“Relaxing Holiday”

Barbados Beach Club
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Have just returned from another great fortnight at Barbados Beach. Many improvements and many still ongoing. Sadly Sea Rocks had been destroyed in a fire. They have now reopened in the main hotel which was very nice but not the same. Seas Rocks is being rebuilt so hopefully we will visit it it next time.
One of the best improvements is the availability of umbrellas on the beach. As there was no shade this is great as it reduced the risk of sunburn and offered vital shade.
On the downside we had issues with the hot water, but the manager sorted this out for us, so what could of been a major issue turned out to be a minor inconvenience. They acted promptly and effectively.
One or two staff members on the front desk could do with lessons in customer care, but the majority were brilliant, they could not be more helpful!
We will be back next year, that's a testament to how much we enjoy the hotel, staff and people in Barbados
Hopefully when we return

Room Tip: Superior deluxe offer great views. Unless you don't mind the noise from the entertainment don...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank tobagons

Reviewed November 30, 2011

I agree with the last two reviews, my partner and I stayed here for two weeks, if you want 5 star at 3 star prices you will be disappointed staying here as this is a 3 star hotel the food and drink is 3 star standard, the location is fantastic and the staff are definatly not rude!. if you book this hotel expect 3 stars and you will have a great time. One love bajon style!! yeah man I'm out !!

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank Yeahmann
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've just come back from 10 days here with my mum, and wanted to share with you my thoughts on this one. I am not surprised it has such wide ranging reviews...my own views flip-flopped throughout our stay!

First of all, have the right expectations. Its 3 star - not 3 bordering on 4, or a bargain 4 priced as a 3 - its a 3 star. That said, there are some things I would have expected which are not there, and visa versa.

Here are my plus's:
1) food is great - really good value, nice variety, in fact, we didnt even bother with the sea rocks menu (served in the buffet restaurant), as the buffet worked for us for all nights apart from one - the Asian night.
2) the rooms are clean
3) the locations is excellent
4) the beach spot is lovely
5) the staff on the whole are lovely - welcoming, smiling, and chatty

So if you want to chill, be fed and watered, and have a good nights sleep, there is nothing wrong with this place, at this price.

On the negatives/things that were missing for me (and I shared these with the hotel too)
1) the place is just a bit....shabby. I could not see where the 6 weeks close down for refurb had gone - I know some rooms were being done when we were there, but the exterior and shared areas just look unloved. This is where setting your expectations comes in - it was just...disappointing...when we first arrived.
2) shared areas - the bar needs a good wash (smell of stale alcohol if you sat downwind was awful), the reception area is too dark and claustrophobic (take the ceiling out, thats all you need to do to brighten it up!), and the pool area is too crowded with 'stuff'
3) do something about the bathrooms in the room - lighting, taps, water supply all need looking at
4) get the weds night DJ in as resident - he was EXCELLENT
5) pull down the sea rocks restaurant asap - I do not know when this burnt down, but it was the first thing we saw from our balcony, and we overlooked it the whole holiday with no work being done to tear it down. I found that bizarre - who wants to look at a burnt out restaurant?
6) Dump the Asian night in the buffet - your chef did wonderful things with fish and chicken, and the ribs and steak were lovely too - stick to what you know, and dont do Asian!
7) Update your materials in the rooms - there is free internet around the pool, there is no free shuttle bus into Bridgetown.
8) Stop charging $2 per night for a safe - its cheap, petty, and unnecessary.

I really wanted to love this hotel, and hoped I had found a gem...I'm sorry there are more negatives than positives...I think it could be a gem, but it needs alot of TLC on it to get it there.

I booked it direct (not through a travel company) and have to say I was surprised to see Thomson Signature and Virgin boards up. However, I did look at the Virgin website, and it describes the hotel as it is - a value option for those who want all inclusive at a good price. Remember its value, and you should be fine.

Room Tip: Dont go for ground floor, poolside - it will be too noisy. Keep your eye mask from the flight and...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
15  Thank joanne72
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the BBC. This was our 16th visit and it never lets us down. Many of our friends and family have also visited over the past few years and all share the same opinions about this lovely, friendly and value- for- money place. But you need to manage your expectations. If you want luxury, then don't go there. Instead pay 3 x as much and go to the Hilton or another 5 * hotel.

