination wedding and flew all my family out the week before the wedding. We wanted to spend time with our friends and family but instead were running all over the island taking care of matters that were really all part of Rhea's job.
We planned a meeting to discuss finally arrangements and she had nothing planned, 3 days before my wedding!!!! She did not have the minister there to discuss the ceremony, she didn't have the DJ there to discuss the music. That meeting was a complete waste of my time. At the rehearsal none of the Accra were there to help discuss the flow or anything. Like we knew how to conduct a rehearsal. That is the point of a wedding planner!!!! It made the whole thing a lot more stress than it needed to be.
The thing that frustrated me the most was we personalized our wedding to such an extent that the Accra staff wasn't really responsible for much...Thank god because everything they were responsible for the managed to mess up. We got our own flowers, cake, photographer (E Chandlier), clothes, and decorations.

On my wedding day:
Rhea had forgot to book the minister and he arrived late. Then called me in my room while I waited and said "there is a problem" and hung up...just what every bride wants to hear on her wedding day.
guest were arriving and the decorations were not up, and instead of helping me with my hair, make up, and wedding dress my mom had to decorate the hall.
The Steel drums played the wrong songs while the wedding party walked down the aisle.
The DJ was repetitive and did not play any slow songs, I felt like I was at a rave. He was not open to suggestions in any way.
The food wasn't great but at least we got what we ordered.
There was no organization at all, the didn't announce us as man and wife, didn't announce the cake cutting, didn't announce the time for speeches, didn't announce our first dance. I thank god we had our photographer (who we hired privately) because she helped us with absolutely everything!

Now when we booked our honeymoon at the Accra they advertised ocean front and I have got news a pool view that you can see the ocean from if you look sideways IS NOT OCEAN FRONT.
Drugs sold on Accra beach and I practically saw people having sex on the beach in the middle of the day.
The activity desk is almost always empty and gives terrible advise.
My husband and I wanted to take our guest Jet Ski and the activity desk personal told us we could rent them if we walked down the beach to another hotel. The forgot to mention that this particular hotel was practically in bridge town and it took us all afternoon to get to said hotel. We would of much preferred taking a cab.
The activity desk also recommended a hiking tour that cost $150 per person to go hiking through peoples back yards and with a egotistically idiot.
expensive restaurants at the Accra.
Spa staff rushed me on my WEDDING DAY!! I only got a 30 minute message when I paid for an hour. I am sorry but a shower doesn't count as part of my spa time.

Okay now the positives:
-Our bartender rocks and really made my guests happy. Everyone to this day talks about how nice and funny he was.
-The room had nice furniture and we really enjoyed our stayed.
-You have to love island time to be able to handle the wait staff at the Accra.
- Amazing beach and pool area!
-We love the island and it's people.
- We loved the central location of the hotel. It was always easy to get on a bus going anywhere island wide.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank M H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,555)

Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed at the Accra for a conference we attended 20 minutes away. While we were not given a beach view room I actually enjoyed the view that we had which was facing the street. I loved watching the locals and comings and goings in front of the property. This hotel has everything you need from a well equipped (but small) gym, pretty little clean beach, a boardwalk which is perfect for that early morning run or stroll, convenience stores close by, and sitting areas and bars which are comfy. I discovered that it is cheaper to order room service there than to go to the buffet for breakfast expecially if you are not a huge eater. Also I loved the fact that there are small hidden pools aside from the main one to hang out at. My visit to the spa was nice but less than impressive as I feel the staff could be perked up a bit and more on point with their service. Nothing however was a negative. If you are in the market for a good deal I would recommend the Accra.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank moontide
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We booked this last minute and after reading mixed reviews I was not sure what to expect.
We were pleasantly surprised by Accra. We booked a sea view room on the advice of other reviews and we had a lovely balcony overlooking the pool and the sea beyond.
Room was clean, had everything we needed and a large super king bed. True it could do with some updating but this has been the same with other places we have visited in the Caribbean. The room was kept spotless by the housekeeping and to be honest we didnt really spend much time in our room so was more than adequate for us.
Pool area is very nice, again kept very clean and towels were easily available. Pool bar again very good and nice food at lunchtime. We booked with no meals so we were flexible with where we ate which I would recommend. The breakfast is ok but nothing special and you can get some better options just outside the hotel at various cafes and bars.
The main let down was the Coco Beach restaurant for dinner, service was extremely slow and food was poor. We decided to not bother with dessert and headed across the road to the wonderful Chilly Moo Ice cream shop-extremely good and not to be missed if you are at the Accra.
We also had a bbq night at the hotel, food was better at this and the entertainment was light hearted and enjoyable. It was actually nice to be at a hotel where there wasnt a lot of entertainment on as we wanted a quiet trip-so if you want lots of evening activities stay elsewhere. Go out on Wednesday night though as it is Karoke night and you can hear the awful singing until 10pm!
The location is great because across the road there is a small mall, you can get cash, stock the mini bar with drinks, some good places to eat-pizza, ice cream etc-we tried them all and no complaints. We also walked ten minutes down the road to Tapas which was excellent for dinner by the sea and went twice to Champers-it is well worth it!!
The beach is lovely here, we spent most of the time with loungers by the pool and then would wonder to the beach for a swim-the sea is crystal clear and calm.
What impressed us most though was the staff-everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Gabriel who books activites stayed late so he could get us onto a catamaran trip the next day and made everything very easy to organise.
I would recommend staying at the Accra and would stay there again!

