“highlight of our vacation”

Boosy's Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Christian has been surfing for 26 years and teaching for 10. He teaches all the lessons himself, and safety is Priority #1. He keeps his groups small and uses a GoPro camera on every lesson to record each student riding the waves. "I enjoy helping people to create and document great memories while surfing in Barbados." - Boosy Fee: US$50 /person Includes: South Coast transportation, surfboard, bottled water and GoPro video footage
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 12, 2012

What to say - in every great vacation there are memories you wish you could lock in and hold onto forever. When i think of barbados its the surfing that will always first come to mind. We are a family of five, ranging in age from 12 to 51, and we've spent plenty of time on beaches but have never tried surfing. I found Boosy's surf school thru trip advisor and knew we had to try it.

Christian met us us Surfer's cafe in Oistin - nice little restaurant with excellent food. We all piled into his truck and headed to the beach. Christian spent about 10 - 15 minutes on land showing us technique for how to get up on the board and then into the water we went. Freights Bay was very gentle surf and Christian had us up and surfing in no time - it was much easier than I thought it would be! My husband struggled a little but even he got up a couple times, and the kids and I caught a lot of waves.

We had so much fun we decided to go back for a second round. Again we were picked up at Surfers cafe and brought to a different beach - Surfer's Point which had more wave action. Definitely day 2 was harder but we all were successful and had a great time. Christian was patient, encouraging, gave great directions, and loved to laugh. He even took pity on me and towed me out thru the waves a couple times - thanks Christian! It was exhausting but so much fun!!!

Cannot recommend this enough - 5 stars all the way!

BoosyBarbados, Owner at Boosy's Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

It makes me very happy and proud that i helped make your vacation such a fun time, that really is what surfing is all about. Sure i'm there to help keep things organized and safe but you all are who put in the hard work of paddling and then progressed from steps to jumping to your feet in a very short time. My hat is off to you and your family. Its really awesome to see families do activities together and to be a part of this is an honour and very rewarding,. Thanks for surfing with me and thanks for the brilliant review! Wishing you all the very best.

All reviews
"the east coast"
"visited barbados"
"sea turtles"

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We are two girls who spent our summer in Barbados for five weeks. We wanted to learn how to surf and a friend from Norway, who has lived on Barbados for 30years recommended Christian. We checked him out on Facebook and texted him. Two days later he picked us up for our first lesson and we drove to Freights Bay. Christian is a person with a lot of energy, and we clicked immediately! He's a real motivator, who knows how to have fun:-) The next two weeks we surfed several times, and we became good friends with Christian! Christian teach people of all ages, both children and adults, and these weeks we became a group together with a french familiy. That was so nice!!

The next three weeks we continued our surfing with Christian. He kept picking us up, and we had drinks and lunch at Surfers cafe sometimes. He became our Papa the Apa ;-D

One day there were no waves, so Christian offered to show us the east coast, Soup Bowl - the biggest surfer point in Barnados. We got to see him surf in bigger waves, and it was so cool! We got inspiration to keep on surfing, and hopefully get to his level one day.

We got to surf at South point and Surfers point the last weeks, where there were bigger waves. The price was really good! We paid 45 US for the first two lessons (thats with a studentdiscount), then we paid 15 US for rent of boards. Still Christian encouraged and motivated us. He was always close by, so if we needed help catching a wave, he was right there! We often forgot the time in the water, because it was so much fun, and Christian never rushed to end a lesson. He always wanted us to get as much as possible out of the lesson, and wanted everybody to end with a good wave!

Christian gave us a perfect first time experience - we will definitely contiune surfing!! And we will never forget he's motivation-strategies POWER POOOWER POWER!!

We will return for sure, and love our Papa forever <3<3<3

Big kiss Lene and Maroa :-D

1  Thank Lene-Maroa

Papa the Apa misses you girls. My Vikings! Surfing with you girls and introducing you all to other various things such as things eat (Doubles, Ackees) and places to visit (Cafe Sol) was a great time. You girls better come back and visit so we can surf everyday and head to the east coast and challenge you even more. Take care of yourselves work hard and play hard. Thanks for the review!!!!!!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Thanks Christian for your patience with a beginner of 50 and for the support of 3 fast advancing teenagers. Your clear instructions as well as your funny jokes make your lessons an unforgettable experience.
We had twice just great fun, could take wonderful pictures and will always remember surfing in paradise.
We wish you all the best and good luck.

1  Thank Werner_Thurnheer

Ok ok i think i finally managed to remember who is Fabian and who is Ian! :-) You have a great family and it was awesome that you all came on vacation together and came surfing. After 2 lessons you all were able to catch your own waves and ride them, well done. It really helps that everyone is very athletic. Thanks for taking the time to write this review. Take care and remember you all are always welcome back in Barbados and surfing with me.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I went surfing here with my dad twice and we had lots of fun. Christian teaches his surfing lessons in an engaging way but also pays a lot of attention to safety. You can tell how passionate he is about surfing and he definitely passed his enthusiasm for the sport on to us!

1  Thank KorinneZwiers

Korinne it was a pleasure to meet you and your dad. It was clear that from your first surfing lesson you had retained some good stuff and then we built or rather added to what was already there. You rocked Freights Bay! Thanks for taking the time to write the review. Make sure to give your dad my best regards. See you all in the future.