“WONDERFUL PROPERTY -- Exceeded Expectations”

Little Arches Boutique Hotel
Reviewed July 6, 2010

From arrival our visit to Little Arches was wonderful. I arranged for a hotel pick up at the airport where we were met and quickly shuttled to the hotel. When we arrived we were taken straight to our room where we completed the check in process and were given a glass of Fruit Punch (Which my husband promptly added some of the complimentary Rum to). Absolutely cannot complain about the check in …. Never had a check in go smoother.

First impressions, the hotel itself is beautiful and well cared for. It is directly across from a cliff but only a short walk to Miami Beach. Personally I preferred this as I am not a fan of having people being able to walk right up to my room from the beach.

The rooms:

For 6 nights of our stay we were in room 2 which was the Luxury Ocean Suite with the private plunge pool. Private is all how you define it. You do not share this pool with anyone else and it’s a perfect size and depth to take a dip and cool off. You also have a nice table and two chairs where you can sit and dine or sip your morning coffee and two comfy loungers so you can sun bathe right there without being disturbed. There is also a nice umbrella so you can block the sun if you prefer shade. However, if you are in room 2 you share the entrance with room 1 which is to the left if you are facing your room so when they first enter the other guests can get full view of your area. The other thing that makes it not “secluded” private is that your room is directly below the pool deck so anyone who comes to the edge to get a closer look at the sea, can look down at your pool. If the umbrella is open it does block the view a bit but anyone who is nosey and wants to see what is up down there can get to one side or the other and peer down at you. It really didn’t bother us at all. I think I only saw someone at the upper deck railing one time and they were checking in and getting their tour. Yes your room also fronts the street so if someone tries they can peer over the fence and possibly see you but for the most part people along that road respect your privacy. Yes there is also a parking area for the hotel next to your entrance but the traffic in and out of the car park was minimal and never really bothered us.

The room itself is not huge but it had everything we needed. This is a single level room with a sitting area with a couch and chair, a kitchenette with a table and three chairs, good size fridge, stove, dishes, coffee maker, etc. More than enough to prepare a meal or two if you so desire. There is a wall which separates the kitchenette from the sleeping area which also has an opening in it so you can see through to the TV if you want to lay in bed and view. The bed was very comfy. The room had a full dresser and closet with plenty of room to unpack. The bathroom area had a nice shower and a good sized vanity that also had drawers allowing you to unpack and keep the counter top uncluttered. There is one sink and mirror so you do need to coordinate sharing if you are getting ready to go out. One thing to note, which I forgot to mention to the management and plan to, is that the lighting over that mirror is very soft and it’s hard to put your make up on.

Overall I loved this room. I loved having the private pool and the view of the sea outside. My ONLY complaint which was more on my husbands behalf was that the AC unit is located in the sitting area. There is a ceiling fan in that area as well as one over the bed. The sitting area got pretty cool but the wall that separates the kitchenette from the sleeping area seems to block the cool air from getting to you. It gets cool but not COOL. For me it wasn’t an issue because I’m NOT a fan of AC but for my very large husband, this was a problem. The plus of this room is that it’s under the pool deck so there is very little noise to bother you over head. The only other negative I can mention is that this room does not get internet service so you will have to move up to the pool deck or lobby if you want to get wireless signal.

Due to a change in dates our room was not available for the full time and our last night we were relocated to room 4. This is a split level room with an ocean view. When you first enter your room you can walk straight into the bathroom. There is a small vanity with a single sink, toilet and shower. Good part, you can use the bathroom facilities without disturbing your mate. There is a door that closes this room off and essentially puts a buffer between the bathroom and the exit of the room. To your right there is another glass door that serves as a buffer from the bathroom and the main room which is a big plus in keeping the cold in. The upper level of the room is the sleeping area with a king size canopy bed, the AC unit and a small fridge. The lower level overlooks the pond and the sea (yes also the parking lot but really it’s not like some ugly cement lot and frankly I really didn’t notice). There is a table, two chairs, a small vanity and closet.

