“A Wonderful Beach Resort”

Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Long Island, New York
“A Wonderful Beach Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2007

Our family stayed at the resort from Dec 1 to 8th. Our daughter 5 years old just loved jumping the waves and swimming in all the pools all day long. I did alot of research on where to stay in Barbados and I am very glad that we stayed here. In some past Tripadvisor reviews, guests talked about the noise from the construction of the building next door, the building is finished and if any noise in the future would be from landscaping.

The resort is not a 5 star hotel, it is an above average 3 star quaint beach resort with alot to do. Other reviews are correct - the staff is warm and friendly and they did supply a bottle of champagne for my husband's 40th birthday. We stayed in a one bedroom suite on the ground floor near the Water's Edge restaurant which was great for getting to the beach/pool and back to our room during the day. I just loved the 2 balconies and we had breakfast and lunch every day on our balcony looking at the beautiful Carribean sea.

Another issue we read about was the rough waves - I found this to be untrue. The first 3 days the water was calm with gentle waves. As the week went on the waves did get bigger, which was great for boogie boarding and body surfing. If you are looking for a calm/flat waves this isn't the place for you. But if you want to jump some waves in the surf - this is the place for you.

We ate at all the hotspots in the St. Lawerence Gap which is not walking distance via the main roads - we took a taxi which cost $15 US roundtrip each evening. Our favorite places were: Pisces - great seafood, Champers - upscale restaurant with great food, Josefs - upscale/great food, The Restaurant at Southsea - very upscale/good food, Davids Place - upscale/over-rated and limited menu for kids. Each restaurant had a kids menu except David's Place.

For lunch don't forget to try Leroy's van for authentic Bajan food that parks in front of the hotel at 12:15 pm each day. All the locals eat it and it was delicious.

We did go food shopping at the big supermarket which had everything you could ever need. Also there is a small convenience store in between Bougainvillea and Barbados Beach Club (yellow building) which had everything you would need for snacks/beer/milk/coffee/etc... The drinking water in Barbados is great - no need to buy bottled water ever.

Our family would return to this resort and we have visited many resorts in the Carribean.

• Liked — Beach
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank stollfamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2007

This hotel is an intimate place with exceptional service. The rooms were kept in spotless conditions and we really enjoyed the beach and pools. One downside to our stay was that one of the restaurants on site was closed for maintenance. It is highly suggested to travel to local restaurants off site to enjoy the local flare of Bajan Cuisine. Overall an excellent stay and a place I would return.

• Liked — cleanliness of resort and the beach
  • Disliked — restaurants/ on site food
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank JAX1223
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2007

In November of 2007, I stayed at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort for six days and five nights. (My greatest complaint about my vacation was that it wasn't long enough. I could have stayed for at least a few more days very happily.) I am not normally the type of person who goes back to the same spot for a vacation. I like variety and finding new things to experience. This hotel may have changed my tune on that. I could see myself going back every year to this beautiful spot.

First of all, Barbados in general is a wonderful place to vacation. I was traveling by myself, and chose Barbados partly because of the travel guides I read that described it as being so safe and friendly. That was definitely my experience. I never felt unsafe. And when people asked me if I was lonely traveling by myself, I had to laugh. People from the island, people working at the hotel, even fellow guests were very friendly and made me feel like I was traveling with friends the whole time. One of the best things is that Bajans in general are culturally predisposed to taking no for an answer very politely. So unlike some touristy places where I've gone and been HOUNDED by people trying to sell me stuff or use their cabs, etc., here I was met by almost entirely laid-back people who might or might not offer me something, and always backed off the second I said, "No, thank you." That was quite a relief for a woman traveling alone. (And as for reviews talking about the frequent offers of drugs - I was approached once and MAY have been offered drugs, but it wasn't direct, so I can't be sure. And that was it. For the entire trip.)

The staff at this hotel is by far the friendliest I have ever experienced. By the second day I was there, they greeted me by name whenever they saw me, and went out of their way at all times to make sure I had a good trip. When a grocery order I had made prior to arrival was delayed, I received a bottle of champagne in my room with a card signed with an apology by the manager. And I wasn't even upset about the delay. The hotel itself is BEAUTIFUL. At first I was disappointed not to have a room right on the ocean. But when I got into my room, I found that I could see the ocean from my balcony, and hear it at night as well. And after finding out how gorgeous the beach was, I didn't bother to spend much time in my room trying to see the ocean anyway. If I wanted the ocean, I just went right to it.

