“Loved it!”

Bougainvillea Barbados
Reviewed May 13, 2007

The Bougainvillea is a wonderful resort with a fantastic staff and a lovely beach. We went to Barbados for our honeymoon in Feb. 2007. We booked through Air Canada Vacations and would do so again without reservation.

When we arrived in Barbados, getting through customs was swift and we were promptly directed where to go and driven to our resort. If you haven’t booked through a tour operator and need a cab, there are plenty. One thing you can’t do is use the luggage trollies that are there in the airport. Baggage people will take your luggage for you when you get it for a tip of $1 per bag, however, a polite no thank you and they will leave you alone.

The drive to the resort is pleasant, although they do drive quite crazy over there! The grounds and homes are all well-kept; you do not see poverty everywhere you look like else-where in the Caribbean. The island is well-groomed and very clean. There were some houses that were not as nice but most were still kept-up no matter how modest they might have been. Everywhere we looked there were people picking up garbage on the side of the road and doing clean-up work to keep the island tidy.

When we arrived at the Bougainvillea, before we even got to check in, we were welcomed to Barbados and offered free rum punch. Our flight was early so we went to the pool bar and had a drink and socialized a bit before being showed to our room. Our travel agent told the hotel that it was our honeymoon and they had a bottle of champagne in the fridge for us and a nice card; just an example of the thoughtful service that this hotel is known for. Our room was gorgeous with an ocean view. It was cleaned every day and the housekeeping staff even cleaned our dishes which was much appreciated and not expected.

All rooms have either an ocean view or a pool view. In my opinion, there wasn’t a bad view in any of the rooms so this shouldn’t be too much of a concern. Every room has a kitchenette which is great for families traveling with children or those on a budget as you can buy groceries cheaply enough and prepare meals in your room if you don’t feel like going out. There is also a full size fridge to keep things cold. It is well worth it to visit the convenience store to get your liquor as it is more expensive if you buy it from the bar ($3.50 US for a beer and about the same, I think, for a mixed drink). The bar does have great blender drinks though, especially the Mudslides and the Daquiries. Yumm!

The grounds were impeccable and the pools were always clean and never over-crowded. It was very relaxing to sit out and read a book which I did every afternoon. There are gorgeous water falls and beautiful flowers around the pool area.

I cant understand what other reviewers are talking about when they sa the beach was dirty and the umbrellas were unavailable etc. We went in peak season in Feb and the beach was beautiful and never over-crowded. There were always plenty of sun-loungers and Justin at the water-sports hut was always around to get an umbrella for you. And ladies, once you get a look at him, you will want that umbrella every day you are there! ;) What a looker!

We booked an excursion through the water-sports hut and were glad we did. We had planned to do the Jolly Roger but heard from the locals that it was not as much fun as it sounded as they fed you liquor until you could hardly stand on the boat and it was wall to wall the entire time. We instead chose to book a snorkel trip through the water-sports desk at the resort. The owner, JP, took us up the coast while we listened to Bob Marley and we swam with the sea turtles (which are huge!) and snorkeled on a ship wreck which was amazing! You get rum punch while you are out and it is a very intimate trip; only 6 people on the boat. The larger tours take upwards of 50 people and it makes it hard for everyone to swim with the turtles and makes it crowded for snorkeling the wrecks too. It is also much cheaper to do the trip through the resort and they only keep you out about 3 hours instead of the whole day. And they also won’t take you if the conditions are not good. If it is rainy and the water is churned up, the turtles will stay on the bottom and not come up and it makes it impossible to see anything while snorkeling as well. The larger trips will take you no matter what so beware.

We also did the 4X4 Island Safari with infamous tour guide, Cassius Clay. This is a must for anyone visiting Barbados. They pick you up at the hotel and you get on the back of a Jeep and they take you to a rainforest, Bathsheba, a pottery house, through fields of ripe bananas and mangoes and other places that you would not get to see otherwise. We even saw monkeys! It is a beautiful trip with scenery that you wouldn’t believe! It includes lunch and of course, rum punch! It is an all day event though, and you will be tired after the trip. It is a blast though.

The resort is close to the St. Lawrence Gap and many people felt comfortable walking there in the daytime. Most often we went at night so we took a cab. Eddie is the guy to get for a cab and he is right out front of the hotel most of the time. His SUV is clean and he is a great guy. Barbados is very safe and we felt comfortable walking off the resort. We slept with our patio doors open every night and were never afraid. While you need to use the common sense you would use while traveling in any foreign country, we felt that Barbados was safe. It should be mentioned that while some people did walk there and it does say it’s within walking distance to the Gap it’s not really that close. I would say it would take a good 30-40 minutes to walk to the happening part of the Gap where all the restaurants are.

There is a convenience store about a one minute walk from the resort that has all the necessities (beer, rum, pop, chips and other munchies); they also have fresh baked goods that are delicious, especially the rum cake.

We ate several meals at the resort at the Water’s Edge restaurant and they were good but pale in comparison to the restaurants in the Gap. We also ate at Bellini’s (very good, make a reservation for a water front table); McBride’s Pub and the Ship’s Inn. The Ship’s Inn was terrible! The food was absolutely disgusting, to the point that had I not been on vacation I would have complained and not paid for the meal. It seems like the place to go to party however and is very popular. McBride’s was fantastic; the best wings I’ve had anywhere and the service is great there and the atmosphere is awesome; very laid back. But, perhaps the best food we had on the island in terms of down-home Bajan cooking was Leroy’s van which pulls up right across from the hotel very week day at noon. Usually there is a line so go early. For $7 US you get fried or baked chicken (a huge piece) or some type of fish and macaroni pie or potatoes, salad and coleslaw. This is an excellent deal and very tasty!!! Leroy’s wife is from Canada, to boot!  He is a real sweetheart and the food is to die for. The Whistling Frog was about a 7 minute walk from the resort and the food there was good as well.

The drinks at the hotel were good (strong as well) and Marguerite, the bar tender at the pool bar is a real sweetheart! All the staff at the hotel, and other places we went, were all the very best. The people in Barbados are the nicest you will meet anywhere, very genuine and friendly.

We did some shopping while we were there and didn’t find the prices to be outrageous for most things as they usually are in other touristy areas.

Also, there are TONS of cabbies everywhere so there is never a problem getting one when you are out in the Gap.

The only complaint we had about the trip was that we were approached many times to buy drugs (3 times on the beach right in front of the hotel!). The guys come right up to you and ask if you want a “smoke” or “green” and they will even approach you under the guise of selling you aloe vera and then try to sell you dope. I found this annoying and a little scary. Although, I must say, with a polite no thank you they left you alone telling you that they were “still your friends.”

We will be going back to Barbados for sure and will be staying at the Bougainvillea again. We had a look at resorts around the island and are certain ours was the best value for the money. The Barbados Beach Club was next to the Bougainvillea and they had a very tiny beach and little choice for restaurants. The all-inclusives in Barbados are few and were not worth it to us as we wanted to visit local restaurants since its safe to do so and experience the island. That’s the reason we went there in the first place, to leave the resort and explore, something you can’t do safely in other Caribbean destinations. Do your research though because we did see some shady establishments that looked a bit scary!

Barbados is a bit more pricey than other destinations like the DR or Cuba but we felt it was well worth the money. Nothing about the holiday was orchestrated or controlled…you could go where you want, eat where you want and take whatever tours you wanted.

One thing to note: this is not a resort for hard-core partiers. There are a lot of older people there (I would say the average age would be about 50) and quite a few families with children. We are 25 and were there on honeymoon so it was perfect for us. However, those wanting to party and carry on until all hours may not find the Boug to be the best place to do that.

Also, unless you are quite adventurous, I wouldn’t rent a car as the roads are terribly confusing and they drive on the left.

We drank the water the whole time we were there without incident and not once did our stomach’s get upset by the food or anything else. We didn’t have to get any shots either before we went.

One tip: it is a long flight from Toronto (about 5 hours). I wished that I had upgraded to a first class seat because Air Canada was so cramped that I nearly had a panic attack! Maybe other airlines are better for this, but fair warning to those flying AC!

