“Wonderful!!!”

Bougainvillea Beach Resort
A TripAdvisor Member
Maryland
Reviewed April 17, 2005

I am just returning from Bougainvillea, having been there from April 9-16, 2005. This was my second visit to Bougainvillea in less than two years and once again I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I frequent many caribbean islands, travelling four to five times per year, and Bougainvillea is one of my favorite resorts by far. Travelling alone, I felt completely safe, as the security crew is very visible. My one bedroom unit was very nice, roomy, and was thoroughly cleaned every day (even though I barely left anything out of order). I found all of the staff to be extremely friendly and accommodating!! This icluded the luggage handlers, front desk crew, security staff, housekeeping, watersports, waiters, bartenders, everyone!! The watersports crew, Ellis, Ricky, J.P., and Ricardo were the best!! They even served as babysitters, all being very good with children and toddlers. It was so refreshing to see how protected and entertained the youngsters were in their care. They looooove and protect the children. The beach peddlers were never too pushy. A simple no thank you was all it took. As stated in other reviews, many were quite entertaining and provided me with plenty of valuable island information. The luch cart out front serves the best food on the island. The beach is beautiful and large, and beach chairs and umbrellas are plentiful. I did visit other beaches with calmer water, but the resort beach was much nicer despite the temporamental waves. I will return again and again.

Stayed: April 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed March 29, 2005

Everthing about this resort was as advertised or better. The studio unit was spacious, with a large balcony looking out to sea. Some of the painted woodwork in kitchen and bath need to be upgraded but it was spotless and the daily maid service was a real bonus. Our unit was on the side by the lap pool and Lanterns by the Sea restaurant and nice beach - we stayed there most of the time rather than on the busier/noisier/ more kids side with the larger pool and swim up bar. Nice to have a choice.

We ate in most evenings but St. lawrence gap was an easy walk on the beach (harder to get back since advised not to return by beach). Champers is the best - had to taxi there. Belini's also great Italian and fish.

The resort had a free shuttle (3 times a day) to Bridgetown for shopping, a very reasonable shuttle to Oistin's on Friday night and a very helpful activities staff to arrange longer excursions. We oreder groceries on line from the supermarket (----) and they delivered before we arrived so it was all in the kitchen & even the fridge. Several grocery stores will shuttle you back for free.

Everyone we encountered was extremely polite, friendly (a pleasant 'good morning' from every single staff peerson we passed at Bougainvillea) and eager to help.

One day we took the local bus into Bridgetown then out to Bathsheba (dont miss the botanical gardens there!) - a very easy and cheap trip with lots of local color!

If you're interested, we have some great photos, especially of Bougainvillea. I can give you the link to my yahoo site.

P.S. There were a number of weddings while we were there - what a romantic spot!