The rooms have kitchens, and the hotel will arrange grocery delivery for you, or you can walk a mile down the beach to St. Lawrence Gap and get your own. I cooked about half of my meals in my room, and ate about half out. It was a good mix. And the kitchens are very nice, with just about everything you could need provided. St. Lawrence Gap also has some good restaurants, including a cute cafe called Bean and Bagel where I had a lovely breakfast one morning. I didn't have enough time to explore lots of restaurants elsewhere on the island, but after conversations with fellow hotel guests, I will make that a priority on my next visit. The hotel activities desk has menus for lots of restaurants. Every suggestion they made for me for visits or shopping or restaurants was right on, so I'd definitely use them as a resource.

The only thing I can say about the hotel that I would even consider negative is that the spa isn't the best place to spend one's time or money. If you have a need for a refreshed pedicure or manicure or hairstyle for a special event on the island, sure. But I can get spa services just as good (or better) for similar prices back home. I wish I'd spent that time on the beach, and the money on something else. But it was a pleasant experience. Just not the best way to spend time and money with the ocean 20 feet away.

For outside activities, I highly recommend going to Oistin's for the Friday night fish fry (eat at Uncle George's Fishnet Grill - WOW!) where you'll eat the freshest fish you've ever eaten for about 20 Barbados dollars ($10 US). There are also people there selling crafts/arts on tables. Take cash with you. I found beautiful jewelry, ceramic bowls, and drawings/paintings by a local artist. Much better shopping than the typical duty-free/tourist stuff you'll find in Bridgetown. I also highly recommend doing a snorkeling outing. I did the all-day trip with a company called Tiami, booked through the activities desk at the hotel. The cruise itself is 10-3, with two snorkeling stops and a third stop for lunch and a swim to the beach. It was a perfect, perfect day. I loved everything about it.

If you're looking for a good spot to take a relaxing vacation, I highly recommend this one. I chose it partly because the reviews I found here were almost without exception positive ones, unlike almost any other location I researched. I felt it only fair that I add my positive voice to the chorus.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank la_directora
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2007

We recently returned from a 12 day stay @ the Bougainvillea Beach Resort if Barbados. We were there to celebrate our 50th. wedding anniv. What a great place it is. Clean, friendly, and beautiful. Our room was full of flowers(the bougainvillea) when we arrived and the resort sent us a bottle of bubbly to help us celebrate. The food was tasty and had a great variety. The breakfast buffet was great. Most every evening there was entertainment while we dined. There are 2 great restaurants on site. Our room was kept spotless. Our room was poolside and we spent much of the day just lazing around. The ocean there is a beautiful shade of blue. We would recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Barbados, and hope to return.

• Liked — They were kept spotless
  • Disliked — nothing- we enjoyed it all
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MichiganStar
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2007

My husband and I spent an amazing week here. Upon arrival we told the front desk it was our anniversary and they sent a bottle of proseco and a card to our room. The room was perfect with a mini kitchen. The staff felt like friends. The facility is just lush with plants and flowers. I could not say enough about this experience. WE will return and hopefully soon.

• Liked — our room seemed to be the best one in the place with 2 porches
  • Disliked — tons of young kids at the pool area
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank beachpixie
Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

My self my husband and my daughter stayed at Bougainvillea beach resort september this year. I have to say what a wonderful place it was . Our one bedroom appartment was spacious clean and very comfortable. The views from our balconies were second to noneT he ammenites were very good, although i was on holiday i still managed to get four loads of washing done. The swimming pools were very clean and my 22 month old daughter insisted on going for a dip twice a day every day. the staff were very courteous and friendly, we will definately consider comng back again and we will definaely be recommend this resort to our fiends. Truly paradise.. Wendy, Barry & Jasmine. Coventry, England, UK.

• Liked — I liked its location and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Wenmill43
Ottawa Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

Bougainvillea Beach Resort was everything we expected and more Great room overlooking the pool and the ocean Staff excellent. Beach well not a long walk to the end due to break waters but the beach its self perfect. Very little construction next door infact unless you were loking for it I saw nothing and heard nothing. Take the breakfast plan lots of choice and served on the beach. Go out for dinner at the Gap lots of choices. You can walk to the Gap via the beach but I wouldn't at night, not that there is a problem but more to make sure there would not be one. Besides a taxi is 7US big deal. Take the Cat cruise from Bridgetown and see the turtles great way to spend a day. Rent a car and go to Bathseheba spectacular!!! As I said the hotel was great we had second floor overlooking the poolbar and beach Room clean and modern although fresh paint might be a thought Bathroom big enough to hold a party in. Kitchen..... yes a kitchen with hot plate fridge and sink dishes etc they even do your dishes (with in reason. If you want an experience ask the bell captain about the lunch truck that comes a round check out the food. We bought lunch and had enough for 2 days and it was great the first day and better as left overs (no kidding)... and very safe no worries here. If in doubt about this hotel don't be if you don't stay here you are probably missing one of the few quaint hotels left on the island as all the others seem to be being built onn the main street. Enjoy we did and we are fussy!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,384 reviews
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!