“Great time”

Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
“Great time”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Rented a Penthouse for our vacation and was very pleased. I enjoyed my stay at Divi and would definitely return. The rooms were clean, neat and beds were comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped but the electric burners on the stove would not stay flat to the surface. The only con is that housekeeping needs to be mindful of the mold build up around the rim of the tub and shower curtain. The day we got there we asked for the shower curtain to be replaced. It never happened. Days later we had to eventually ask a housekeeper to please scrub the shower curtain and tub area which she did. I encountered one rude maintenance employee but he didn't stop the show. The other staff members were very pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are the way to go
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank keepitreal01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in room 206. Nice room.
I tried the breakfast served in the dining area. The western omlette was ok except for this rubbery cheese used as one of the ingredients. Lots of food available for $40 Bds. The sausage and bacon were not good. Birds keep you company while you eat. Don't go to far or they think it is their turn to eat.

The Internet access is slow at .5 Mb per second down and .2 Mb per second up. That is glacially slow. They use this nomadix system that requires you to log in every time you turn on your device. Sometimes it was not available and you would have to call the front desk for them to call tech support.

Also there is no password recovery or reset.
Also they don't have BlueRay DVD Players.

I also had a broken taped up tv remote with old batteries in it.

Doing a load of laundry with cost $10 Bds.

The kitchen is well stocked with dishes and cutlery. There is an electric stove and small refrigerator. The air conditioning is noisy but keeps the room very cool as you may like.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank AriusKahn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is a very tired hotel which needs a serious/radical makeover. The women on Reception was surly and unhelpful -two of our party of 5 had booked direct with the hotel -despite having an email confirmation from hotel she refused to accept it and insisted on charging them both an extra US$96 -this was eventually refunded, but only after a discussion with the manager. The lifts didn't work , the room air-conditioning system very decrepit and noisy and the bath tap didn’t supply water at anything more than a trickle of tepid water! Our "welcome" free drink was served in plastic cups by a very surly barman who was clearly irritated to be disturbed from watching the TV. Breakfast was pitiful. In summary a hotel which needs urgent investment and renovation -it appears to be run for the benefit and convenience of staff rather than guests! In summary, awful service and very poor quality rooms and facilities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Southwinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Having reviewed your commentary on your recent stay with us, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for notifying us of your observations and disappointments. Customer service is the most important issue that we in the Hospitality Industry are faced with, and one that we try to tackle to be best of our ability each day. As a resort dedicated to providing superior customer service, we are continually striving to best serve our customers. When our efforts fail to meet expectations, it is important that the matter to be brought to our attention so that it can be corrected as soon as possible.

Despite not being pleased with our resort, we do hope that the remainder of your stay on the island was pleasant enough and that you’d consider returning to Barbados in the near future.

Yours truly,

Alvin Jemmott

Travelers are raving about these Christ Church Parish hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

just come back back from a lovely stay at divi, we were put on the first floor was alittle scared as i have small children ,they said if i felt that way tomorrow they would change for a ground floor when available . but we decided to stay as we like the room and the children were sensible .
We have been coming here for the last 3 years , we feel at home the children can go off to the onsite shop on their own to buy their sweets are somethings for me, feeling independant . I thank the lovely ladies in the shop who at the end of our three week stay brought the children a little good bye present so personal .
The rooms were always cleaned nicely and oh so nice to have the washing up done when i ve benn out ,i again thank the staff .
The children and i love the managers cocktail parties always happy and fun and the lovely stalls .Juliett who can organise anything for you we went on the jammimg for the first time and kids loved it .Wanda Harriet always smiling . I thank you Alvin to having such lovely staff that make my family feel at home .
Only one downer can we please have glasses and proper plates at the beach bar .xx

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank catherine263
North Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This place is so quite in September. To be fair, I have to review this place for it's pros and cons.
Pros:
1. The check in and check out were a breeze.
2. St. Lawrence main road is in front of the resort where you can catch a mini bus (white with brown stripes) to Tri-Mart and Big B's supermarket and Bridgetown at the side of the resort. Across the street, you can catch the mini bus to Oistins for the Friday night fish fry or just go there to eat Bajan food or buy seafood to cook. I preferred the mini buses since the locals were more helpful and drop you where you want to go. You pay the driver or conductor $1 (US) or $2 (Bajan dollar) each way. So make sure to carry with you lots of $1 when you go to Barbados.
3. The tap water is drinkable in the resort and throughout Barbados.
4. I made reservations through Julie at the Activities center for all my tours ( Island safari, Harbour Lights dinner show extravaganza) and the shuttle that goes to Bridgetown.
5. The shuttle charged $5/person round trip from the resort to Bridgetown and from Bridgetown to the resort. The shuttle gave us 3 hours shopping. They dropped us in front of a shopping center then picked us at the same place. It was cheaper to buy fruits and vegetables in Bridgetown. We bought a lot of tropical fruits that we cannot find in the US. The fruits ripened within 2 days in the dark. Its cheaper to buy souvenirs at the small shops around Bridgetown and at Woolworth Department store.
6. We had fun at the Harbour Lights Barbados dinner show extravaganza even winning the dance contest.
7. The Island Safari was a roller coater ride but we had a wonderful time seeing the stunning scenic of the island especially Bathsheba Beach.
8. We had an enjoyable time at the Oistins Friday Fish Fry eating Bajan food and danced at the huge stage to the delight of the other tourists and Bajans alike.
9. The Band at McBride thursday night at St. Lawrence Gap (street at the back of the resort) was great but it was already 11:30 pm when they started playing and had a break after an hour.
10. The beddings and bed (king size) were very comportable.
Cons:
1. The place was dead with no single activity at all at the week we were there.
2. There were only 5 guys that attended the welcome information session on Sunday. It was not specific enough where to buy groceries and where to swim at what beach.
3. It was rough to swim at the beach at the back of the resort. You have to go to Oistins to swim.
4. The 2 restaurants at the resort were expensive. We cooked for breakfast and ate outside or bought take out for lunch and dinner. Also, Harlequin and Pisces are expensive restaurants.
5. St. Lawrence Gap was dead during the day in September and even at night with very few tourists going to night clubs or eating at the restaurants.
6. Almost all week that the pool across the restaurant was closed.
7. I was charged already at check in which was returned the next day.
8. The floor at the living seemed not yet clean the day I checked in but improved dramatically days after that.
9. Children would probably get bored staying in this resort.
10. There was no non-stick pots and pans at the unit which made cleaning longer.
11. Not recommend to drive a car since one has to drive at the left hand of the road. The mini buses and buses were very convenient.
Overall, my wife and I had a wonderful time in Barbados.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jaime L
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great location, close to the beach, great staff.

The pool was available for us anytime, no crowds, great events. Close to the gap and public transportation. We lived on the beach most of the time and the food was reasonably priced and pretty good

Room Tip: Garden view is quieter
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed August 31, 2012

First let me start this review by stating that I completed 3 Customer Satisfaction Surveys, while still at the hotel, based on each room that we had during our 2 week visit and received an auto reply email stating that I would receive a response within 7 business days after my comments were reviewed by staff. I can tell you that a month later, I still have not received any response to my complaints. That pretty much sums up how Divi Management responds to all complaints.

I will also state that this was my third visit to Divi Southwinds. We’ve stayed there in June 2003 and July 2007 and had a lovely time, enjoying our stay, but something has happened over the years and the resort has gone downhill at an alarming pace.

So now, where do I begin with the very long list of complaints? I’ll start with the check in process.

We arrived early, at 1:30 p.m. knowing that we might have to wait for our room. I proceeded to check in asking for a “nicer, newly renovated room, if they had one”. My first clue that things were off to a bad start was the reply “we don’t renovate, we maintain”. Well, maintain doesn’t even come close to what they do. Maintaining would be a step up. After seeing our room, I went back to reception and asked to be moved. I was told that they were over booked and were sending guest to other hotels. I asked to be one of those guests to go to another hotel, and they said no, because I had a 2 week reservation with them, the other guest were only for a few days.