Room Tip: Book a sea or pool view room
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnnaRobson
Reviewed November 1, 2011

OK, this hotel is not going to "wow" you but it has a lot of positives. I stayed here through out the month, coming in and out.
The beach is beautiful and very nice with lots of places to sit/lay out/hang out. There is a nice half a mile boardwalk to the right of the resort coming out of the beach. It is perfect for a nice walk/warm up run or a stroll where you can see some of the locals hanging out and fishing. It is very safe and there are a couple of restaurants along its side The pool is very nice, clean and it has a swim up bar.
I frequented the restaurant for breakfast and it is good and reasonable. Several local choices on the buffet. Try some breadfruit with your breakfast. Very tasty. The only negative was the juice selection. Most juices locally mass produced in the islands are very sugary. If you're into this, you'll enjoy the sugar water juice. I stuck with water.
There are plenty of close choices outside the hotel. Just Grilling has very affordable and good meals. Cheffette has a salad bar and fast food, including pizza, fried chicken and local roti which is delicious. Do yourself a favor and try it.
They have a small workout room. It has two treadmills, an elliptical and a bike. There are free weights up to 50lbs. There is a lat pull down, a chest press machine and a leg extension machine. Three poorly inflated exercise balls are also in the room. You WILL have to be creative if you want a nice and complete workout.
Free internet is available inside the rooms with an Ethernet cable provided by the front desk. Ask about it upon check in as they go fast and there's sometimes not enough of them to go around. Wi Fi is free and available in the lobby.
The rooms are clean and some views are better than others. There is an abandoned hotel next to the Accra and if you get a room next to it, well then...you get to see an abandoned dilapidated building as your view. If you do, make sure and try to spend time outside.
This hotel won't "wow" you but I would not discourage anyone from staying in the property.

Room Tip: Anything not facing the abandoned hotel.
2  Thank fitgator
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I really enjoyed staying at the Accra. The rooms facing the pool and sea are amazing. The lobby and pool is airy and nice to hang out in. The Lagoon Bar IN the pool is great.

And the beach and sea just beyond the pool is perfect. Calm swimming, occasional body surf waves, good people watching. And the staff will set you up with a lounge chair and an umbrella if all are taken.

But the restaurants are lousy. Weak menus and mediocre food preparation. Best to eat offsite.

A short walk north on boardwalk gets you to Tapas (a must for lunch or sunset dinner). A short walk south on the beach is the fancy and expensive Champers on a cliff over the sea. just before Champers is Kanei Beach bar. Great view and good for lunch.

Just across the road from the Accra is a strip mall with good eating choices. Just Grilling has awesome cheap fresh grilled fish sandwiches and burgers. Inside the strip mall courtyard is a great ice cream shop, a Mexican restaurant and a couple other choices (pizza, fish, etc.).

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Drdigipol
Reviewed October 28, 2011

If you're not staying in a view room, expect a bad view, lights that don't work, TVs that don't work well, and two twin beds pushed together to make a king. The location is fine---if you're looking for a touristy area. The pools are nice. Better than the beach which is littered with hundreds of bits of plastic from the tourist before you. Pitty the sea turtles trying to nest there. The hotel pool bar is a winner, but the overall experience of Accra? Meh. All that for $187 a night in the off-season? No thanks.

Room Tip: Get a view room or don't book at all.
1  Thank PaigeLeeds
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The Accra resort in Barbados is located right on a small, but pretty beach. There is also a 1/2 boardwalk that starts near the beach which is really nice for evening strolls. The staff are super friendly and happy to help. The pool is nice and the premises are kept clean. My main beef with this property is that the rooms are due for a facelift and are showing their age. Everything was functional, but the furniture is old, the bathroom tiles are outdated, paint on the porch is chipped and you get and old school TV. I would not have a problem staying here again if the rate is reasonable and also because staff are friendly, but some renovations are due.

4  Thank Roombaguy
1 mi away
Yellow Bird Hotel
Yellow Bird Hotel
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Accra Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!