“Gorgeous!”

Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Boston
“Gorgeous!”
Reviewed January 25, 2005

We were here in October of 2004 and had a wonderful experience! We were more than a little concerned after hearing various horror stories from people who had (like us) purchased discount packages. But there was no need for concern--we arrived to a lovely, open-air lobby overlooking the lushly landscaped pool area. We were promptly shown to our "studio" suite, which overlooked the pool as well as the brilliant turqoise water of the ocean. The whole suite was scattered with flowers, and each room has a private balcony/patio.
Each day, our room was cleaned to gleaming. Since our package came with daily buffet breakfast, we enjoyed a large buffet each day. Not just cereal and juice, but various local treats like fried plaintains and fish cakes as well as an omelette station.
Must do's on the island include a snorkeling cruise (ours was GREAT!--and there were only 6 of us total on board--very private and relaxing!) and a 4 X 4 Jeep tour. In fact, I would recommend taking the Jeep tour early in your vacation--it really gives you a great view of the island and all it has to offer! The East Side, Bathsheba, etc.; is not to be missed. And don't run out of film like we did!
If you're from the States like we are, and have been to caves around here, skip Harrison's Cave. It's boring and an utter waste of time. Another "must-miss"? The trip to Bridgetown. Hey, shops with crappy deals might be a great idea if you're from Iowa or something and have little access to jewelry and designer goods, but if you live in the city like we do; you're likely to just waste a day of your trip wishing you hadn't.
Don't expect any fabo meals, we were nonplussed by the food in general. We enjoyed a few places, but not really enough to recommend them. The best place we ate was a divey-looking "Inn" on the corner away from the hotel....and now I can't remember the name. But hey, who comes to the Caribbean for the food?!
Another suggestion--rent a car! We dropped loads of cash on cabs, and it's really unnecessary to do so. You're better off renting and not having to worry about being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no immediate way back.
Relax, have a great time, and get ready to drink lots of rum punch!

24 Thank redpanda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
New York City
Reviewed January 14, 2005

This is a 2 star property charging 4 star prices. When we arrived, our room (1 bedroom deluxe) was not ready and none of our requests (high floor, ocean view and 2 beds) were honored. The guy checking us in grinned mockingly when telling us we'd only have one bed.

We had ants in the kitchen and living room; a few times I noticed one on my plate or glass; the door handle in the bathroom was barely hanging on; you had to slam doors to close them securely; doors creaked like in an old house; furnishings mediocre; and worst of all the staff (other than the maids) acted like it was a huge imposition when asked for the smallest thing, including cashing travelers checks. They also hoard the towels like they are gold nuggets.

The watersports guys were lazy - I never got an umbrella one day I asked for one and when I asked him to bring us 3 chairs, even though we were still well within the hotel beach, we were told it was 'too far' and we'd have to carry them back ourselves. THe service and value for the $ was simply very poor here compared to similar properties I've stayed at.

Worst of all though was the CONSTANT HARASSMENT on the hotel beach not only by people selling things but also by guys who were simply trolling. They were rude, vulgar and hard to get rid of. I was told to '-----' and to 'get an ---- life' when I told them to leave us alone. Any single woman who was reasonably attractive was fair game. The hotel manager said many girls go off with them so they've come to expect you to say yes. Hotel security just stood there looking at these guys for the longest time before finally running them off but they were back again the next day.

ONe man was clearly drunk and was grabbing people by the arm on the beach trying to get $ for drawing their picture. When I told him to go away or I'd call security, he said 'I am security'. He was even bothering women who were walking with their husbands! If I wanted to put up with this BS I'd go back to Jamaica. The hotel's attitude is 'it's a public beach, we can't do anything'. nice

• Stayed January 2005
17 Thank trav226
Toronto
Reviewed January 9, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Bougainvillea for Christmas and New Years 2004. The hotel was nicer than we expected after reading some of the negative reviews.

However, when we first checked in, we were given a standard room even though we had booked a superior studio. We were switched to the correct room the next day. Our room was quite large and had a nice view of the pool, beach and ocean. We used the large balcony quite alot. The pool is small but the beach is beautiful! Lanterns by the Sea was okay. However, the service was not great.

The hotel is within walking distance to the Gap. We ate at Pisces and Bellini's. These were both just okay. The restaurant we liked alot was Opa! It's greek and it has a fabulous location right on the water. The food and wine are fabulous!

New Year's Eve was fun. The Gap area had a big street party. One cover charge gained you entrance to multiple nightclubs. It was a good time.