Room #110
Our “maintained” room on the ground level was only ready after 5:30 p.m. – check in is 4:00 p.m. It was very small compared to the other rooms that we had on the second floor. It was badly in need of maintenance. To begin with the air conditioner didn’t work – maintenance came to our room a total of 8 times in 3 days to fix the problem, to no avail. The ceiling fans had one speed, slow, so that didn’t help. Being on the ground floor, we couldn’t leave the patio door open, which didn’t have a screen in any event, so the mosquitoes would have come in. Much later that evening, when I went back to reception yet again, the shift had changed and Amanda, who was very nice, gave us her floor fan to use until they could “fix” the air conditioner. Amanda also said that she would move us as soon as another room became available. If not for her, we would have packed our bags and left to find another hotel. But it was Crop-Over and most hotels were fully booked and Amanda really tried hard to help us with all our complaints, and sent housekeeping and maintenance often over the course of our stay. Ingrid Bynoe is also an outstanding reception staff person who made our stay bearable.
The partial kitchenette (we were to have a full kitchen) was spare and mis-matched, missing many dishes, cutlery, cups and glasses. The very small mini –fridge had paint chipped and peeling away and the door was rusted completely along the bottom. It was also missing shelves/racks. The tiles in the kitchen and hallway were broken, chipped and gauged. Of the 4 wicker kitchen chairs had 2 of them were broken. The sofa bed cushions were torn and ripped, with holes. The mattress was so old and in bad shape that our daughters woke up with bruises on their sides and backs. The bathroom tub and tiles were stained with mold and mildew. The grout was disgusting, the shower curtain worse. The shower had only scalding hot or cold water, as did the bathroom and kitchen sink. The shower head had such a fine spray that could not be adjusted, that the stream of water actually stung and made showering unbearable.

Room #321
We finally were able to move on the 4th day to room #321. It was a nicer, larger room on the second floor overlooking the parking lot/gardens. However, upon opening the door, we were overwhelmed by heat and the smell of urine. I figured that by turning on the air-conditioner, the smell would go away, while moving our belongings from room #110 to room #321. Once we completed the move, my daughter found herself locked in the bathroom, unable to open the door. I thought that was a “fluke” but then found myself locked inside as well. The door handle did not engage from inside the bathroom, it had nothing to do with locking it or not. The handle just did not move, so once inside there was no way to open the door again. Needless to say, with the overwhelming smell of urine and the fact that we could not open the bathroom door, we asked to be moved yet again.

Room #319
Finally a room that was passable. It was not without its problems too….a toilet that would back up upon ever second use and maintenance that could only come to unblock it between 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. So we became well acquainted with the staff toilet on the third floor.

Grounds, pools, gym, convenience store, Internet/WI-FI, mini-golf, restaurants and beach

The grounds are well kept. The pools are alright. The gym is old and run down. The machines are rusted with 5 basic types cardio machines and some free weights and bench. There are holes in the walls and cobwebs in the corners. It does have a T.V., water cooler and air conditioning. The convenience store has just about everything that you need and want at reasonable prices. There is no WI-FI and internet is expensive at $11.00+ USD a day. The mini-put is $5.00 USD a round. There are two restaurants, one beside the pool and one by the beach. The wait staff are nice and the food is good. The “Manager’s Party” is held at the restaurant near the pools. Not that we even saw or met him at the party. The beach is a short walk from the hotel, across the road that runs through the “Gap”. There are lounge chairs there and showers. Being in St. Lawrence Gap is mainly why we chose this resort. It’s close to the beach, bars and restaurants and a short bus ride to Bridgetown.

All in all, if the property owners were to invest in the renovating of the property, Divi Southwinds could one day become the great resort it used to be. I spoke with a Timeshare owner, since 1981, who said that it used to be a 5 star resort back in the day. Shame that it has been allowed to get so run down. I told the staff that they are the ones who are keeping it going. If not for them, not even the location would compensate for the shape of some of the rooms.

Room Tip: 2nd or higher rooms, facing the pool if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family