Bougainvillea Barbados
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Barbados Beach Club(Christ Church Parish)
  • Pool
Sandals Royal Barbados(St. Lawrence Gap)
  • Breakfast included
Sandals Barbados(St. Lawrence Gap)
View Hotel
Sunbay Hotel(Christ Church Parish)
View Hotel
Melbourne Inn @ Car Rentals(Christ Church Parish)
View Hotel
Monteray Apartment Hotel(Christ Church Parish)
2,067 results
All reviewslanterns restaurantpool barsand acresthe gapdeluxe studiost lawrence gapmaxwell beachboogie boardsbeach resortfull kitchenthe activities deskhappy hoursouth coastself cateringa short taxi ridebeautiful beachsmall kitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I wanted a quiet weekend get-away (September 1-3, 2012) from the everyday routine and we chose Bougainvillea. We felt at home and welcomed by the staff throughout our stay. The beaches are fantastic and we totally enjoyed the entertainment.
The food at the restaurant was ok not fantastic. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, needing some TLC.

Kayla

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We spent 4 glorious weeks in August at Bougainvillea. The view from our 2 bedroom deluxe suite was fantastiic, it was simply devine waking up to that ocean view. It had a wonderful decked area where we had breakfast every morning and simply gazed at the ocean. The resident birds are a delight to watch diving to catch their breakfast. We chose a 2 bedroom suite as our children are teenagers. We are frequent travellers worldwide but always seems to gravitate to Barbados for our summer holidays. Bougainvillea being a firm favourite hotel of ours as the staff are just the best, always helpful and friendly. We are just amazed by their cheery disposition despite working really hard in the scorching caribbean sunshine.

Our suite was serviced daily, clean towels, beds made and housekeeping even washed our dishes for us. This suited me as there was nothing left for me to do!!

The children were certainly occupied with lots of activities and not a boring moment to be had. They played tennis over at the tennis courts, hung out some times in the games room with their friends which is so well equipped with various games to play, lots of water sports (big mabel being a firm favourite). and lots more.

In the evenings the hotel provided lots of free entertainment and a new addition this year was 'movie night' which involed a big outdoor screen with lots of pop corn. We also thoroughly enjoyed listening to Kimberley who sang every Saturday evening whilst we dined in Lanterns restaurant. The food at lanterns was great and the prices quite affordable. Other evenings when we wanted something different we went to the Gap which has lots of different cuisines, or sometimes Oistens Fish Fry which is next door to the fish market where fresh fish is landed daily.

Our children made lots of friends and they spent a lot of their time in the Sand acres pool and we felt so relaxed as we always knew where they were and they were certanly safe there. I'm quite surprised that the previous review thought the pool 'unsafe' as not one child mentioned getting a shock in that pool.

Like most places if you focus on minute details rather than the bigger picture you will always be disappointed in life.

Bougainvillea ,see you next year and a big thank you to al their staff for helping to create such cherished memories for our children.

Room Tip: depending on your needs the rooms around the pool bar are more lively but if your want tranquility choose a room by the lap pool (sand acres).
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 4 years ago for a week and had a great time. Although rustic, the building and grounds were charming. We decided to return this year and were shocked and saddened by the condition of the hotel. There were several health and safety concerns that led us to leave after only one-day.

Our room was fine, appearing both clean and well-maintained. A few small issues, such as the main door into the unit only latching with the deadbolt otherwise it would not shut; and a trick patio door lock that was difficult to lock and unlock. Overall, it was what we remembered and would have been acceptable. They did mess up our bed choice. We had asked for a king and they gave us two doubles, which created a bit of issue for sleeping four people. The fella who had taken our luggage up to our room (very nice young man) had brought up a trundle bed and pushed the two doubles together to make a singe wide bed had made sleeping arrangements passable, but by mid afternoon the following day, we had vacated the property due to upkeep and safety concerns, discussed below.

First of all, I thought many of the landscaped areas had less flora than our previous trip. Perhaps the flowers were not in bloom this time (we had previously visited in October); nevertheless the property seemed groomed less nice (less plants and shrubs?) and led to many unpleasant views. (see photos).

The next morning, we went swimming at the beach. When returning to the pool, the shower to clean the sand off your body was broken and not working. There was no out-of-order sign posted so my wife mentioned it to somebody. (The next day it was still broken). There was no other shower to clean the sand off your body (there are others for the feet only).

My son went swimming in the pool over on the Sand Acres side of the property. He came back a few minutes later saying he had been shocked by a light in the pool. He said he touched the area around the light and felt a “buzz”. Upon closer inspection (by me), there was a wire protruding (see photo) and displaced trim plate. We went upstairs, changed, and decided to leave the hotel. When my wife reported the incident, the staff responded “we have not had any other complaints”. When safety is a concern, the fact you have not received other complaints is not important to me.

I went looking for another hotel. After taking about ten steps off of the beach in front of the Bougainvillea, I was offered drugs by two different people. All beaches on Barbados are public which is fine, but there is nothing from preventing the bad element onto the beach in front of your hotel. Knowing how the Bougainvillea treats safety concerns, this reaffirmed the necessity to seek a location where the comfort and safety of its guests was a paramount goal. (I can say the fellows pushing drugs are nice people and will leave you alone if you tell them to - at least the ones I met - but I'm 6'1, 225, and a bit intimidating if I tell you to get lost).

There are many reviews from folks who come here year after year, and many of the reviews are from folks who have only experienced this hotel, and have grown fond of the comfort of returning to the same place, and reuniting with some long-time employees. However, I can tell you from the perspective of a frequent traveler to the Caribbean that this place is on the edge of becoming seedy. There are some nice employees, but that does not make a pleasant vacation. I would encourage you to read some other reviews and consider another hotel. I have attached a few other photos of the property around our room and you can judge for yourself. I hope they straighten things up here - it was once quite nice.

If my review has helped you, please indicate so. If not, please let me know if you have any questions I can address.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Jason G
BougainvilleaResort, Manager at Bougainvillea Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

We are sorry that that you were disappointed with your stay. However, I am happy to advise you that at this time all maintenance issues mentioned have been addressed.

We have a 2.5 acre property, which is directly next to the sea; this can present some maintenance challenges, which we work continuously to resolve. We are also committed to providing the best possible facilities for our guests and as such undertake improvements and upgrades on an ongoing basis. Since your stay, the pool issue which you brought to our attention has been resolved, a new grill has been installed for the use of our guests, the reshingling of the hotel’s roof will soon be completed (this incidentally is the cause of the discoloration in the footbath water. When it rains, the new shingles “bleed” their colour and this can run into some of the footbaths; however, they are cleaned several times each day).

We are currently resurfacing our main pool deck and completing upgrades to the final 20 of our 100 deluxe rooms. By the end of this September, the work should all be complete and we are confident that these changes will be well received.

I can assure you that the safety of our guests is and always has been paramount. We offer 24 hour security and successfully complete numerous health & safety audits each year. While we do not claim to always get it right, we are not complacent and continually strive to be offer the best that we can to our guests and we do hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you this to you on your next Barbados holiday.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here with my wife & 4 year old son in August 2012 (14th-21st). We stayed in a One bedroom suite which had loads of space & was very clean. The hotel itself is very clean & the staff very friendly & helpful. Shout out to - - who was very very helpful.
Happy hour the bar is very popular. We got very tipsy on their homemade rum punch in no time @ all!!!
I only have a few (valid) grumbles. The wi-fi is terrible! The only place it is decent is by the outdoor bar.
The TV cut out loads of times which was a constant source of irritation for my 4 year old son. "An engineer is coming" was the answer to any enquiry the entire week I was there.
The mattress on the pull out bed was terrible & you could feel every spring.
Lastly the in-house restaurant that was open (1was closed), had a very limited menu & is over priced.
You will be better off buying food from local street vendors. There are 2 vendors who stop outside the apartments every lunchtime (12-1.30pm). For $20 bajan dollars you will eat like a king!

Room Tip: All the rooms are quite spacious especially the 1 bed suites
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I recently returned from a 1st time trip to Barbados and selected the hotel based on reviews on trip advisor. The property is nice, on the beach, offers multiple pools and the staff is very friendly. The food at the restaurant as well as room service is good but no great. The menu is a bit limited on island food (at least in comparison to other hotels w/i the islands).

The rooms ( we had a 1 bedroom suite) was laid out well, with two balconies and a full kitchen. The only complaint is that the rooms are a bit dated, bathroom needed painting (as cracks/chips in paint); furniture is basic rattan with cushions. The sofa pulls out to bed as well. Floors are tiled throughout as is common in islands. The units are all walk ups and there are no elevators. Please note work crews were painting through out our stay - so the hotel is working on keeping the property up.

This property is not as close to activities as say Accra Resort which is closer to St Lawrence Gap and across from a small mall with a really great grill for lunch and dinner. Island Grille or the Grill (forgive memory lapse) makes a great grilled flying fish as well as jerk chicken plate. We looked around Accra as well and it appears to be new and better maintained than BBR. Also you will take cabs just about everywhere from BBR - not an easy walk to anywhere. Biggest complaint is that the hotel plays music continuously throughout common areas but all the music is American/British. Seriously not one bit of island music. Also note this property also serves as time share property so the general hotel feel is lacking.

Positives were the staff. The ladies at the activities desk won't steer you wrong. Front desk and housekeeping are very accommodating.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a recently up dated room. The building attached to main entry seemed to have better rooms. Stay on higher floors as the road noise can be a bit much even on higher floors (trucks going bay every morning, street lights shining in every night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family