“Convenient and Affordable”

Beach Guest-house Cleverdale
Reviewed June 18, 2012

It was our first family vacation with our 8 month old son and our stay at Cleverdale made it possible. I can't say enough good things about Brigette and Stephanie. They were helpful, informative and patient. Brigette was considerate enough to provide a bath tub for my son at no cost. We stayed in one of the studio apartments for US$55 per night.

Accommodations: The bedroom was basic and small. There is a small kitchenette, bed,basic cable television, narrow corridor leading into small closet area and a bathroom. Two twin beds were pushed together for our stay. It was not very comfortable sleeping in the middle of the bed but we made it work. I saved money preparing meals. There were enough kitchen utensils and the stove worked well. We could not make ice in the refrigerator. The bathroom was clean and the hot and cold water worked well. The drapes in the room were mouldy and needed cleaning. I wish we had an extra fan in the day time when it got humid but at night the ceiling fan was good enough. The garden on our side was beautiful and my son enjoyed exploring. The porch is the saving grace for the small apartment. We were not allowed to use the front of the porch since it was used by the guests in the main house but we did not need that much space. The side porch was good enough and it was refreshing sitting on the porch looking at the ocean. By the second day the guests from the main house and my husband were sharing stories and drinking together. I felt very safe at Cleverdale but I was in bed with my son very early. Unfortunately, one of the girls in the main house was mugged in St. Lawrence Gap around 2 am. The Gap in the day time was lonely and I would not have felt safe there at night.

At the back of the beach house the grocery is within walking distance. I preferred the grocery closer to the gas station. It was big and well stocked. The restaurants on the Gap are expensive but take advantage of happy hour in the restaurants. Take a $2 taxi ride or walk to the shopping centre near Rockley beach where the food is more reasonable.

Cleverdale overlooks Worthing beach.This beach is beautiful. white sand and light blue water. My son was so excited in the water. There were few people on the beach. Do not walk on the beach at night. It is very dark.

I cannot wait to visit Barbados again when my son is older. There is so much I want to see. I would definitely stay at Cleverdale. It is cosy, welcoming and affordable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank CNANCOO

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I am really reluctant to write this review, I am already booked for next Feb, and maybe be headed there for Cropover this summer. You have to book well in advance in most cases in order to get the dates you want, and I guess a good review will make it even more difficult.
I have stayed at many places in the area, but for value and location this can not be topped.
The staff from Brigitte, the manager to Stephannie her assistant and Doreen, who keeps the place spotless, what can I say,I consider them friends! I usually stay in a one bedroom with its own washroom(shower) and use the communial kitchen which is large and well equipped.
As other reviewrs have noted the beach is only steps away across an empty lot. The Caribe Beach Bar and the Crystal Waters are only a few steps away, in fact the Caribe is 130 steps or staggers on the way back from Happy Hour! The Big B grocery store is about a 15 min walk and they will drive you back with your groceries for free, I usually tip the driver. The bus service which is 5 minutes away has gone up to $2.00 Bajan as has the Route Cabs, but since they can get you almost anywhere, well worth it! This is not luxury accomodation, its like going to an old cottage, but all of the people I have met there, usually on the balcony have been really nice and some have turned into good friends I keep in touch with. A great place, now just hope not too many people book it ! Sorry Brigitte!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank bobmac
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Brilliant location for holidaying with small children by the beach! We rented the whole house for a family get together for a few weeks and the layout of the house and its size, great location (just by the best beach with kids in Barbados, close to great beach bar and in close proximity to the Gap and the supermarket) left everybody of the family happy. All the staff were very helpful and Brigitte did an excellent job helping us organise our wedding!
The house was very clean and taken care off very well by Doreen.

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank Verena-barbados
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Accommodations:
-simple
-clean
-good shower (water pressure, drainage)
-beds were old but fine
-sheets were clean
-no A/C so no need for more than a sheet (fan is essential)
-bug nets available, but we didn't use them once out of the tree nights and didn't get any bites (my fiancé is super sensitive so this was a plus)
-good front porch
-full kitchen which we didn't use at all

Location
-walking distance to the gap and good homebase location if you want to explore the entire island (which we did)
-reasonably quiet at night
-steps from a great beach that is protected by a reef
-more of a local vibe

Misc
-staff very helpful and knowledgeable
-good wifi in house
-landline available for local calls
-renting a car with GPS made getting around super smooth

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank NYCviaMinnesota
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Cleverdale beach house is a nice, basic and clean accomodation really close to the beautiful Sandy Beach.
The single room was a bit small than expected but I think it's priceworth, besides you can enjoy the kitchen room, the veranda and living room.
It's a 5 minute walk away from the Gap, centre of local nightlife.
Best part of it is the friendly people I have met, both local and tourist.
Brigitte and Stephanie, the hosts were also very helpful with advices and informations.
I think I'll come back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank stellamarinaa
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I can't say enough good things about my stay at Cleverdale. Someone on Trip Advisor sent me a private message recommending that I head there as a solo female traveler, and after what felt like hours of extensive research on my own, that one little gem of advice made my trip everything I could have asked for and more.
It is perfect for a budget traveler who is looking for a quiet beach location that is still near all the great offerings of the island - Bridgetown (15 mins by bus or car), St. Lawrence Gap (5 minute walk), Carib Beach Bar and Crystal Waters (just a step away on the beach), Oistins (10 mins on bus), and much much more. It is very quiet at night, and the sound of the ocean laps right up to the porch where you can sit and read, take a break from the sun, or laugh with all the wonderful and friendly travelers you will meet on your stay there.
Brigitte runs the place, and she is very helpful and a great friendly personality who is very honest and up front, and will help with anything you need in regards to what you would like to do on the island. Her help was fantastic, and I only wish I was there longer to take advantage of her personalized tour of the island.
All in all, my stay was perfect, down to the people who happened to be staying there as well. I will be going back as soon as I can.

Room Tip: If you want your own apartment feel, get a studio. I stayed in a room with its own bathroom and sha...