“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Blue Horizon

Blue Horizon
Reviewed January 24, 2012

After reading reviews on the Blue Horizon Hotel, I certainly wasn't looking forward to going there. It was a business trip however, and this was the hotel we had been checked into. I was pleasantly surprised when I got there. My room was brightly painted, clean well-equipped. There was no problem with my air conditioner or plumbing as some reviewers had complained about. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful. The only thing was the continental breakfast which really didn't encourage one to wake up early for. However my room was equipped with all that I needed to prepare a proper breakfast for myself. Management may want to consider giving one the option of choosing to have the breakfast, instead of making it a compulsory cost on the price of the room. The hotel is strategically situated: close to the airport, shops, restaurants and of course the beach. You can even catch a bus right outside the hotel.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor. It was very quiet and quite nicely painted (lovely Caribbean colour...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank lingua_12

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Stayed here for our honeymoon and first visit to the Carribean. Must say we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel and it's staff!

Upon arrival we were given a room right above the pool/restaurant area, which was okay, but since we were on our honeymoon we asked the receptionist if there was another room available, with a nicer view. We were told that we could move into one of the rooms in the building to the right of the reception, overlooking the beach, next morning. This really made our holiday!

The restaurant/breakfast was simple, but okay, I really liked the banana bread.and pan cakes. If you want a fantastic meal you should try Champers, across the road.

We loved the short distance to the beach, the friendly staff and the local area, in general. Would definitley go back!

Room Tip: The top floors in the section to the right of the reception is the best location for a beach view, a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mikke_LFC
Reviewed January 5, 2012

OK...the location of the hotel is good...right across the street from the beach. Can't really complain about that.

The hotel itself is on prime real estate, but is long past its prime. The hotel accommodations are barely adequate....plainly furnished rooms, outdated bathroom with rusty shower, old linens, towels, and bed spread. They provide a 19" box TV from the 80's with poor reception from DirecTV (with a message along the bottom of CNN informing us that there bill is past due), internet for $10/day that has a hard time staying connected (mutliple issues with this), and a continental breakfast that is miniscule (2 slices of toast, 1 piece of some kind of sweet bread, 1 cup of coffee, and a small glass of some kind of awful tasting orange juice). If you want to add to the breakfast, such as eggs and bacon, that will be an extra $28 (BBD...$14US),

The staff seems OK. They are not overly friendly or appreciative that you are staying in their hotel, but not necessarily rude. In fact, the people as a whole are not nearly as friendly as other Caribbean Islands that are more dependent on tourism. The one highlight is that the staff does a nice job of cleaning the room (with what they have to work with).

On a good note: The AC worked fine and hot water does eventually appear (does take a while....5 min or so).

One other note: This property is next door to a fast food restaurant with an extremely loud drive-up speaker...can easily be heard in the room until midnight or so.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Chefette fast food restaurant for a quieter stay. The food isn't bad though...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Jamie B
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Blue Horizon is a budget hotel, so you will get exactly that. The price is still a bit high for a budget hotel though, but since occupancy is relatively high, they are "not worried". Wireless Internet access is a "hit or miss", it is anyone's guess if it will be working when you turn on your laptop or mobile device. Staff in the Dining room needs a bit of customer service training, since it seems as though you must give a big tip to get a smile! Sorry, but is the truth.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SAM62
Reviewed December 22, 2011

If you believe location, location, location and need to watch those dollars then this is the place for you. First the positives - located across the road from Rockley Beach - great bathing, beach side shops, taxi stand, shops (Quayside Plaza), restaurants and the fabulous board walk. The hotel does not have a gym but you can swim, as well as walk or run along the board walk by the light of the beautiful sunset. My colleagues and I found this to be a great way to end our day and get some exercise in the process. Additionally we got to check out and decide which restaurant to have dinner at that night - there are quite a few along the strip. Very near to Accra and Hilton which are popular meeting or conference venues so you will be near to any business you came to Barbados to do but still have funds left over to enjoy the place rather than ploughing all that into your room rate.

in fact, I had a really early morning flight and at first the hotel did not have any room available to facilitate an early check in so Donna - the fantastic front desk attendant assisted me in planning a tour that would end just in time for check in....all arrangements were made before I even set foot in Barbados. Can you imagine that Donna was able to find me a room and I then was able to check in, stash my stuff in my room, freshen up a bit and then head off to my safari tour. When the meeting on my last day in Barbados was cancelled a quick call to the front desk and Ann organised a great cruise for me. I was also able to have a bath and freshen up for my flight home when i returned from my cruise even though i had already checked out - all was arranged and planned perfectly. The support staff at this hotel is great and made my stay fabulous.

Now for the "issues" - while I had a good room, only a slight problem with a leaky air conditioner which was eventually taken care of, others in my party were not so lucky and had countless issues. There are three or is it four floors - no elevator, I had a ground floor room. The room was spacious , a great big safe -was able to fit my whole knapsack in it along with my laptop, kitchenette, 2 televisions - one in the living/dining room and another in the bedroom. My bathroom was comfortable, good water pressure and hot water. However, again my colleagues has issues with the water pressure, water temperature and one had to change rooms due to a plumbing issues with the toilet.

Breakfast is pretty basic but adequate i suppose. Internet is sporadic in the room but we were able to get a good strong signal in the gazebo near the pool.

This hotel needs some maintenance and I do not mean just paint cause it does seems like it was recently painted. However with all its drawbacks, the STAFF will try to fulfil your every request. i was lucky to have been assigned to a good enough room that I was able to actually sleep through the night - a rarity for me since hotels tend to be noisy with strange sounds like the regfrigerator coming on and off, the air conditioner, staff or other guests moving along the corridor outside your door at all hours of the morning etc. You cannot beat the price which included internet and full breakfast, while being so centrally located - we did not need a vehicle since most anything that we needed was within walking distance. Therefore I won the room lottery but you might not be so lucky. Additionally, if the hotel is full you might not be able to have a remedy to that situation.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I stayed here for 4 days in March on business. The location across from Accra Beach and close to the small shopping complex and restaurants is great, but that was the only positive. I had to pay for wireless internet access daily which did not have a steady connection on the upper floors where I was staying, never had hot water in the shower, and developed an eye infection from the bed linens. Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Matthew J
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We just stayed at the Blue Horizon for the second time. The effect of the economy is evident in deletion of breakfast (a great buffet is now toast and, if you're lucky, croissants) but otherwise the room was nice and well air conditioned, has tea kettle and refrigerator, and daily housekeeping was great. Everyone except dining staff were very nice. Not sure why the dining staff is so unfriendly and determined to make customers feel like a nuisance. Front desk staff is always super helpful and friendly. Best thing about Blue Horizon is the gorgeous beach just across the street and being so close to Bar Kanei for happy hour, as well as the short walk to Champers, our favorite restaurant on the island. Sunsets at the beach and Champers are unbelievable, and it's all there for you if you stay at Blue Horizon. Think budget and be pleasantly surprised if it exceeds your expectation, then spend the extra money on delicious food!

Room Tip: Both rooms we've stayed in were quiet and had a great balcony
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple