“A great spot”

Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Deni our travel agent is the best!
A truly fantastic trip from start to finish.

Here's what we loved:

1. When we landed and deplaned at gate 10, our next leg left at gate 12-truly
unbelievable!
2. The hotel- fantastic! Clean, spacious, a small kitchenette helped out
tremendously (especially with the $16us pot of coffee we had sent to the room on
the morning of our anniversary-yikes- off to the grocery store with us for
coffee, snacks and breakfast foods)
3. The pool was great- there were 3 and a kiddie pool. Pool bar- Andre, Roxanne,
Sonia and crazy Jose ( who looks like a black Erik Estrada- hilarious)
4. The waters edge restaurant was lovely, quiet with quiet musicians nightly (
although we thought it odd that it closed on Thurs. and Fri.) we went there only
once but it was good, we went to the bar on 3 other evenings and found it
relaxing.
5. Barbados the island-pretty, the people amazing! Charming, kind, pleasant! We
met a taxi driver on Wednesday and we hired him to drive us around the island,
and he proved to be a big part of some fantastic memories-we have some cards for
you as he showed us the entire island, took us to a quaint local place for a
great lunch- all in all 8 hours for $175! Fantastic!
6. Mostly British and Canadian tourists-some Germans ( a funny story about a
grumpy old German guy- more on that later). We loved not finding a ton of
Americans?
7.Cafe Luna at Little Arches Hotel-holy moly! This restaurant was recommended to
us by a couple we met the first night we were there( timeshare folks- quite a
bit of the hotel is timeshare- more on that later). This restaurant- in fact
this hotel- I am in love with. We went here for our anniversary- I will plan an
entire return trip to Barbados around this restaurant in fact! Food is divine,
service pretty high end, price for the quality of food excellent, and truly the
most romantic evening we have had in years- loved it! So much so we returned
again later in the week. The restaurant is on the roof of the Little Arches
hotel, so eclectic and charming! Google this- everyone going to Barbados should
go here.
8. Hunt's Garden- I am running out of words to describe this experience, an
enormous sunken tropical garden created by one man. Enchanting! We spent 2 hours
here and I was equal parts charmed by Anthony Hunt and overwhelmed by the amount
of work he had done- a very special place indeed. This was a recommendation from
a French chef who works in Toronto and his girlfriend( we returned the favor and
sent them to Cafe Luna which they loved) very symbiotic. They later got engaged
at the Cliff restaurant which charmed us! The Cliff is very high end and
breathtakingly expensive ($500 for 2)- we did not go to that and the chef told
us he though Cafe Luna to be better.
9. The beaches are gorgeous- although they had a storm 2 days prior and the
water was not safe for a good part of the week- we did get in later in the week-
just great!

What we didn't love:
1. The rain head shower head- I have thick hair and the hotel's water pressure
was not adequate for me to get soap out easily
2. The air conditioned did not work all that well-they control the temp between
16-24degrees Celsius.
3.the Lanterns restaurant- food quality for cost was inconsistent we had a
couple of meals that were over cooked. Very high prices. The beach Buffett
should be missed at all costs! Yuck!
4. The hotel has free wifi but they use routers that are scaled for home use so
it's a bit spotty- not really that if of a deal really just thought I'd mention
it.

Funny stories and interesting happenings:
1. The old German guy story- one morning I went to the beach to find a chair on
one side of a palapa with a towel on it and a pair of chairs on the other side
of it without a towel, so I proceeded to lay out my stuff. I was just about to
sit down when this old German guy comes running up from the beach yelling at me-
you are not there! We are here! It was so ridiculous that I just stared at him
and said what? He was getting all agitated and I was getting increasingly amused
so I said I don't understand- he just kept repeating the same you are not here,
we are here- I made him work for it a little bit longer and walked off
eventually but it was highly amusing.
2. A good part of the hotel is timeshared and we liked it so much we are looking
it to doing it. A lot of the folks we met were tine sharers and they were a
wealth of local info for us!