I loved the layout of this room because it’s different from most hotel rooms. The bed was comfy, the flat screen tv was wall mounted so you could lay in bed and watch it. The AC perfectly located to keep the sleep area cool.

Internet signal reaches this room so there is a plus there.

The negative. You are below the Café Luna and yes you do get noise from chairs being moved. Unfortunately there was a small wedding reception that night that went until 11:00 pm and they were a bit loud at times and there was a LOT of chair movement. Sandra came to our rescue and offered us another room so that we could sleep if they went too late. We were just about ready to take her up on it when the crowd departed and we had the remainder of the night to rest.

Sandra informed me that when they shut down in September they plan to put in insulation between the Café and the rooms to deal with that noise issue. I’m sure that will make a HUGE difference.

The rest. The food at Luna was wonderful. We had breakfast there every day. When we had to leave early for our catamaran tour Sandra put our breakfast order in to be delivered to our room before we left so we could get ready and not have to rush. We didn’t eat lunch there so I can’t say anything about that but the dinners were wonderful. Presentation A+, flavor A+, service A+++. Room service was also outstanding. Quick and responsive.

I’ve saved the best for last. The entire staff from the desk to those keeping the place maintained do the most amazing job. Sandra, Soma and Cherrise were AMAZING and took wonderful care of us. They truly made us feel like family. No request was too large or small from getting ice sent to our room, making reservations or confirming existing reservations. In all my travels I have found that no matter how nice the property is, if the staff is rude or indifferent it can make your stay less than pleasant. The staff makes this wonderful hotel an unparalleled experience. Before our arrival the email communications were outstanding and even after we departed it has continued.

This is not the hotel to say in if you are looking for big resort services or atmosphere. If you want a place where you can relax, unwind and unplug, and be spoiled with outstanding service, this IS the place for you. I highly recommend that you do your research. The property is beach front but not on the beach. Yes you have to cross the street to get to it and walk a little ways, but it’s not that far. The staff is ready and willing to carry chairs down for you and help get them back. Sitting on the cliff and listening to the waves is quite relaxing. At this location you get both soft sandy beach and cliffs without having to drive anywhere. Yes there is a road in front of the hotel BUT it’s not a main road and it really isn’t that busy. Yes, they do drive down it pretty fast, but that’s how they drive everywhere.

Thanks again to the staff for a wonderful stay at Little Arches. We will be back again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrsCombs
sunshinesandra, General Manager at Little Arches Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

You would be pleased to know that thanks to your comments and suggestions we have now installed larger air-conditioning units in the Luxury Ocean Suites. As you know, we also received some other comments about the soundproofing of the restaurant floor and we completed this project during our renovations in September - this has improved the situation.

Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Sandra

There are newer reviews for Little Arches Boutique Hotel

Reviewed June 30, 2010

This was, hands down, the most amazing place I have ever visited.

My visit STARTED before I went down. My fiancee and I decided to get married on the cliffs in front of Little Arches (a SPECTACULAR view). Their wedding planner (Emma) made sure we were always aware of any updates before hand and took care of almost every detail of our wedding for us.

I arrived with one of my groomsmen and my fiancee and two of her bridesmaids, and the Hotel staff met us with cold tropical drinks and towels that had been soaked in lemongrass and cold water (They offered those towels constantly and I never turned one down), which was a real treat in the heat. The manager showed us around the resort and made sure we were taken care of. For the next few days before the wedding, we were treated like royalty. The staff of both the resort AND the cafe (Cafe Luna, on the top of the resort) knew all of our names by the first day and the drinks and food we liked by the second day. Our trip to Bridgetown to get our marriage license was also planned for us so that all we had to do was sign on the line.

On the day of the wedding it rained ALL day (as June is the rainy season) and the wedding planner (Emma) had a contingency plan to have the wedding in the cafe. It turned out to be better in the cafe than I had imagined it would be on the cliffs! They then rearranged everything quickly for our reception and did it without anyone really noticing. They made my wedding day the most amazing wedding I could have dreamed of.

