“Fantastic hotel specially for families!!!”

Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We in room 208 at the moment!
We have a 2 rooms two TVs kitchen with everything in it! Swiming pools are clean and room service is excellent!! We have playground outside, mini golf, tennis court, 2 swimming pools one for 4 year old. Stuff is fantastic, very helpful land cleaning ladies are even better! Lovely hotel ,clean and beds are massive!

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Kasiastasia
There are newer reviews for Divi Southwinds Beach Resort

Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband & I stayed at Divi Southwinds from 5/2 - 5/7/14.

Let me start with the Good. The staff was fabulous! From Amanda at the front desk to the Pure Ocean staff: Anthony (who brought me limes from a friend's tree for my tea because the hotel didn't have any!!), Rochelle, Leisha and Charmaine who were the epitomy of professionalism, sweet and funny. Also, a chef (who's name I did not get) made me salt fish for breakfast twice. Why go to an island for a continental breakfast??!! She made my mornings!!

The Bad and the Ugly. The hotel is dirty. Our room was okay, nice kitchen with dishes and a stove, but, no pots or pans if I had wanted to cook. It seems that the cleaning staff only changes linens and towel. They have a beautiful wood bannister in the middle of the hotel that was so dusty someone signed their name on it. Not sure how the staff can park their cleaning wagons next to the bannister and not see that dust. We never saw anyone sweep or mop the corridor either. The lamp shades in the hall were crooked and looked like they could fall any minute and the elevators smelled horrible.

If they renovate the place to match friendliness/professionalism of the staff, I would go back in a heartbeat. But, for now, when I go back, I'll visit the Pure Ocean staff and Amanda but I won't stay there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cheryl r
Reviewed April 27, 2014

First off, let me start by saying that I am a Divi owner at Divi Golf villas in Aruba; my mother, sister and I took advantage of a promotional offer to stay at the Divi in Barbados (we thought it would be a fun girls trip and a departure from our twice, sometimes three annual trips to Aruba) and as I am writing this review - less than 24 hrs later- I am nestled cozily into the Hilton Barbados (excellent! Review to follow).

The Divi Barbados is disgraceful. Our room - 220 - was an abomination. We had to throw away over $150 worth of groceries purchased due to in-room bug infestation. The elevators did not work. The light fixtures were hanging by a thread (along with the Exit signs) in the hallways. The main pool was closed and we were told it would open "maybe Sunday". The grounds looked as though human life had not inhabited the property in a decade. We booked the Hilton the very same night we checked in and upon departure the next morning (a mere day after check-in and 6 days in advance of check out) were met with hostility and staunch attitudes by a staff that frankly has no business being in the service industry. Also, I used "staff" loosely as I hardly saw a single one tending to or attempting to maintain Divi Barbados.

Unfortunately we booked this hotel sight unseen but at the end of the day the deplorable conditions were just too much to want to "stick out".

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Tracie B
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Southwinds Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Having reviewed your commentary on your recent stay with us, we’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for notifying us of your observations. As a resort dedicated to providing superior customer service, we continually strive to best serve our customers during their stay with us at Divi Southwinds. When our efforts fail to meet expectations, it is important that the matter to be brought to our attention so that it can be corrected as soon as possible. And if you did this and our management team still let you down then I'm sorry for that.

Our efforts in regard to staff training have proven fruitful and we appreciate the accolades placed onto our staff and others on the property. Of course, there are those that require a bit more intensive training, and the observations made by you as well as our other guests and patrons will allow us to continue reinforcing the basic aspects of Customer Service to those who’re most in need.

Despite not being pleased with our resort and the way it treated you, we do hope that the remainder of your stay on island was pleasant enough and that you were able to return home with fond memories of your stay on Barbados.

Again my sincerest apologies,

Alvin Jemmott

Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was our first time staying at a hotel in Barbados and it was a great choice. We were looking to stay close to St. Lawrence Gap ( a popular area for night life great restaurants and the beautiful south cost of the island) at a reasonable cost and we found it at Southwinds. We paid $800.00 CD for 5 night for 3 people a steal on the island of Barbados. We were on the fourth floor with a large apartment style room with one bedroom ( king bed and a TV) a large kitchen/living room with a pull out couch and large TV. Our nice size balcony with two chairs looked onto the pool and towards the ocean. It was some what quite when we were there (April 10th to the 15th) about half of the rooms were full an as result none of the amenities on the property were over run with people. The Divi had a nice clean pool with a smaller one for the little ones as well as a swim up bar (not included in the price!!!). As well the hotel had a beautiful new restaurant on the ocean that was al light up at night and from what we heard got good reviews for its food but we did not eat there. From our room to the sand on he beach was a 4 minute walk and it was awesome!(we figure the walk saved us about 100.00 a night compared to the hotels right on the water) The water had waves but one could swim and the beach itself was not crowded. Beach loungers were available at no charge and if you wanted something to drink you are no more than 50 feet from the restaurant. We were able to cook some of our meals in the room because it was equipped with every thing you need (pots, pans plates, cutlery, microwave, stove and a fridge) but there are so many great places to eat on the "Gap" you may no want to cook. There are a lot of choices on where to stay in Barbados but for those of us who want value for money this property just might be the place for you. Would we go back to Southwinds, the answer is yes and for those of you who have never been to Barbados it would be a great first step to enjoying a piece of paradise!

