Barbados Beach Club
Ocean Spray Beach Apartments(Christ Church Parish)(Great Value!)
$95
$92
Ocean Two Resort & Residences(St. Lawrence Gap)(Great Value!)
$303
$182
Time Out Hotel(St. Lawrence Gap)(Great Value!)
$172
$134
Blue Orchids Beach Hotel(Christ Church Parish)(Great Value!)
$113
Coconut Court Beach Hotel(Hastings)(Great Value!)
$168
$162
Dover Beach Hotel(Dover)(Great Value!)
$95
$79
South Gap Hotel(St. Lawrence Gap)(Great Value!)
$131
Butterfly Beach Hotel(Maxwell)(Great Value!)
$126
$113
  • Pool
South Beach Hotel(Hastings)(Great Value!)
$293
$173
$307
Orbitz.com
All reviewsa la carte restaurantthree starlimbo dancersst lawrence gapthe gapsteel bandtwo double bedsbuffet stylegreat holidayfriday nightplenty of sunbedslaid backbit datedrestaurant staffwater sportsnightly entertainmentjet ski
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at the Barbados Beach Club on two occasions recently-once in November for a week and another week in January. Having read the reviews of the hotel, I want to share my experiences.

The hotel is NOT a five-star hotel, and does not claim to be.

What it is is a very well-maintained, well-staffed, moderately-priced ALL INCLUSIVE property on one of the nicest beaches on an island with great beaches. Having traveled to many US, Canadian, European and Asian hotels both on business and pleasure, my review is based on the fact that this property is an extremely good value, with a friendly, responsive staff in a great area.

First, check-in. My flight arrived late in the evening and the young man working at the front desk was either 1) sleepy or 2) untrained or both. His errors were minor, but annoying after a lengthy day of travel. For example, the resort requires a wrist band to identify guests' all-inclusive meal plan. Without the band, you don't eat! I realized when I got to my room that he had neglected to give me the band, Had I not been familiar with the hotel policy from a previous stay, I might have been terribly embarrassed at breakfast the next morning rather than returning to the desk and reminding him to give me the band.

Rooms: The rooms at the hotel are very spacious and well maintained, if a bit dated. There is free wireless internet in the rooms which I appreciated. Bathrooms are large. One one of my visits, I experienced a room where the hot water in the shower was not hot...not even warm. I could have (and probably should have) complained, but issues with a certain "relationship" meant that cold showers weren't exactly the worst idea in the world!

Food: Being all inclusive means that the average guest will take most if not all of their meals on property. DO NOT EXPECT GOURMET MEALS!! If you do, yes, you will be disappointed. BUT, if your mindset is that you will get very decent meals, with local specialties included most nights, you will find yourself in pretty good shape. Breakfasts tend to be repetitive, with not a great variety, but certainly beyond edible. Plus, there's always a cook station where you are able to order eggs the way you want, or omelettes, or any other grill item you desire. The main dining room serves buffet style, and on two nights during the week the upscale restaurant upstairs from the buffet is open. Warning: during peak travel periods, be sure to make a reservation at least the day before the sit-down restaurant nights or you will find yourself in the buffet line. I believe that, for the most part, the sit-down menu was comprised of items from the buffet with a few additions, but it was a nice change to dress up (business casual).

Beach: This is where the hotel really shines. There are no private beaches in Barbados, but the BBC beach is never over-crowded. This is due the fact that even though it is a public beach, it is used mostly by hotel guests. It is a lovely beach, gentle waves.

Entertainment: There is entertainment in the courtyard (where the bar is located) on most evenings during the winter season. The quality varied and perhaps my opinion was influenced by my rum punch consumption???

Fellow Guests: The majority of guests at BBC are there on airline packages originating in Europe. They range in age from mid-20s or so to seniors like me (57). Most that met and spoke with were return visitors, always a good sign.

Location: Maxwell Coast Road is 15 minutes from Grantley Adams International Airport. The hotel is a short walk/ride from two of the entertainment hotspots on the island - St. Lawrence Gap and the village of Oistins. Most of the nightlife on the island is centered in St. Lawrence Gap and this is 5 minutes by car/20 minute (safe!) walk from the hotel. The Gap, as it is known, is up and running every night of the week until the wee hours.

Oistins is a fishing village to the east of the property that comes alive on Friday nights. ANYONE call tell you about Friday night at Oistins. Fresh fish, lively entertainment...a good family night out.

Overall, I enjoy my stays at BBC and highly recommend it for the budget-minded traveler wanting a great getaway

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank PhillyBajan
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We arrived at BBC to a sweltering, drab and out of date reception area complete with mirrored ceiling. The receptionist was not particularly welcoming. Quickly noticed that our toilet didn't fill up and switch off correctly, so for three days it constantly ran keeping us awake at night as it sounded like a water fall. Reported it to reception the first morning and noticed the number of complaints etc in the book. Shocking. A man arrived Thursday to fix it, only for a leak to appear from the pipework. A man came back Friday but by when we left Monday it was still leaking all over the bathroom floor so had to use towels. During our stay we never achieved luke warm water let alone hot water in the sink. We had no hot water in the bath for 3 days so asked permission to get the key for the ladies changing room. Staff seemed disinterested in our cause but maybe because it happens so often, it's water off a duck's back to them. We also had to ask for a bath plug.

The food was repetitive and boring just like other reviews have stated. The only chicken was wings or legs. Why not breast? It was also of very average quality. Often cutlery was in short supply and desserts ran out. Why do guests have to find out ice-cream is available and there is a rose option of wine? There was also numerous birds flying around inside the restaurant.