As for the wedding night, the resort staff took care of my wife & I in making sure that as SOON as we entered the room it was worry-free (they had set out & lit candles, did some beautiful rose petal arrangements, etc.) and made my wedding night a beautiful gift to my wife.

We stayed at Little Arches for the rest of the week and it was continually, consistently above and beyond any expectations I could have had. If my wife and I wanted to do any type of trip or extra feature, all I had to do was call the front desk and they'd arrange transportation, catamaran trips, jeep safaris, in room couple's massage, dinner reservations...pretty much EVERYTHING a guy doesn't want to have to worry about trying to coordinate on his honeymoon but wants to do for his wife, they took care of for me.

As for Cafe Luna, we ate 75-80% of our meals there. All of the waiters, managers and bar tenders have an island-air to them, the kind that makes you instantly feel like you've been long-time friends, that they're as laid back as it gets and that they haven't a care in the world. The best part about that was that not a SINGLE thing that we ordered came out wrong. They made you feel like you were the only person in the cafe (you have to make reservations, and it was rare to find more than 2 empty tables) and you knew that you were being taken care of. Moo (The head chef) is always there at night hanging out, and deserves the highest compliment for his dishes. If you're staying at the resort on Thursday nights, the management all hangs out at the bar for a "free" meet-and-greet. The only caution I have for eating there, is that you won't enjoy any food at ANY place on the island (and FOR SURE at home) because Cafe Luna's was just so darn good.

In short, if you go to Barbados, you would be doing yourself a grave injustice to stay anywhere OTHER than Little Arches. This place deserved to win it's Best in class in Luxury Resorts award (which translates to "Best Resort in Barbados, Period") from the Barbados Hotel Association and really should just be given a class of it's own.

The people, the rooms, the staff, the food, the organization: More companies should run as tight and seamless an organization as LIttle Arches.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank theEskimoFriend
Reviewed June 27, 2010

It has been almost 11 months since our stay at Little Arches but after a recent vacation where we kept wishing we were back at Little Arches we truly realized how beautiful it is and wanted to provide our opinion.

Pros - Amazing food at the rooftop restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Some of the best sushi and shrimp we've had anywhere and we never had a bad dish in 7 days. Hotel customer service was easily the best we've experienced anywhere. The rooms themselves are just perfect in that it is unique enough to feel like a vacation but suberbly cleaned every day and intimate enough to make you feel as comfortable as home when your head hits the pillow. The local beach is quiet and uncrowded compared to most American or Carribbean beaches and the sand and water are beautiful. Our catamaran cruise was an awesome experience and we also recommend the local fish fry and a visit to bridgetown during the day and st. lawerence gap at night.

Con - The only thing I would mention as a con is that you should know that its a small boutique hotel and the immediate area is fairly quiet so if you're looking to party or be able to do many different things on the hotel grounds then this is not the place for you. However, I will stress that there is plenty to do if you leave the hotel area and explore the island. And Barbados seems to be a very safe, easy to navigate island with plenty of great areas to explore. But on the hotel grounds you should be prepared to have the options of relaxing, eating great food, and enjoying the beach.

All in all, the best vacation experience we've had to date and I would highly recommend for a honeymoon or a relaxing week away.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jbechtel189
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We had been trying to book a room at Little Arches for a considerable number of years but because of date restraints had been unable to secure one, until this March. As we were unable to book for longer than 8 nights and as it was our first time to Barbados, we decided to spend the first 6 nights on the west coast. We opted for the Almond Beach Club Resort and Spa (all inclusive) which was fine but thank goodness we saved the best until last. We found the west coast a huge disappointment, the beaches not at all as we imagined (perhaps we have been spoilt in the past) but once we arrived at Little Arches and saw the beach, we were overjoyed.
From the moment we checked in, we felt part of a loving family. We were greeted so warmly and were informed that due to a cancellation, we would have the added benefit of a seaview room for the first three nights. Perfect.
All of the staff, without exception, were wonderful and nothing was too much trouble.
We met so many interesting fellow guests from all around the world and returning back from the beach each evening, became a social gathering.
My husband thoroughly enjoyed the golf with a fellow Brit (Roger, who has been a regular for years) and we are still in contact. For two mornings I had the whole of the pool area to myself, it was like having my own luxury villa.
I cannot recommend this little gem highly enough and just hope that the word doesn't spread too far, as we will be unable to secure a room in the future.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wendyEastYorkshire
Reviewed May 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed for 10 nights in Little Arches from early May. We are both seasoned travellers who usually stay in larger, 5* hotels, The whole experience was consistently exceptional. Our room was lovely - really spacious, a decent shower, lovely comfortable bed and had good air con ( a must for Barbados temperatures!).

Everyone involved delivered an amazingly high level of customer service, which made our stay totally hassle and stress free. Lots of lovely touches, for example chilled towels to cool you down while sunbathing. Special thanks to Emma, Soma, Cherrise and Sondra for sorting restaurants, taxis and anything else we needed, and to Neeta in the restaurant for looking after us so well (and always with a smile) nearly every morning and lunchtime.

The location was great - a gorgeous beach just 1 min stroll away, Oistins 5 mins walk away, Cafe Luna restaurant just upstairs (which was excellent both times we ate there) some other great restaurants within 15 mins in a taxi (Champers, Azul, Josef's and Tapas) and St. Lawrence Gap 10 mins by taxi away if you want a busier nightlife.

You can do as much or as little as you like, and no-one will pester you to "join in". We did very little apart from totally chill out, but we did do the catamaran trip they provided and swam with the turtles which was a fantastic experience.

We'll definitely be going back and would happily recommend Little Arches to anyone.

3  Thank AMJ_7
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Thanks to the great reviews on Tripadvisor, we were able to experience a very romantic and wonderful trip to Barbados.

Little Arches was a great find. The service staff was simply incredible. Soma, was WONDERFUL. She made sure we had bath towels, beach chairs, dinner reservations, etc. She was a SUPER WOMAN and her customer service alone made our trip GRAND! We did not have to worry about a thing.

We stayed in the Ocean Deluxe Room which was lovely. The bathroom was spacious and the amenities were adequate for our stay. During the evening, we did hear noise from their upstairs restaurant, but the hotel reassured us that they will soundproof the floor in September.

Their pool is small, but great for dipping your toes or soaking. No diving! :) The terrace overlooking the ocean is to-die-for. We spent a majority of our afternoons on this terrace, sipping rum, reading, or smoking our Cuban cigars without interruption or distractions.

It felt like our own beach home facing Miami Beach (the best beach). Love it!

Walking distance to Oistens for the Friday Fish Fry.

Would recommend car rental to explore other areas of the island. Do go to the Mount Rum Distillery tour and book the Sunset Cruise Snorkeling Trip ($55 pp USD).

Highly recommend the hotel to anyone who likes romance, quietness, and excellent customer service in a boutique environment.

3  Thank Betty N
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed here for 5 days - our first time in Barbados. We really loved LIttle Arches. Our room was large and very comfortable, with doors leading direct to the swimming pool (the area is reserved for hotel guests). Service was completely charming throughout our stay. The food at Cafe Luna was consistently good - and we particularly enjoyed the breakfasts. The hotel is located close to a lovely beach - one area of the beach can have difficult currents (although we did not have any problems while we were there) but the other side is very calm. The hotel is also located a short stroll from Oistins, and the Friday night fish-fry was a great experience. On-site car rental at the hotel made taking a car out for the day very easy and convenient.

2  Thank SAW51
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#2 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
The SoCo Hotel-Adults Only All Inclusive
Colony Club by Elegant Hotels

Been to Little Arches Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!