All in all, a wonderful place to vacation and a fabulously romantic honeymoon destination. From the moment you step foot out of the cab and enter the resort you feel like time stops and you are in true paradise. The staff goes out of their way to make your stay comfortable and the beauty of the island is breath-taking. I have been to 3 islands in the Bahamas and none compare to Barbados. We will certainly go back!!!

Email if you'd like more info. I'd be happy to answer any questions, I know this site helped me a lot when booking our honeymoon!

jenny_1096@hotmail.com

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank graham82
Write a ReviewReviews (2,028)

Reviewed May 7, 2007

I'm posting a bit late (I went in June 2006), but I wanted to contribute a review. My mom, my friend, and I stayed at the Bougainvillea last year and really liked it; however, my expectations for the hotel did not line up with the reality. For instance, based on the pictures I saw on Tripadvisor before going, I thought the pool would be much bigger than it was. I also thought the hotel would be fancier. However, the hotel had a very homey feeling that I liked. I should note that the beach (which was gorgeous by the way) had very rough waves throughout our stay (my friend and I are good swimmers who enjoyed this). We would definitely consider going to the Bougainvillea again, but this year, we're going to Hawaii.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank seashell20
Reviewed May 6, 2007

I have just learned of this web site and want to share a wonderful experience.

Barbados is where I was born and I have always loved this beautiful little island. This past January, I returned to Barbados with my daughter, after being away almost 30 years.

Having been away from Barbados for so long, I didn’t know where to stay. As it turned out, we had the very good fortune to book our stay at Bougainvillea Beach Resort. Bougainvillea Beach Resort is an absolutely superb hotel. Everything about it was amazing. The staff was enthusiastic, cheerful and friendly.

Our room looking over the sea was perfect, and the beach was beautiful. My daughter and I were so impressed with Bougainvillea Beach Resort that we are planning to return next year with our whole family.

We would like to thank all the staff at Bougainvillea Beach Resort for a truly wonderful experience.

Thank you.
Karen MacKenzie-Brydon

• Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank Mackart
Reviewed April 9, 2007

We loved our stay at the Bougainvillea. We are a family with 3 children ages 11,9,7 and travel with a family with 2 children ages 10 and 8. This resort is big enough for the kids to enjoy themselves but small enough that we don't have to sit on top of them or else lose them in the masses. We loved the surf on the beach - we spend summers on the Carolina and Delaware shores - and loved the boogie boards. The kids stayed in the water for hours - unlike when it's as calm as a pond - and they get a bit bored just swimming around. Easy entry into the water, meaning no shells or coral banging your feet - unlike the beach at the West Coast we visited one day. All the guys at the pool shack are great - make sure you book the turtle tour here - small boat, leaves early, before the masses descend upon the turtles.

Resort is well maintained and very clean - I think every room has a great view. Construction didn't bother us - but they do start at 8am. Probably a bit quieter on the other side of the property.

We thought the food was more than above average at the two onsite restaurants. We ate there often, convenience factor, and enjoyed it. We had dinner at Picses and loved it - great atmosphere, the Italian place, Bellisimo's, I think was OK - great atmosphere - both in the Gap. You cannot walk to the Gap from the Bougainvillea - very misleading remark.

Cabbed it up to the West Coast and went to a beach by the Blue Monkey Bar/Restaurant. Prepare to be solicited the moment you step foot on the sand - it was really very annoying. Beach was OK - tons of beach glass - kids loved looking for it. Didn't feel as if we were missing anything by staying South.

We were expecting lots of Steel Pan Music - we found it hard to find. The hotel had entertainment 3 of the nights we were there- Band one night, show another, DJ the third. Would have enjoyed something every night. Great fun dancing barefoot on the beach!!