Room Tip: try a room facing the pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank kclj
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed for one week, April 5-12. We were here on an RCI timeshare exchange. We stayed in the main building.
The property was kept clean and neat, but it is very dated and in need of painting and updated rooms. The first room to which we were assigned smelled like old water and mildew(423). The resort was not full and we were able to change rooms (414 which had a nice view of the pool); had it been full, we would most likely have been stuck in a smelly room for a week. The staff were all very nice and very helpful. The people at the front desk were wonderful and professional. The grounds and pools were kept very neat and clean; however, as with any old property, things break. They were working for 3 days on a broken water pipe and we were without water for over 3 hours one day. Just inconvenient. If you stay here on a time share exchange, you will get fresh towels and the room cleaned daily. If you stay here as a hotel guest, you will get service once during your stay (clean towels, the garbage emptied ONCE mid week.....yuk!) unless you want to pay for daily maid service. Why would anyone want to stay under those conditions? There are many other hotels in the area.
There is free wi-fi in each room, which was very nice. The bed was very comfortable, with plenty of pillows, blankets. The kitchen was complete: dishes, flat wear, pots and pans, full refrigerator, electric stove with oven, coffee maker and toaster.
The website is misleading. It states there is a fitness club and a beauty salon. The "fitness club" consists of 2 old treadmills, 2 old stationary bicycles, a bench, 2 mats and a new set of free weights. The "beauty salon" was so tacky looking, I would not have entered it. They offered massages for $120 US. The website lists 2 restaurants( there is only one) and although the food was good, the service was terrible. We had lunch there the first day and the lunch was tasty and presented nicely. We tried to go back one evening for dinner and were ignored and left after 10 minutes. This resort is on the St Lawrence Gap Main Road and there are 27 restaurants in the area, some very good, some ok, but they are all competing for your business, offering happy hour, 2 for one drinks, and specials on food. And they all do everything to make you feel welcome, so why try to eat at the resort hotel when you are treated shabby? A public bus stops right outside the front of the hotel and is convenient. Cabs are also available to take you anywhere on the island.
I have stayed in other Divi resorts and was expecting similar amenities. The location is good and you can get to other parts of the island easily. The resort was small, which I like and there was not a whole lot for kids to do ( I did not travel with kids so this was not an issue for me). The beach water was very rough (there were surfers in the water one day) so we stayed near the pool.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool have a nice view. The resort was pretty empty while we were here, so I am not...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Meg H
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was our very first trip to a sunshine destination. I stayed for a week in Ph9 with my boyfriend and our married friends and were pleasantly surprised by the open concept resort, very friendly staff, and convenience of amenities, activity areas, etc. The St. Lawrence Gap crossing through Divi, was a great place to escape to for drinks, food, nightlife, and light shopping. I recommend the Pureocean and Crave restaurants. The staff at Divi were fantastic, so fun and social - we danced with them, played beach volleyball with them, and learned some valuable advice, history of Barbados and lessons about their culture. Divi was a great place to be active (as we are all sports nuts) so we took advantage of the basketball, volleyball, tennis, and mini-putting, as well as wave jumping instead of lounging on the beach. The only complaints would be that our room location (facing the town of Christ Church, main road and residential area) was quite noisy (we slept with earplugs each night) due to the hilarious clown horns of the taxis, as well as the roosters, cock-doodle-doo-ing all morning and throughout the day. I found the room had a bit of an odour upon arriving and throughout our stay, I figure the carpets and upholstery could have used a good shampooing. Overall, it was a fantastic experience, and was exactly what I had hoped for. Recommended activities/tours to see: Best of Barbados tour (Harrison Caves, Wildlife Reserve, and Sea Turtle Swim at Carlisle Bay), Harbour Lights dinner show, Atlantis Submarine Dive, Oistin's Fish Fry on Friday night, and the Adventure Safari tour.

Room Tip: Recommend the penthouses as they are two bedroom, two bathroom and fully equipped with kitchens, ute...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Salena F
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This is a nice quiet resort, we have stayed here before but in the beach villas. We prefer the main block. Our only d

isappointment was the new restaurant on the beach, it did not seem to have a lot of choice, the service was poor we had to wait a long time for our meal to arrive after we ordered as it was my birthday I was quite upset at the service and wish we had gone somewhere else on The Gap.

Unfortunatrely we could only have one week at Divi through RCI and had to go to another resort which we hated. we will definitely go back to Divi and hope we can go for the 2 weeks next time when we book through RCI.

The staff are extremely friendly at Divi and any problems wetre soon fixed.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple