“Location location location”
Review of Blue Horizon

Blue Horizon
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel itself is average -- nothing special. It's old and basic. The restaurant is not great -- free breakfast consists of cereal, bananas, apples, tea/ coffee, juice, toast and jelly or butter. Nothing special. Lunch is strange -- and because the restaurant is almost always empty after breakfast not many items on the menu are available. Dinner is better -- the main items (such as the fish or steak are good) but the side items (rice, veggies, etc.) are bland and obviously reheated.
The ladies in the restaurant are generally not very friendly -- except for one younger lady, slender, with glasses and her hair in a bun -- she doesn't wear the uniform so she must be a manager. She's nice. At the front desk -- Joanne is the best -- friendly and helpful.
Housekeeping was okay, except a pair of gold earring disappeared from my room -- not sure if it was housekeeping or maintenance as this was the day my toilet backed up and had to be unclogged.
I would recommend this hotel for it's location -- a great beach across the street, a short bus ride from Lawrence Gap, many nice restaurants within walking distance -- try the Grill restaurant (in front of the 99 cent story which has everything you need). In the same complex there is a very nice Best of Barbados gift shop. Just a little further down is the Bistro Monet -- with the best pasta and next to it Naru -- with amazing sushi, sashimi and also grilled fish.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sranansma

Reviewed May 20, 2013

OK this is not the ACRA luxury hotel across the street but...you are also not paying the room rates.
If you are in Barbados to spend time on the beach...Blue Horizon is a great location. Also you have great access to restaurants and grocery stores if you want to save a few bucks on lunches. The blue horizon offers breakfast which includes cereal, fruit, coffee, juice and toast. Just across the street to the far right you will find the boardwalk on the beach which leads to some really nice restaurants but is also accessible for jogging or walking the baby stroller!

The Blue Horizon has large bathrooms and clean rooms with cable TV and good internet service. Wonderful service at the desk!

Room Tip: Try to choose something away from the main street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank George S
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Well partly. We were there for 6 nights. I think that everything (except the reception area which is very nice) needs upgrading. The Staff are very pleasant and helpful but there is an obvious disconnect between the front desk and the housekeeping staff. My husband travelled to attend meetings and the plan was that we would turn the trip into a mini vacation so we asked for 2 room keys. At first we were told that there was not another one that we could get but then while I was out with one key he was given another one which he returned to the front desk. Well I arrived back at the hotel in the afternoon to find the room still not cleaned. Soon after housekeeping knocked and said that they were unable to clean as there were only 2 keys and we had them both. So I gave her my key. My husband returned some time later when I learned that he had in fact turned in his key to the front desk before he left the building so they had a key all along and we ended up with no keys! Talk about dis-connect!

The Safe in the room was so old fashioned that I did not have a clue how to operate it and it was a nightmare for 2 elderly persons with joint problems as it was located at the bottom of the cupboard. I am accustomed to the safes being installed on a shelf so that you can stand up and access it. Maybe when it was being installed a Midget installed it?!! I have never seen a safe on the floor before! Our room also seemed to be overlooking some sort of motor the noise of which was irritating to say the least and the air conditioner was really very basic - we could not do anything with it to make it less cold. To make matters worse we had opted to stay in a Superior Room which we thought would have been nicer than a Standard Room; it certainly cost more!
Actually I think that they have improved on the Continental Breakfast offered. I do not remember that fruit was offered previously but it forms part of the free breakfast now; only thing it was always the same. We did not have breakfast there every day as we like to get our own so we prepared in our room sometimes. Also we never ate lunch and ate dinner only once when we indulged with grilled Mahi Mahi,French fries and a Salad. Bajuns are known for their cooking of fish and the Blue Horizon's chef is no different so we enjoyed the meal.

The Owners/Operators need to pay attention to the little things that matter; that make all the difference between a pleasant holiday and one that is not so pleasant to say the least!

We have stayed there a few times before and can see the deterioration. I do not think that we will be staying there again and will not be recommending it to our friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook some sort of motor which is constantly running.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank ambrisgirl
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This property is a very basic hotel. Rooms are average size with all the basic services. They should seriously consider getting rid of the big mold stains in doors and roof, especially in the bathroom. The front door needs an additional lock inside for security. They should make sure the safety deposit boxes in the rooms work. When I asked in the front desk about the box in my room they told me they were not sure if it works. Regarding food, the room normally includes a continental breakfast that may let you wishing for more. It consists of cereal, a couple of fruit, bread and coffee (or tea). In the other extreme, the full breakfast is a feast of calories and fat: two eggs, bacon, sausages, bread and coffee (or tea). I am a coffee fan and I have learned to carry my own when I viist the Caribbean (with the exception of Jamaica) so I did not taste the hotel coffeee. Fortunately within a five minute walk there is a Cafe Italia and there you can get you java, in case you are a coffee fan like me. The lunch we had during our meetings was acceptable, mainly Caribbean food which is fine with me. I did not take a look at the regular menu. For dinners I went elsewhere. The rooms include a small fridge that might be useful if you want to keep some cold drinks handy. Close to the Cafe Italia there is a convenience store in case you need to buy some food, drinks, etc. The hotel staff was average in their service, a coupld of ladies at the front desk were kind and answered all the questions I had. The hotel pool is not a big deal. It is a place to get wet and perhaps refresh the body a little bit. The wifi internet and the ac worked well, this is important. Finally, having a nice beach across the street was very convenient.

Room Tip: If you want to see the ocean, book a room in the third or fourth floors.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank TucanTico
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This place is a dump, pure and simple. The rooms are noisy and dirty. The staff is not friendly. The location sucks. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and we received undoubtedly the worst service we've ever had anywhere. This hotel will ruin your vacation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank worldbum1
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We just spent three weeks at the Blue Horizon hotel in Barbados. We have stayed in this hotel several times before and we find it great for us. We always have a nice room and great service from the very friendly staff. It's like our second home!

It is a good basic hotel in an ideal location. It is close to everything and just across the road from Accra beach, one of the best beaches in Barbados, It is within walking distance to the boardwalk and to some very good, reasonably priced restaurants such as Bistro Monet, Mojos & Shakers. Also close by are the more expensive, but excellent, restaurants Tapas & Champers.

A good hotel choice if location is important and you want save some money as Barbados is expensive

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank DougMontreal
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Feb 26-28, 2013, we stayed at the The Blue Horizon and it's in a good location. Chefette's is two doors down. The lobby is neat and clean and they provide coffee, tea and water 24/7. The staff are friendly. The breakfast service is slow so you're going to have to be patient. The rooms are dated. The air conditioner work great and I was happy about that one. In the shower, we had warm water the first night, cold water in the morning and the second night we finally got to take a hot shower. I find this is the most frustrating thing about going to the Caribbean, trying to find hot water to take a shower and providing wash cloths. I don't understand why in the Caribbean they don't provide washcloths. Do they expect you to bring your own, or wash out your socks and use them for a wash cloth? The alarm clock didn't work in the room and the woman at the front desk said she would schedule a wake up call. We asked for a 4:30am wake up call to catch a flight and didn't get it. Luckily the cell phone alarm went off. I called the front desk to assure we had our taxi at 5:30am and said we didn't get our wake up call. The man at the front desk sounded like he was just waking up, sighed and said well I guess I miss that one. Overall, I'd say the place is decent but look for something better for a longer stay.

Room Tip: When making your reservations ask in the remarks column the type of room you want. We had room 104...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family