Very friendly people that truely welcomed tourists - very nice airport as well -

Overall - had a great time and it was generally what we expected it would be.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
10  Thank kitsos
Reviewed April 8, 2007

We stayed in this resort for the month of February. Overall it was good however there are a few things to be mindful of. Since we were staying a month we wanted a room with kitchen facilities we booked into a deluxe room whixh we found on arrival,was the only room out of the 3 types available i.e basic, deluxe and one bedroomed apartment which only had a kitchenette which consists of two ring electric hob ,microwave and fridge. We also ticked the box for requesting a king sized bed, however again it wasnt explained that by doing so you for-go the sitting area which you see in all brocheures and their web-site. The first room they showed us was in a terrible need of refurbishment and was very small with only a king sized bed, after complaining that we hadnt got' what it said on the tin' we were moved up a floor and this room was nicely decorated and had that all important sitting area.
Beaches
The main beach was always very busy and not at all clean , a giant ash tray really. we stayed at the small beach in front of the water front restaurant. Which wasn't widely used. Although management run a 'no reservation of sun beds' rule, this sadly wasn't adherred to, mind you sun beds were never really a problem however sun umbrellas were as they only had 20 which meant you did have to be down at 8.30 to get one from the hut, much to my hubbys reluctance. Being february the place was jam packed particularly families and facilities looked great for kids. Food was good in the beach cafe, didnt try the water front due to previous reviews and the fact that it was never busy.

The best thing about the resort is the location. It is on a quite road a few miles from St. lawrence gap. At night it is very quite and you wont here much after 10pm which would be a down side for anyone wanting a drink and a socialable laugh in the pool bar. Buses run all over the island for 1.50BD and it only takes a few minutes to Oistens or St lawrence.

There are a few bars and eateries worth trying in Maxwell it self paricullarly 'croton' on the main road which does great ribs at the week end.

Our biggest let down was st.lawrence gap which really could have been in any tacky european beach resort, we were offered drugs nightly and girls travelling together do come under harassment from the local men. The bean and bagel was good for lunch and had internet and phone service. To use the public phones is very expensive even with calling cards. The only solid recommendation i would give for good food is 'WHISPERS' a new venture at bridge town. It is simply fantastic.

We had a great holiday and worth a visit however if you are looking for that picture post card caribean ideal i would not recommend barbados, it is very built up and run down not to mention overly expensive, the beaches arn't great not even at sandy lane. That said, we had a ball!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank nelly1367
Reviewed March 31, 2007

My boyfriend and I are both in our 30s and we picked this resort based on the reviews on here. It was pretty much what I expected and the reviews and depiction of the resort were very accurate. The grounds of the Bougainvillea are beautiful. There are flowers everywhere and they even put flower petals in your room when you arrive. The staff there is very friendly and welcoming, as was almost everyone we met from Barbados. They seem to be genuine and like the tourists and are very helpful if you need to get around.

The pool was nice but geared more towards families and children then couples. They have pretty waterfalls by the pools. The pool bar is just OK. The service was pretty slow there but we didn't spend too much time there. The beach at the resort is very pretty. The water is rough, so it wouldn't be suitable for children. Even as a very good swimmer, I myself, found it too rough to go far out and swim. The beach is on the smaller side, but nice and quaint. There are water rentals right there also, if you want to rent a boogie board...

As far as the rooms go, they were great, I thought. It was perfect for what we needed, as far as space. It had a nice kitchen and pretty large bathroom, pull out couch and balcony over looking the pool. It was very clean also. The only bad thing was our room was on the same side as the construction, so we could hear the construction in the morning, which was a bit annoying.

My boyfriend and I are both athletes and we were very happy with the gym there. They had a lot of nice equipment. We only ate at Lanterns and not the fine dining. Lanterns was OK, I'd say. It was quite expensive there. I think our lunch was $60 USD and we only had sandwiches. And breakfast was pricey, as well.

I agree with one other poster who said it's misleading when they claim that St Lawrance Gap is within walking distance. We actually ran one day past the Boatyard, in that direction, and the Gap is a FAR run/walk. Well, it must be about 4 miles, I'd say. The roads are very narrow, so I would not recommend walking there.

St Lawrance Gap is the place to go for dinner/drinks. The Regaee Lounge was a bit scary but we like the Ship Inn and the Irish bar. We ate at Piceces and we loved the food there.