Probably will not be returning to Barbados, though. We found there wasn't as much to do as on other islands, such as St. Martin, Hawaii, etc.

• Stayed January 2005
8 Thank Vickie
AK
Reviewed January 9, 2005

Our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 teenagers) stayed here from Dec 27 2004 to January 7 2005. We had a 1 bedroom suite and a connecting studio.

We arrived at 3:30pm. At check in, we were told our rooms weren't ready yet, but would be soon. We went to Lanterns Restaurant to wait, have a bite to eat and drink. We didn't have to wait long for the rooms, 15 minutes.

Rooms were clean, with fresh Bougainvillea flowers placed throughout. I am pretty picky about hotel rooms, and I was not disappointed in the rooms. My husband and I had a king size bed, and our daughter slept on the pull out sofa bed. (Sofa beds are never comfortable! :( ) Our two boys slept in the adjoining studio room, which consisted of 1 queen bed and a pull out sofa bed. Nice sized rooms and balconies. I do think the hotel should upgrade to better linens and pillows.

Fully equiped kitchens in both rooms were nice. We took a taxi to a local market (about 10 minute ride and $10 US each way) to stock up on basics. When we ran low on supplies, there was a small market about 100 yards down the road for cereal soda beer etc. We ate our breakfasts and lunches in room most days. Also, the kids opted to make their own dinners most nights so that mom and dad could go out for nice dinners.

Bathrooms did not have any outlets for blowdryers or curling irons. We were on the 4th floor, and water pressure would be low. One night, there was hardly any water flowing, just a trickle. I called down to the front desk, and within about 30 minutes, water pressure was restored. I don't know what the problem was, but is was corrected.

Beach was nice. Our kids like to boogie board, and were disappointed that there weren't bigger waves. My husband and I were very happy with the beach. Only problem was that if you didn't go out to the beach before 7:00 am, there were no chairs available. My husband got up at 6:00am every day to grab 4 or 5 chairs and placing our towels and books on to reserve them. If you wanted a cabana (grass roofed shade hut), you had to get up even earlier, as these were taken up by 6:00am. Another problem was the lack of beach towels. Towels are available on the beach, but they never seemed to have any. Even though we checked several times throughout the day, we went 3 days without getting clean beach towels. To me, not having enough chairs and beach towels is a small expense that the hotel should be able to remedy pretty easily by ordering more of both.

We ate at Lanterns for dinner 1 time and lunch 3 times. We weren't impressed. Most nights we went to "The Gap" for dinner. McBrides, Bellinis, Luigis and Cafe Sol were all good restaraunts.

We didn't rent a car. We mostly used the local buses ($.75 US each way) They came about every 10 to 15 minutes. They cram about 14 people in the small mini van style buses. The larger city buses come less frequently and are also $.75 US each way.

We had a local taxi driver take us on a tour of the entire island. His name is Wayne and he normally is at the hotel every day and night. He was born and raised on the island. That was by far the best way to tour the island. He knew everything we wanted to know and see. We left at 10:00am and got back at 4:00pm We really felt that this was the best way to see the island. The cost for the 5 of us, including a tip, was $150 US.

The workout room was nice. The game room had a pingpong table, pool table and air hockey. Tokens were available to purchase at the front desk.

They had self service laundry available in the basement. 2 washers and 2 dryers were available to use with tokens purchased at the front desk.

I would recommend this hotel. The staff were quite friendly.

21 Thank fs5
Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Reviewed January 3, 2005

Our family of six arrived at the Bouganvillia on December 30 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and the Christmas holidays. Arriving after many hours traveling through busy airports in the U.S. it was a welcome respite from the frigid temperatures in Kansas City. The hotel front desk staff was friendly and got us checked into our rooms without too much trouble and we found a cold bottle of champaigne awaiting us upon our arrival as an anniversay gift.

The rooms were spacious and well appointed, although in need of some touch up attention here and there. The bathrooms could also use some attention as the tile grout was dirty in the corners and a few things needed minor repair. Also, to my wife's dismay, there was not an electrical outlet in the bathroom that would work with our U.S. appliances. It was a universal outlet that required a converter. The worst part about our rooms was the fact that the bed pillows were like sleeping on truck tires. We later found out that they had stuffed two worn out pillows into one case to make a new pillow.

The grounds and beach were well kept and very comfrotable although there were never enough beach chairs to go around. I was told that more chairs were being purchased.

