“Best of Barbados Deal”

Bougainvillea Beach Resort
PENNSYLVANIA
“Best of Barbados Deal”
Reviewed June 16, 2008

This is our 1st time in Barbados we took the "Best of Barbados" deal from LIberty Travel. We were extremely impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms and the food was superb!!!! little expensive though. This hotel is perfectly located we walked to the 2 local stores & bought food to snack & cook in our room. Our plane left after checkout time and they have a beautiful guest lounge to shower & get changed in until you leave. The people at this hotel were truely geniune and nice. I have been to 7 islands now & would go back here in a heartbeat. I was spoiled at this hotel so I am a littler nervous to try another hotel. The pictures you see on the web are exactly what it looks like there NO TRICKS!!!!

Stayed May 2008
6 Thank ANDIE13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
Preston Lancashire
Reviewed June 7, 2008

Everything started OK. Then the weather went cloudy and rainy for 9 days. Every time we opened the window we were blasted by noise from the waterfall (not soothing) and steel pan Tina Turner!

The sun came out for our wedding thank goodness and the photogropher was great. Room service that we were going to order after the wedding closed and because the wedding ran late we got no dinner!

We didn't get the room upgrade as mentioned in the wedding brochure and no just married balloons as others did.

But to the beach..... There is no life guard on duty and the bougainvillea have no intention of getting one. Despite there being an empty station 200 metres up the beach. The sea is dangerous and rough with a deadly under current. My son was nearly killed by the water sports attendant who drove his jet ski onto the beach right next my son in the sea. The water sports is not separated from swimmers.

I was paddling in the sea just up to my ankles in the water and a big wave knocked my son into me. I broke my leg, dislocated my knee and have damaged my ligaments and muscles. I passed out on the beach and my husband dragged me to safety. I nearly drowned there and then. The water sports man reported the accident and got me some ice. I went to the local clinic and was treated for my injuries. I had the worst trip in the world back as Virgin Atlantic didn't help me in any way and 7 weeks later I can't walk, have a leg brace, 2x physio per week and waiting for hydrotherapy. The Bougainvillea have writen to me blaming me for not paying attention to the Yellow warning flags and say I was swimming. I wasn't as I thought the sea was too rough.

Rockley Beach see the need for life guards and Flag Systems.

Personally I feel my wedding was ruined, I nearly drowned on my honeymoon and my son was nearly decapitated on my wedding day! I will never stay there again.

On the plus side the flowers are beautiful, the layou is attractive and if you enjoy constant noise you will love it.

Barbados is great, hire a car and enjoy driving around it.

• Liked — The flowers
  • Disliked — The dangerous beach with no life guard
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ASDFam
Bristol, UK
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Accessibility to local attractions and facilities is the biggest downside of this resort; we were unable to find a decently stocked supermarket within reasonable walking distance and even the resturants to the nearest side of St Lawrence Gap are a decent walk away. Having said that, the resort staff are happy to arrange taxi's or rental cars on request and we picked up a good deal on car rental which made things easier. There's also a gem of an Italian resturant nearby (Luigi's) serving good food at reasonable prices a short walk away.

For those who are happy to stay onsite, there are resturants (although pricey by local standards), a couple of swimming pools for adults and children, and a good sized beach. For anyone wanting to keep their calorie-intake in check, there's also a well equipped gym with decent equipment that's well maintained.

The Bougainvillea won't exactly blow you away but it does offer friendly, comfortable and well equipped 3* accomodation on the edge of one of Barbados' busiest coastlines. You'll also be sure to get warm, friendly & helpful hospitality.

• Liked — Good sized room & balcony
  • Disliked — Resturant
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Aikster
Reviewed May 28, 2008

My 21-year-old daughter and I stayed at Bougainvillea Beach Resort and loved it. We are from Minnesota, so the "winter beach vacation" is a big thing here, but I'd never taken one in my life and thought it was about time. My daughter eagerly agreed to accompany me on her spring break.

We loved the beach at the resort -- the water is definitely just as blue as in the pictures! There were always enough lounge chairs, but not always enough beach umbrellas, at least both were at no charge which is not always the case at beach resorts in the US. Pool was wonderful -- had a great time visiting with the staff at the swim-up bar.