They got us on the cab fares. It's kinda pricey. I think it is $7USD one way to get to the Gap. We rented a jeep for 2 days and it's $100 a day and was fun. Just avoid the Northern inland of the island. We got very lost (roads are VERY confusing) and a man jumped in front of our jeep making us pay him money up by Cherry Hill. In those areas, they are just waiting for tourists to come by.

We were disappointed with Harbor Lights, despite all the great reviews on here. It was very "disney" and I guess we'd say "cheesey." I thought the show would be much better for the price we paid. It was over $100 each, I think, with food and free drinks. But not worth it. We went to Boat Yard, which I'd recommend, and rented jet skis there. The waters are calmer there and they have a nice bar/restaurant.

I was happy with the resort but I think we'd stay on the West Coast or East Coast next time. The West Coast is more touristy and there is more around, it seemed. Cocomos was a very good restaurant out there. It was more scenic there, I thought. The East has rougher waters and is more desilate but beautiful.

I'd recommend the Bougainvillea for families but not so much for couples like ourselves. They could use a nice jacuzzi and some good nightlife at the Bougainvillea. But overall, we had a wonderful trip and we can't wait to go back to Barbados.

Stayed: March 2007
5  Thank ktcardio
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We stayed at the Bougainvillea for only two nights, one on each side of a Windstar cruise this February. I thought I had done pretty extensive research on the net to find the appropriate hotel, but was pretty surprised by a couple of things. Under their FAQ section, they say that the Gap is a 10-15 min walk from the hotel. That is patently untrue. We are both in our late 40's, fit & healthy, and after walking one day for almost 20 min, in the direction of the Gap, we only made it as far as the gas station. (Later, when we went there by taxi (US$10 each way!!!) the DRIVE was almost 10-15 minutes!!! ) The website also said walking was safe, with basic precautions, but when we asked about it there, we were STRONGLY advised NOT to walk anywhere after dark - even as a couple. Also, because we were there on Sundays, both days (that's when all the cruise ships come/go) there was no complimentary shuttle either and the bus service was dismal!! So our choices on our two days in Barbados were to sit at the hotel and spend money at thier restaurants (a captive audience), or shell out huge sums of cash for taxi's everywhere. In the end we spent more money on taxi's than anything else on the entire island. The Lanterns breakfast was mediocre at best - and at premium prices. The evening meal at both restaurants were outrageous - but then so were most of the other "tourist" restaurants. I was truly shocked by the prices. We did try to walk to a couple of places to eat lunch . Finally ended up at a local bar for a hot dog & coke out on the main road. Then the next time when we walked for 20 minutes towards the Gap, to finally settle for a second hot dog & drink at the gas station at the circular.
Secondly, and granted this is minor, but they advertise a "happy hour" 2 for 1 drinks. We thought we'd kick back and at least enjoy some nice Bajan cocktails to pass some time, but the 2 for 1 is only applicable to the "Rum Punch" and well drinks - No mixed drinks (daiquiris, margarita's, etc) or anything with a liquour. So if you LOVE rum & cokes or rum punch, you're fine, anything else is full price! I didn't have a very "Happy" hour at the bar.
On the up side, since we were there on weekend days, there was no construction noise AT ALL! Also, the beach IS beautiful, the water gorgeous and the breezes balmy. We also had a VERY delayed flight getting us in at past midnight the first night, and the people behind the desk were great - holding our reservation - which I was worried they might not. They also held our bags for us on both stays and we had access to the hospitality room which was very handy since checkout was at 11 am, and our flight out wasn't until late afternoon. We were booked into the Deluxe Studio both times; the first was on a top floor, then on a second floor. The rooms and views were all good. The top floor view and breezes were the best, but there aren't any elevators, so it's a hike up the stairs. Still I'd ask for the higher floors if you can manage. All in all, I thought the place itself was well above average, and the people working there were great. They only got two stars from us because we really feel that we were mislead about access to restaurants & shopping which ended up costing us a fair amount of our spending money on taxi's when we could easily have booked something closer to St. Lawrence Gap - something I recommend if you don't plan on having a car there.

10  Thank Boulder_Travelcats
Beach View
#1 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Infinity on the Beach
Coconut Court Beach Hotel

Been to Bougainvillea Barbados? Share your experiences!