We were here in October of 2004 and had a wonderful experience! We were more than a little concerned after hearing various horror stories from people who had (like us) purchased discount packages. But there was no need for concern--we arrived to a lovely, open-air lobby overlooking the lushly landscaped pool area. We were promptly shown to our "studio" suite, which overlooked the pool as well as the brilliant turqoise water of the ocean. The whole suite was scattered with flowers, and each room has a private balcony/patio.
Each day, our room was cleaned to gleaming. Since our package came with daily buffet breakfast, we enjoyed a large buffet each day. Not just cereal and juice, but various local treats like fried plaintains and fish cakes as well as an omelette station.
Must do's on the island include a snorkeling cruise (ours was GREAT!--and there were only 6 of us total on board--very private and relaxing!) and a 4 X 4 Jeep tour. In fact, I would recommend taking the Jeep tour early in your vacation--it really gives you a great view of the island and all it has to offer! The East Side, Bathsheba, etc.; is not to be missed. And don't run out of film like we did!
If you're from the States like we are, and have been to caves around here, skip Harrison's Cave. It's boring and an utter waste of time. Another "must-miss"? The trip to Bridgetown. Hey, shops with crappy deals might be a great idea if you're from Iowa or something and have little access to jewelry and designer goods, but if you live in the city like we do; you're likely to just waste a day of your trip wishing you hadn't.
Don't expect any fabo meals, we were nonplussed by the food in general. We enjoyed a few places, but not really enough to recommend them. The best place we ate was a divey-looking "Inn" on the corner away from the hotel....and now I can't remember the name. But hey, who comes to the Caribbean for the food?!
Another suggestion--rent a car! We dropped loads of cash on cabs, and it's really unnecessary to do so. You're better off renting and not having to worry about being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no immediate way back.
Relax, have a great time, and get ready to drink lots of rum punch!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bougainvillea is the one that offers it all. Edged by two beautiful beaches, the resort, well known for its personal-touch and service, has 138 spacious suites which are just footsteps from the sand. Mediterranean style architecture surrounded by tropical gardens and the namesake Bougainvillea flowers create a tranquil setting, yet the location is merely minutes from south coast hotspots, making it an ideal base for exploring Barbados. Recommended for couples or families, the roomy suites all have ocean-facing balconies with breathtaking views. As a full service leisure resort, Bougainvillea has three swimming pools, a swim-up bar with daily happy hour, two beachfront restaurants, well-equipped fitness centre, luxurious Spa services, watersports, tennis court, Kids Club, Teen games room and outdoor play park. Entertainment is also offered several nights per week. Bougainvillea is a green hotel and has been awarded the Travelife GOLD award and the EarthCheck PLATINUM award for its commitment to the environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Bougainvillea Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bougainvillea Beach Hotel Christ Church
- Bougainvillea Barbados
- Hotel Bougainvillea Beach
- Bougainvillea Hotel Barbados
- Beach Bougainvillea Resort
- Bougainvillea Resort
- Bougainvillea Beach Resort Barbados/Christ Church Parish