32  Thank Braden
Reviewed March 24, 2005

My family and I just got back from 6 six days at the Resort. We have 2 kids, 12 and 7 years of age. We stayed in a penthouse, one bedroom suite which has a large bedroom upstairs and a living area with kitchen and pull-out couch downstairs as well as two full baths. Although more expensive than the deluxe one-bedroom I knew that there were only 4 such rooms on the property and knew the location of my room before I arrived, and was reasonably sure that it would be ready for us to check-in at our arrival time of around 3 pm. We had a great time and would return. This is not a Resort like the Sandy Lane and many others on the Island that are all inclusive, but it offered everything that we needed. The beach consists of beautiful sand and the water, while a little rough, had great waves for body surfing and we were in it every day (including my 7 year old with me). We found the staff to be gracious and helpful. We had only one meal at the Lantern preferring to eat cereal and yogurt for breakfast on our terrace, and for lunch enjoying local Bajan cooking from Leroy's Van. The Gap is a great area, but it is expensive. Have a meal or two at the Gap but as mentioned in other reviews there are local restaurants not on the Gap which are not as expensive, but are fine for a family meal. We rented a car for the week, (picked up and dropped off at the Bougainvillea--about $80/day) and at first we were nervous driving on the opposite side of the road. We went several times to the supermarket which has everything. Barbados is an interesting Island with many different seascapes, and well worth checking out. Make sure you have a good map! The roads are narrow and at night I cabbed it knowing that I would be having a few cocktails. We met several friendly families from the States, Canada, Greece, and Britain. Dollars are used freely on the Island, no need to exchange currency and take the exchange hit. The exchange is 2 Barbados dollars/US dollar. One evening we went to Bajan Roots and Rhythyms which got a lot of hype in the guide books. It was expensive, but did include transportation, liquour, and a meal. The entertainment was fine, and the service was passable. The meal is a Bajan buffet and frankly Leroy's out front had better food. It was probably too long a night for my kids and a waste for my 7 year old, but we did have a blast hanging out. I would encourage singles and young marrieds to go as well to Barbados, the GAP offers a hopping late night and we heard from a few people that Barbados has become a spring break destination (although we did not observe this first hand). You may want to check out other hotels if you are not into families. We sampled Chefette, the local fast food franchise and the food is actually quite good, try the Rotis, a kind of wrap served hot stuffed with chicken and potatoes. If you have a craving for a burger and fries, go to Bubba's, an American style sports bar where we caught some March Madness. The pools were a little small and we actually liked going over to the pool at the Sand Acres, the sister property. There are a lot of water sports which were busy all day long. We liked the size of the resort, everything is close, the pools, ocean etc. The gym was serviceable and I did notice that a trainer was quite busy with resort guests. The one thing we did not do was hire a cook that comes into your room and prepares a Bajan meal. One guest said that it was excellent and that there was a ton of food. As for the negative reviews, obviously one kind have a bad experience at even the finest hotels, but hey mon you have to roll with the punches on vacay and we had a blast.

• Stayed: July 2005
29  Thank DrWu1980
Reviewed March 22, 2005

We just returned from Barbados, stayed at Bougainvillea Resort with family and friends all 30 of us for our wedding. This is where it is at! Heather and Sandra the coord. were unbelievable. Organized and effecient, no detail left undone. there is no worry having a wedding there or staying there. the restaurant Lanterns great for breakfast and lunch, the Waters Edge Restaurant great for elegant dinners. the staff were polite absolutely NO attitude. They never forget your name and are ahead of you to assist in your needs whether it be making you dinner reservations or helping you decide on an activity. above my expectations in every category flowers, flowers for my hair, wedding cake, dinner etc. the beach is a nice size if you don't want to be bothered by vendors on the beach just wave them away, they are not pushy. enjoy yourself there plenty to do. thank you Bougainvillea for a unforgettable event in my life!
love,
Michelle

