“Altho Melanie was wonderful, this trip was not at all it was cracked up to be”

Barbados Surf Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Barbados Surf Trips is a full service surf vacation planning concierge. We work with each individual client to help you plan the exact surfing vacation you are looking for. We help book accommodations, airport transfers, car rental, surf tours, surf lessons, surfboard rentals, restaurants, activities.
Ellicott City, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Altho Melanie was wonderful, this trip was not at all it was cracked up to be”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I went on this trip with my boy friend, he intended to surf and I intended to lay on the beach and watch. If you are into adventure, dirt, and trash you should definitely stay in Bathsheba. It was cheap and we got what we paid for. The apartment we stayed in was infested with cockroaches and rats. It was also pretty dirty. On the other hand it was within walking distance to the soup bowl. No one told us the beach there was unswimmable. In order for me to lay on a nice beach we had to drive about 30 minutes in any direction. Barbados is a very dirty, trash-filled country. Every where we went people offered us weed, cocaine, and crack. Every where we went people were constantly trying to sell us various things. Melanie was great at helping with accommodations but her lessons were very expensive and so was boards rental. If your looking for a beach to lay on make sure you specify that because she definitely didnt give us good advise on that account.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank okimgreat
SurfFlower, Owner at Barbados Surf Trips, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
I am really sorry that your trip to Barbados was so disappointing. I just wish you would have notified me that you were so unhappy. You did mention to me that you had seen a rat and you asked if it was normal. I told you that it has not been a problem before but if you would like i can move you to other accommodations. You opted to stay and said you didn't see that rat again I was never made aware of roaches and that you felt it was dirty till this review.

As far as the board rentals and lessons are concerned: There are 6 surf companies in Barbados and 5 of the 6 charge the same rate for lessons and board rentals +/- $5 or so. The board that you rented is actually a very nice longboard and the regular rate is $30/day or $150 for 5 to 7 days. I gave you a rate of $20/day. Are you aware that American Airlines charges US$150 each way to bring a surfboard? I think my rates are very fair. I also offered you a free board rental for the week when taking 3 surf lessons.

The Bathsheba area is very rugged and non-touristy and there are lovely tide pools to relax in. In the last few weeks there have been massive amounts of seaweed littering the beaches all accross Barbados. I have not seen this happen in the last 14 years.

Also im sure you noticed even at the surfing beaches on the South coast that there is no swimming. This is quite normal and not unique to Barbados.

When I am planning a trip for clients they sometimes ask "Where is best for us to stay"? and I direct them appropriatly. In some cases, like yours, they know where they want to stay and i work with them to settle them into that choice. It is not my perogitive or ability to read peoples personalities and know what they will like or dislike.

Again I am really sorry and saddned about your experience in Barbados.

Austin, Texas
“Great service and incredibly convenient!!”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Surf Barbados catered their service to your surfing ability level (as long as you are honest), and went to locations that fit what you wanted to do. Melanie or her staff will pick you up at your hotel and bring a board to your liking, then take you to the best break on that given day. The price is very reasonable and the rental boards are good quality. The forecast models don’t always tell the story and you need someone with local knowledge to find the best conditions. Melanie knows everyone on the island and can usually get firsthand accounts of the conditions before

Visited May 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Awesome help from Melanie and Amazing Island!”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I tried to do some last minute planning for a trip to Barbados and I would not have succeeded without Melanie's assistance. She responded to my emails promptly and provided great advice and recommendations. She was extremely helpful and made everything run seamlessly. She setup our car rental, accommodations and surf board rental. I didn't have to worry about any of this. She also gave us a great guided surf tour of the island. My boyfriend is still talking about his trip to Soup Bowl and surfing at Parlour's beach with Melanie. I definitely recommend Melanie's surf trips! Also, Barbados is an amazing island!! We are already planning our next trip! :-)

Middle of nowhere Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“If you are surfing in Barbados, this is your connection.”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I went to Barbados with my 14 year old daughter so we both could learn how to surf, & spend time getting to know each other better. Neither had been surfing before. weather you want surfing lessons, place to stay, car rental, or guided surf trips, Melanie is your answer. She booked our apartment, got us a car rental, & gave us lessons. She is the best.

They come to where you are staying, pick you up, & take you to where the best waves that are appropriate for your surfing level are that day. She was very patient with us during our lessons, & got us standing up & surfing the first day. On your first days out, she stands out in the water, & positions you on your board, & gives you a push off at just the right time to help you get up. She explains the wave paterns, board position, paddleing techniques, and stance. I can't tell you what it was like to stand up & float over the top of the water with a wave pushing you. Totally unbeleivable.

She also has other teachers that are just as good. James not only helped give us lessons, he also showed us some very entertaining magical tricks also. Thanks James.

Just tell her what kind of a trip you want, and what type of accomodations you would like, & she will get it all arranged for you. If you want high end luxury, or basic accomodations, she can find the place for you. She does not charge extra for any of the other services, so don't worry about that. All she charges for is her lessons.

I looked at all the other guides, & am so happy with our choice. We will be back & use Barbados surf trips again.

1 Thank IslandFeverAflicted
Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Surfing was great!”
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Had a lot of fun surfing in Barbados. Melanie was so helpful with transportation to and from the cruise ship and even got us car seats for the kids. She went out of her way to help us when we had trouble with the taxi I had originally booked. I liked the fact that she responded quickly to my emails.