Did I mention that this is by far our favorite island ever? It is a long travel
day but we loved it.
I'll send along some pictures separately
Thanks again!
Lisa

6  Thank Lisa M

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Arrived and initial room had 2 beds.Spoke to Maggie from Reservations who was very understanding and after saying there was no other room.Rang back 10 mins later and upgraded us to an amazing room- huge bed, great sea views and loads of room with 2 balconies!!! The room was very clean and daily spruced up by a lady who remembered my name and said good morning every day-Judith.
We were a bit disappointed with the evening ambience which started at 6pm most nights and everyone was finished eating by 8-9pm and the place fell quiet. So if that's what you are wanting - look no further.
The beach was v clean, smallish but enough sun beds with fresh towels every day.
Ocean quite strong waves which is fun but not for frail people .Water sports reasonable priced and Cory was very pleasant and always came and chatted whilst putting your umbrella up.
Happy hour 3.30pm- 4.30pm very busy and good fun around pool bar then another happy hour at other bar. Jose great fun too.Food was ok on buffet night but we never ate in the evenings as it was very quiet. Afternoon food - burgers/ salads fries etc was reasonable priced and tasty.
Easy to walk into Ostins and Lawrence Gap for restaurants and fish fry. I thought there was a massive difference in price when it came to cabs/ buses. Buses very cheap and cabs London prices- often got hazzled by cab drivers asking you if you wanted one especially on the Gap.
Would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms over look the ocean but there are a few special rooms closer to the beach- 5 block.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sue H
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed here for ten days and it was really enjoyable. We had a one bedroom deluxe suite. The bedroom was spacious and the open plan kitchen, dining and living area along with a good sized balcony gave plenty of room to move around. The kitchen included a full cooker, microwave, kettle etc so if you wanted you easily have self catered. We are not big big breakfast eaters so just rustled up something in the room. We ate a couple of lunchtimes at Lanterns which was ok and we did not find it too expensive. We had dinner three times at Waters Edge which we found very good and very reasonable priced with excellent service and some very nice background entertainment.

The gardens, especially around the main swimming pool, with waterfalls and streams, are beautiful and very well maintained. The service in all areas was very good and friendly. The sea was a bit choppy when we first arrived and the red flags were out but we were quite happy to stay around the pool. It is also only a short walk along the beach to the bottom end of the gap so not too far out of the way. At nights we used taxis as the restaurants we visited were along in the Hastings area.

To us it was certainly the most attractive hotel in this area and if staying in the south on a future visit would find it very hard to go past this hotel.

We did give Leroys truck a visit with some nice food and also took the advice to try Southern Palms for Sunday lunch and after Crystal Waters which was an experience but great atmosphere but beware, the Rum Punch at CW is lethal!!!!

Overall a great place to stay and a great holiday.

4  Thank NeilAmorgos
Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband and I visited The Bougainvillea resort for 9 days in January. We had a lovely time. We stayed in a ground floor suite , one bedroom with small kitchen and a private patio. We could step out of our room and there was the pool and ocean. The resort is very clean and well maintained. The staff are friendly and accommodating. Any problems we had were dealt with quickly and efficiently. Not that we had many problems.! A quiet resort with lots of families, old and young. Everything (bar) closes at 10pm. Close to the St Lawrence Gap for evening activities. We felt safe everywhere in the resort. All the cabs we took from the resort were honest, safe drivers.
A few things I would do next time.... Visit a grocery store upon arrival. There is one close by. Buy some fruit . Brought my coffee from home they have a percolator in room not drip. Food was hit and miss at Lantern's restaurant. The buffet was great. Go to Pat's at Oisten's Friday fish fry.Oisten's is open other nights too. Bring some smaller bills for tipping. Shop in Best of Barbados after you go through airport security on the way home. I want to go back so bad! Don't forget to have a Roxanne made Piña Colada at the Bougainvillea.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs get a ground floor room. No elevator.
2  Thank Pips557
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Bougainville for ten days with our 6 month old daughter and couldn't ask for a better vacation.

The room was spacious, clean and they provided us with both a cot and a high chair so we could enjoy breakfast and lunch on our large balcony.

We ate at both restaurants, the food was good and we can really recommend eating there on Monday nights when they served a Caribbean BBQ.

The staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful and they always went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable.

The pool was nice and clean and they made great drinks in the pool bar. The beach was great, plenty of chairs and umbrellas and the guys working at the water sports were always helpful. The waves were pretty high, fun for us but can be difficult if you have young children.

If you are looking for a great and helpful taxi driver ask for Ricky who normally parks outside the hotel.

There were plenty of good restaurants in the Gap and in the Hastings area and a visit to Oistins fish market on Friday night is a must. All of these places are only 5-10 minutes away in a taxi and if you don't travel with really young children you can easily walk to the Gap.

Overall we truly enjoyed our stay at the Bougainville and can't wait to go back.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Milla27
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Nice resort on the south side of Barbados. Beach was beautiful. Hotel rooms are nice, clean and spacious although not very modern and probably could use a little bit of updating. Resort has more of a traditional island feel. I liked having a living room, small kitchenette and outdoor patio. We were on the ground floor just steps away from the main pool which I thought might be too noisy, but it actually worked out perfectly since we could just run back and forth from the room to the pool or beach through the front patio door. Grounds are nicely kept. The staff is overall pleasant and helpful. Service can be a bit slow in the restaurant, but then again, I am judging this by New York City standards, not island standards. I found the people of Barbados in general to be friendly, helpful and proud of their island. Food at the 2 restaurants was good (we only had breakfast and lunch there, not dinner), a little pricey but Barbados in general can be a little pricey. But very convenient to just grab breakfast or lunch right there. Good to note that there is a very small convenience shop just a few steps away from the hotel which was cheaper than the hotel gift shop for snacks and water, drinks, etc. Wish I had discovered this sooner as I only found in it on my third day there. The clientele of the hotel tends to be on the older side (mostly Brits and Canadians) )and it seems like a lot of them are return customers which says something about the resort. If you are looking for nice place to relax, enjoy the beach and venture out at night then this a very good option.

As I said, I really loved the beach here on the South side as compared to the beaches on the West side. The West side is more posh and has a better nightlife but the beach was much nicer on the South side in my opinion. There were plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas to go around (complimentary). Only thing lacking is that there is no waiter/waitress service on the beach, but the restarant and pool bar are literally steps away so not a big deal.

Again, the staff was very nice and accomodating. Would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to go to Barbados and stay on the South side. Good to note that the hotel is less than 10 minutes cab ride from St Lawrence Gap which is basically a road that is full of bars and restaurants. The Mexican restaurant at the top of the Gap is very good and usually lively. I wouldnt suggest walking there from the hotel, its best to take a taxi.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just returned from a week at the Bougainvillea. I had previously been to the island and stayed elsewhere, however I got a good price at the Bougainvillea during peak season so I stayed there this time. Overall I have no complaints.

While not in the luxury category, the Bougainvillea is a GREAT place to stay and a great value for a 4 star hotel (I booked for approx. $290 USD per night during peak season and that included the hotel tax). The entire hotel (rooms, beach, pool and hotel grounds) is extremely clean (and I'm a stickler for cleanliness). The rooms were spacious and equipped with a full kitchen. The balconies are spacious and provided a great ocean view. There were usually enough chairs by the pool and the beach. The staff was very friendly and accomodating.

I especially appreciated the pool bartender (Jose?) and the resident cab driver Wayne. They were extremely accomodating with providing information and transportation.

Check-in was quick and efficient as was check out. We booked a deluxe studio but were actually given a Junior Suite which I loved and if I stayed here again I would book the Junior Suite.

I did not like breakfast at Lantern's in (overpriced buffet without anything notable on it) but I loved the flying fish cutter and the macaroni pie offered on the lunch menu. It was excellent.

The beach is a little rough as to be expected on the south side of the island, so you may not want to stay there if you have small children or are not a strong swimmer. If you are looking for waves, then this is the beach for you.

Room Tip: I in a Junior Suite. It was spacious with a nice sized balcony and views of the ocean and pool. high...
4  Thank MNGPhila
Beach View
#1 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Coral Sands Beach Resort

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!