10  Thank barbadosfun
Reviewed March 20, 2005

My family and I just returned from a 10 day stay at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort. After many years of checking out potential vacation spots on this website, and getting some great advice, I felt it was only fair that I provide some information in return.
I have stayed in many resorts across different locations in the Caribbean and so I can confidently state that this resort is a good place to stay. While the resorts in the Caribbean may not be up to the standards of North American hotels, this one is one of the best resorts for the money.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom deluxe suite - the bed was very comfortable, the kitchen well equipped and modern (including granite countertops, etc.), and the living room/dining room spaceous enough for 4 people. The pull out couch that our kids slept on was a bit lumpy but we could have ordered a bed to be brought up to the room - we just did not bother. The balcony was large and had a lounge chair and table that seated 4. We stayed on the 4th floor which is a bit of a trek if you are not in the best shape but it was some days our only exercise so we made a game out of who was less out of breath by the time we got to the top! The resort was lush with tropical foliage and the beach had one of the best beaches I have been on. The waves were a bit rough, but my 7 year old enjoyed playing in them - he just did not venture out of our sight or in too deep. There was plenty of chairs and umbrellas to be had - and the hotel was 100% booked for March break. We did not need to get up at 6am to reserve chairs and there were plenty available at all times of the day.
We had the breakfast plan included in our package and that was a nice way to start the day - I did not have to worry about preparing breakfast. The breakfast buffet included bacon, eggs (omlettes, poached, scrambled), potatoes, beans, breads, fruit, cereal, etc. Certainly enough to choose from. The staff could have been quicker and more frequent with the coffee but everything is slower in the islands. I saw a couple of people bring the large insulated coffee cups to combat waiting for a refill. I suggest you try the truck that sits outside the resort for lunch. Leroy's Lunch truck offers a great choice of island cuisine, 4 people can eat for less than $15 US in total. There is a small convenience store a quick walk down the street from the resort where you can pick up drinks, beer, snacks, etc. to put in the fridge and save some money that way. I brought some snacks for the kids as well as microwave popcorn and that certainly kept eveyone happy. At night, we ate at The Gap which is a $7 US taxi ride away or you can walk there in 15 minutes. The quickest way to walk is to use the beach - walk to the end and cut in between 2 hotels and you are right at the far end of The Gap. Luigis is a great choice for Italian and that is also close by the hotel - once you cut through the beach walk straight up the road instead of turning left towards the Gap. There is also a bigger store on that street if you want a wider selection of food and drinks without having to take a taxi to the supermarket. All the restaurants on The Gap are great - I did not ever eat a bad meal but you pay for it - around $75 - $100 US for 4 people. I would rather pay more for a good meal than cheap out and end up with something unedible, or worse, have to cook on my vacation.
Another great feature of this hotel is the guest suites the hotel has in the basement that you can use when you check out earlier than your departure time. They have 2 spacious and clean shower rooms that are available so you can stay on the beach until the last moment. I have been at resorts that make you pay extra to keep your rooms for the day and this is the only way you can shower before leaving. Not necessary here.
Improvements in the resort entertainment and bar atmosphere would definitely improve this resort as after the sun goes down, the resort is completely dead. I would have liked to go and have a drink with my husband after we settled the kids down to bed but there was truly nothing to do unless you wanted to sit in a dark outside bar by yourself.
The kids club was good for the 1 day we put my son (7 years old) in but they do not promote it well enough and do not hold it if less than 3 kids sign up the day before. Several times we tried but not enough kids had signed up.
I was also disappointed I did not get an ocean view with my room and would have paid more at the time of booking the room to ensure I did get one. I overlooked the pool, which was nice - but it is was not the ocean.
These small complaints are not that bad - just ways the hotel could improve. I do agree that the ladies at the front desk should get some customer service training. This is probably one of the first hotels I would go back to again and Barbados is the only island we have returned to twice in the same year. It is a comfortable island and you can tell that the majority of Bajans do not live in horrendous poverty.
I would go back to the Bougainville again if we return to Barbados.

• Stayed: March 2005
24  Thank pamw_Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2005

Just returned yesterday from a week @ Bougainvillea. This resort and island exceeded our expectations in all respects. We're experienced Caribbean travelers, and this resort is one of the best 3-star values that we've seen. Great location and beach, professional staff, clean and well-cared for facility. We got around to see a few other resorts and locations, and we'll return to Bougainvillea for our next trip to Barbados. We were also very impressed with the island; the people that we met were generally very nice, which can be a problem on some of the islands.

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank Cobi00
A TripAdvisor Member
OLDHAM,LANCS
Reviewed March 5, 2005

We have just returned from our 'stay and cruise' with Ocean Village and our first week was spent at the fabulous location on Maxwell Beach.The majority of the staff at the Bouganvillea are friendly and helpful apart from some individuals in reception who were apparently untrained and offhand.However,the spacious accomodation and excellent location more than made up for this small quibble.The food in the waters edge restaurant takes a lot of beating although not cheap.Breakfast is taken in the open restaurant on the beach-at night the only sound we heard was the rolling of the waves.The lobster tail at Waters Edge was £20 and delicious!The only disadvantage is a lack of an inside bar to have a drink later on as the pool bar has to close to prevent disturbing guests.We would definitely return to this hotel as the location on Maxwell beach with it's white sand and lush vegetation gives it the edge on other similar hotels.One word of warning-do not venture too far out in the morning as the waves can be ferocious!

• Stayed: February 2005
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#24 of 51 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!