Room was beautiful and very clean. Excellent housekeeping services -- I was embarrassed that I had to leave a pan soaking in the sink the day we left, because we were running late for the airport shuttle. My apologies! We didn't have many requests, but the ones we did have were taken care of promptly and with a smile. All the staff was very friendly and eager to help us.

The food was expensive, but this is the case all over the island. I wish the resort offered an all-inclusive plan -- we would definitely take advantage of it next time.

Thank you Bougainvillea for a wonderful vacation!

• Liked — The beautiful beach and room
  • Disliked — Not enough beach umbrellas, high charge for Internet use
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank mbschultz57
Auburn, WA
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We visited Barbados in April '08 and it was truly the "vacation of a lifetime" thanks to their incredible staff. Our stay at Bougainvillea was superb, and we'd like to thank a few of the staff that really stood out:
--- Kim (porter) for providing great service, his lively personality, interesting conversation, and a contagious smile
--- Anne (Lanterns by the Sea) for her kindness, helpfulness, and excellent service
--- Neil (bartender at Water's Edge) for his great conversation, excellent drinks, sharing stories of his trip to London, and all-around humor
--- Tracie and Rachel at La Tienda Boutique for their excellent suggestions about where to visit, restaurant recommendations, and helpfulness when we expressed an interest in moving to Barbados

All of the service at Bougainvillea was great, and our room was kept spotless, and the grounds were flawless! We'd like to thank everyone for making our visit so memorable... it was magical! We wholeheartedly recommend Bougainvillea as THE place to stay in Barbados! We give Bougainvillea our own 5-Star rating for service, friendliness, and cleanliness, and we will definitely be back!!

Steve & Eva Sutherland
Auburn, Washington, USA

• Liked — Friendliness, cleanliness, passion of staff to provide excellent service, great views
  • Disliked — There is nothing that we did not like about Bougainvillea!! We wouldn't change a thing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank dreamingofaruba
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2008

Our 7th visit here and we cannot believe how every year gets better!
The rooms have been re-furbished to higher standards once again. The rooms, grounds, pool and beach are spotless. Every area is cleaned and tidied daily. The staff are second to none and greet returning guests as friends! (many new guests commented also on the friendliness of staff). There is a free managers cocktail party weekly which management actually attend to mingle with guests. We thought we were talking to another holiday maker, telling them how we loved the place. It turned out that she WAS actually the MANAGER!
The hotel is on a quiet beach (Maxwell) a mile out of St Lawrence Gap (which can be easily walked along the beach). This enables you to go to many restaurants/ bars/cafes if you do not want to cater for yourself, or you want a lively night!
However the well equipped kitchens in the spacious rooms make it almost irristable not to shop at the larger supermarkets, cook a meal and eat on the balcony whilst watching the ocean! In the three weeks we stayed we only ate "out" on 7 occasions. The local fish market at Oistens is a must to buy your fresh fish. 8 tuna steaks- 4 swordfish steaks and flying fish (the local dish) for only $37 BDS (£10) FOR SIXTEEN MEALS!!! We can only thank the Boug for another brilliant holiday and say farewell until we return next April- Can't wait!!

• Liked — Very spacious suites with kitchens and dining areas
  • Disliked — Having to leave.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank griffpasty
London
Reviewed May 21, 2008

Stayed at the Bougainvillea at the beginning of March and had a wonderful stay. The room was nice and clean with a nice cool air condition (much needed) and uber frriendly staff. Got married in this hotel and everyone made us feel very special. Veronica, the wedding co-ordinator did everything right and ordered us beautiful flowers. The hair dresser was really good and the make up lady was superb. She made me feel wonderful and camouflaged my lobster skin so I looked tanned rather than red. Everything was just perfect and the local photographer also did a very good job - worth every cent!

We had a couple of guests stay at a neaby hotel and they were made welcome and allowed on the premises without paying extra and could borrow towels every day. Everyone was very forthcoming and made us feel special with fresh flowers in the room and "just married baloons", free upgrade etc.

I can also recomend the snorkeling trip. Left really early so we were the first and only ones to see the turtles - including George the Giant :-D Then we went to look at the wrecks ++ Had some nice lunch and a really good time. I can't remember the price, but it was not expensive and just "our party" on the trip.

Can be recomended

Still happily married (and now pregnant) bride :-D

• Liked — Nice and Friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — Could be nearer town
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#23 of 51 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!