The lanterns restaurant was a dissapointment in our view. The food was just passable and the service was poor, although we found this to be true at all but the very high end restaurants on the island. The restaurant is sorely in need of upgrading both in terms of quality and service. I would not recommend it. We did not use the pools, but they appeared to be clean and were vacuumed each morning between 6:00 am and 7:00.

One other irritation. There are NO ELEVATORS at the resort, so you must lug your heavy suitcases up one or more flights of stairs.

Overall, I would give the resort an AVERAGE rating. It is best suited for families with young children and pre-teen children. I would probably not go back simply for the fact that there are so many other resorts to choose from, and there are likely others that are better suited to a family like ours with adult children.

7 Thank Ed C
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2005

Anyone wondering if they should go....GO! My family of 5 (3 teenagers) stayed over Christmas week and it was wonderful. Rooms were terrific, beach fantastic, pool nice, Water's Edge Restaurant great, Lantern's Inn Breakfast so-so, but lunch and dinner very good. Gym was great if you like to work out. St. Lawrence Gap minutes away w/plenty of other dining options too. Staff was very friendly, housekeeping was on the case if we were in need of anything. I've been around the Caribbean and this place was one of the best I've been to.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2005

Above average to excellent would be my rating.

I am a seasoned traveller (to the Caribbean and around the world). I would consider myself a 4-star traveler (5 star being top luxury) We just returned from our trip to Barbados and the Bougainvillea Resort (December 23 2004-January 2 2005). My spouse, 2 year-old son and my parents (very experienced travelers with high expectations) had a wonderful time on the island and are very pleased with our choice of resort. Here are my notes:

1. Studios were an excellent choice, especially with a child. The rooms were spacious and had a kitchen with all amenities. We had a very ample balcony, overlooking the water.

2. The Sand Acres and the Bougainvillea are actually one resort now. We found the entire place large enough, without being overwhelming. The grounds are nicely landscaped and clean and the pools are pretty (and had some perfect areas for a toddler.) There is a pool bar and a bar at the (a bit more upscale) Water's Edge Restaurant, which opened @ 3 PM or so. Though there were many children around the resort, it still seemed very calm and restful! I'd say the Sand Acres section (where we were) is the quietest. There was a very convenient convience store right on the edge of the property, which had all sorts of things we needed/wanted. Larger grocery stores are a 10 minute drive away. The feeling of the resort was a very good mix of European and American (many West coast hotels we visited leaned more European or British.)

3. The Southern coast loacation was nice--near airport, St. Lawrence Gap, and Bridgetown. The water was "wavy", but very swimable. For kids, I'd recommend the nearby Accra Beach (most Eastern cove). We took day trips to the West Coast, with somewhat calmer waters, for snorkelling.

4. I'd recommend a car on Barbados--even an open-air moke, if someone is remotely comfortable driving on the left side. We were able to get out and about a lot.

5. Beach recommendations (snorkeling especially): Accra Beach (South), Paynes Bay (go through Tamarind Cove Hotel), Mullins Bay/Beach (both West). Crane Bay Beach is absolutely beautiful, but might be a tad rough.

6. Dining recommendations (we missed a lot, since we had every other night without the toddler) (we also like to dine on the water and in open air as much as possible): David's Place (fine dining--South), Champers (fine dining--South), The Restaurant at Southsea (impeccable everything--South), Opa! (midscale, Greek--South), Mannies Suga Suga (midscale--West), COcomos, midscale (Holetown, West) Sugar Reef at Accra Beach (midscale--South), Crane Hotel restaurant (midscale, great view--South/East) and Tamarind Cove Hotel pool area restaurant (nice--West), Gideons restaurant, next door to the Bougainvillea (totally local, but had great lobster and crab there). We also did The Ship Inn and the Cafe Sol in St. Lawrence Gap (South) when we had no choice on a holiday--were totally fine and fun! It seemed like there were A LOT of great restaurants on the island! Fast food: Off-beach stands at Accra or Sandy Beach (South), Chefette (anywhere on island), Just Grillin', Oisten's Fish Market on Friday or Saturday nights (local--South), We wanted to try Pizzaz, but couldn't find the Southern one.

We had a really nice trip! The weather was great and the island and resort were nice.

Problem and potential problem areas: We had problems with our refrigerator and air conditioner, but they were totally fixed in a day (even over the Christmas holiday!) To us, this is par for the course almost anywhere in the caribbean, under 5 star level. I would consider the island expensive, in general. The island is large enough to need a car (which we always get anyway) and the resort is small enough that one would want to find other places to eat and drink.

27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#23 of 51 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!