What you get at BBC is very good food, clean and comfortable rooms, friendly and helpful staff and situated in a great location. If you want a place to have a real chill, this is it.

Yes we had a few problems with hot water at times, but try not to be too demanding and agressive with your issues. Treat the staff as you would wish for yourself to be treated and you will get a much better response to help you.

Over the years we have seen lots of changes and Felix and Mrs Broome continue to work very hard to make improvements, many following comments made by visitors.

Most of the staff working at the BBC have been there for many years and judging by their smiles and cheerful nature, they must love the place as much as we do!

See you again next year.

Room Tip: Ocean view room on a high level (4/5/6). Corner rooms (408/508/608) have an excellant view of the se...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
13  Thank Steve Yvonne H
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at the Barbados Beach Club from 2nd November for 2 weeks, firstly I cant agree with the negative reviews, in my opinion they are highly exaggerated. The cleanliness of the hotel was second to none and we found the staff warm friendly and very helpfull. The food was good (remember this is a 3 star hotel) you certainly wont go hungry, but dont expect caviar... duh...Drinks are good and served well, big thumbs up for Morrice and dont forget Dale. Mrs Sandra in the restaurant was lovely and looked after every guest warmly. The night manager Norman was always ready to help and Yes there were problems with the water, but they were working on it, and trying there best to resolve it.
This hotel is situated well for St Lawrence Gap area (only 5 mins by beach) short cut through the Almond shuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the other guest were the same opinion as our selfs but you do get the odd person who expects T Bone steak and has only paid for burgers.

All in all we had a good trip in my opinion the food , drink , accomodation, beachfront setting, were great value for money. A special thanks to all the staff and managment.

Room Tip: Ask for beach front room
30  Thank scotlass508
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We are staying in the Barbados Beach Club Hotel, checked in yesterday afternoon for 2 weeks and desperately trying to check out now. It's the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and Virgin should take it off their books to save their reputation. It is such a dive, very run down, yet they tell us it's just been re-furbed (don't believe a word of it). We're on the ground floor and have a patio door to the pool area, our door has several dents in the metal frame where people have jemmied it to beak in (surely that's an indication for you).

It's like something out of the dark ages when people had no idea what a nice hotel looks like, and as for the staff on reception?? We asked the way to St James' and was told the bus stops just outside - does it heck! It stops up the road, through a gap in the buildings and then turn left and it's down the road from there.

Never ever stay at this less than 1 star hotel. You've been warned.......

Room Tip: Just don't come here....
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We have just arrived back from a 11 nt stay at the Barbados Beach Club & this hotel doesn't pretend to be anything other than a 3 star!We arrived late afternoon & after a smooth check in we were shown straight to our room,which was nice & big with a queen size bed,it was simply decorated but clean.Our room had an ocean view which was lovely & it was nice waking up to the sound of the waves lapping against the rocks below!Maureen our maid came in everyday & cleaned the room & although we didn't need the towels changing everyday they were!The hotel had been closed for renovations which were still ongoing while we were there! The food was good with a variable choice every day,we have stayed in 4 & 5 star resorts & yes it wasn't up to those standards but I wouldn't agree with previous reviews saying the food was horrible!Also we found the staff to be very friendly & helpful & never rude!I will say that I heard some of the guests being very rude to the staff so if they didn't get a very good response it was down to them, it doesn't cost anything to have good manners!Don`t get me wrong there were guests who had problems with a lack of hot water or even water full stop (rooms 210 to 610)this was on going but they were trying to get it sorted!All in all we had great stay at this hotel & would recommend it to people!The only thing I will say is that the entertainment could have been better!I always give an honest review & would say if I didn't like something but I think some people that leave reviews on this site are rather harsh & yes its their opinion but there's no need for rudeness!

Room Tip: Try and get a ocean or garden view room!If you have a pool view room it could get a bit noisy with t...
7  Thank NessPeterborough_UK