People were smoking in areas designated as "No Smoking", but people still smoked there as the rule was not enforced. This is unpleasant for non-smoking guests.

Entertainment was poor. On Valentines day there was none at all. Another day a man slouched in a chair with a laptop on a table in front of him but all evening said nothing instead clicking away on his mobile phone. He looked so bored although many of the staff look miserable. Also felt managers intimidate staff as they appear to be spoken to if they speak to guests.

All inclusive basis, this hotel is not. The Pepsi cola is semi flat and doesn't taste right, there was only one cocktail list on the bar which has an extremely limited choice and when you eventually do manage to get served, the drinks are watered down. Also why can you not get wine at the bar? It's unfair on wine drinkers. The whole area needs refurbishing.

The swimming pool was cold and one of the under water light fittings fell out exposing wires. Also the toilets near the restaurant are nothing short of disgusting with mould, dirt and cracked cistern lid. Why cook food barbecue style in the restaurant when it smokes the area out and is very unpleasant? Many areas are dirty and unhygienic so need replacing.

When we asked the Virgin rep for help she said we were not one of her clients because although we travelled with Virgin, we booked through someone else. That's less than helpful.

The tennis court and obstacle golf course were locked and looked derelict and you had to get permission to use the fitness room.

We asked our agent for a move or flights home after the first night. Some guests walked out. There are many many issues about this hotel and if you bring matters to the attention of the manager etc, don't expect the problem to be resolved.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Deirdre G
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We returned last week from two weeks all-inclusive at Barbados Beach Hotel. After reading the negative reviews we didn't know what to expect! We needn't have worried, we had no problems. We arrived after a short (15 minute) transfer from the airport to a welcoming receptionist and were shown almost immediately to our 4th floor room. It was a good size with clean modern bathroom overlooking the main courtyard and pool, and had lovely views of the beach and sunset. The air con worked well and was very quiet, although we didn't actually use it, preferring to have the door open at night to listen to the surf.
The main restaurant is spacious with two sections and the food is delicious and plentiful. It seems to work on a weekly rotation. We loved the fresh fish and I tried to eat some every day. There is an alternative a la carte restaurant three days per week upstairs, which has to be booked. It's surprisingly stylish, although we were actually very happy with the main restaurant. The bar was staffed well and we didn't ever have to wait long for drinks. It would be nice to be able to get wine from the bar as I find rum cocktails too sweet, but it is only served in the evening with dinner.
The entertainment was OK. There was something going on every evening except Friday, presumably because that's Fish Fry night in nearby Oistins.
This hotel is on the south coast, so the prevailing winds make the sea rough. If you want calmer water you need to stay on the west coast. There are lots of sun beds and plenty of shade for those who want it. The beach is quite small. The attendant will put beds and parasols out as required. There hotel has no sail boats, just kayaks. We like walking, so we're pleased there's a short path over to Maxwell beach. Here you can walk about half a mile in front of the neighbouring hotels before the beach ends. At that point you need to go along back streets to get to Dover beach.
We found all the staff friendly and happy to chat even though they are busy.
If I had any complaints at all about BBC, and I am being picky here, it would be to have more fresh fruit at breakfast, (why are they serving tinned fruit in the Caribbean?). Some yogurt would be good too - I bought some in the local supermarket to eat at breakfast. There's no wine served at lunchtime, which I know would also be welcomed by many guests.

It's a short walk up to the main road and along to Oistins town. Or catch a bus. The Barbados bus service is amazing! Very frequent, fast, helpful, massively entertaining, and only sixty pence for any distance! Try getting the bus to Crane beach, reputedly one of the world's best beaches, and you'll have a real adventure.
Overall, this hotel is good value and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: East facing rooms get morning sun, but get the easterly wind (and a wet balcony when it rains!) So go for a west facing room, and a higher floor for better views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AnnTripper
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Just returned after another brilliant holiday. We were made so welcome AGAIN and had a restful and relaxing week. Staff were wonderful, especially Sandra and Crystal in the restaurant, Dale and Maurice behind the bar and Steve on the beach to mention a few, although everyone friendly and smiley. Rooms immaculate with clean towels every day and rooms have been renovated since our last stay. Beach has new sunbeds and umbrellas. Lovely walk each morning round bay to end of The Gap to work up an appetite for one of Crystal's omelettes - she is so quick and never a long wait for eggs!!! Food overall in the restaurants was varied and tasty with amazing flying fish - will miss that!
Can thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone - sea is a bit rough for children but there is a pool which is always clean so they would be happy there.
There have been quite a few new modern hotels built recently in Barbados but we love the charm of Barbados Beach Club which is typically Bajan.
One of our party had a birthday during our stay and staff in restaurant helped us celebrate by decorating table and supplying dessert dish which was a lovely touch.
Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank 561PatH2014
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband, myself and son and his girlfriend all really enjoyed our time at this hotel. We found the staff pleasant and helpful and very friendly. An absolutely brilliant week so much so we didn't want to come home. We are returning next year as my son is marrying his lovely girlfriend there and will be staying for 2 weeks, cant wait. The room was clean with regular towel change/cleaning from cheerful staff. The food I had no complaints about at all as I enjoy West Indian cuisine and we ate well. We heard some people complaining about the birds flying around the dining hall and although I can sort of understand their plight it didn't really bother us as it was only the odd one and can appreciate it must be hard to keep them out completely as part of the dining is outside, but the hotel have erected mesh to alleviate the "problem". Beautiful island, hotel on the beach,what more can you ask for. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family