“Wonderful location atmosphere and food”
Review of The Cliff

The Cliff
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open 7 days a week December to May, June to November, Monday to Saturday. Office Hours 9am to 5pm.
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were very fortunate as we only booked the morning of the night we visited so we were not expecting a great table. However, we were pleasantly surprised to be seated on the second tier up overlooking the sea. The table was very private having viol curtains dividing us from other diners. We booked an early table so that's probably why we managed to get in, as we wanted to sit in the lovely bar and watch the sun set. We looked at the reviews before booking and we weren't disappointed. From excellent service, amazing atmosphere and delicious food, it really hit the spot for our last night. Yes its on the pricey side for Barbados but it depends on what you are comparing it with. Certainly no more expensive than a good London restaurant.

1  Thank BucksAngel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,745)

Reviewed February 22, 2014

My fiance has been wanting to take me to The Cliff for years and I wasn't disappointed. It's stunning!! You can't help but say 'wow' when you first see the view from the terrace. Have a cocktail looking down over the sea and the restaurant before you go to your table. The food is beautiful and the service very good. We were celebrating my 50th birthday and our engagement in Barbados and this was the perfect place to complete a perfect holiday. Yes, it's expensive but if you have something to celebrate then go for it!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We just came back from Barbados and the trip was awesome. We ate at The Cliff and enjoyed every minute of it. The Staff was great the meal was fabulous ! The view was breath taking.
If your in Barbados please don't short yourself by not dining at this one of a kind fine dining Restaurants.
I bought a cook book from The Cliff and they had the Chef autograph it for me and I really thought that was quite special.
We plan on taking another trip there next year and believe me we will be dining at the cliff .

1  Thank Ruby R
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The Cliff is without a doubt one of the romantic restaurants in Barbados. The lighting is perfection, ambiance is perfection and the service top notch. We have eaten here before and have found those things remain consistent. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the food. My suggestion come for drinks...the bar is lovely...

1  Thank Robin B
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Having eaten at The Cliff for my 50th birthday and having enjoyed a great experience then, we returned on 6th February 2014 in anticipation of a repeat performance,
In fact what we got was food poisoning which lasted a full evening of being really ill between 12:30 am of the 6th Feb for the next 24 hours!
We then spent a further full day in bed and were unable to enjoy a further day fully due to feeling run- down and really off in general.
I contacted the General Manager on 7th February who apologised and offered a "Full Refund" ,
At which point I said I would accept this offer with no further action, suggesting that food handling / hygiene should be reviewed internally !
I was amazed however to discover that only a refund on food consumed was refunded and when I asked for the Manager to return my call, the receptionist stated that food only would be covered as was usually the case for The Cliff with food poisoning claims!
The end result was a total waste of at least 2 full days of our 10 day stay which is impossible to either recover or quantify in cost, coupled with feeling very ill which was a truly unpleasant experience.
The receptionist at The Cliff also suggested that because we hadn't called a Doctor, they were reluctant to refund anything at all- some people however are genuine and have the integrity to be honest when reporting something as serious a a food poisoning claim!
For the record, we both ate the same starter, main course and shared dessert, this alone compounds fully the fact that this claim is beyond doubt,
Upon making my last call to obtain a full refund , again to the receptionist, no return call was made by the General Manager.
PS The ambience , style and perceived experience are beyond doubt, you DO NOT EXPECT TO EXPERIENCE POOR FOOD HANDLING OR HYGIENE AT THESE PRICES OR WITH THE REPUTATION OF THIS RESTAURANT-COUPLED WITH A VERY POOR RESPONSE TO THE COMPLAINT !

Without doubt, any good reviews will be fair, likewise the terrible and costly experience we had should not have happened at all.

10  Thank Richard S
TheCliffBarbados, General Manager at The Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

For the consideration of those reading the above review:

1. Our policy when dealing with claims of food poisoning is to refund the amount for the food, and then only after a licensed medical practitioner has verified the claim. In this case, there was no verification of the kind of illness contracted, but we refunded the BDS$535 regardless. We do not refund drinks for food poisoning claims.
2. We hold our kitchen to the highest food handling and hygiene standards
3. We served nearly 3 dozen of the same dishes implicated in the review on the night of the complaint, and we did not receive any other negative feedback
4. As per our refund policy, we highly encourage guests who become ill after eating at our restaurant to seek medical attention, as there are many possible causes for this kind of illness, quite a few of which have long gestation periods and do not result from contaminated food or food handling practices.
5. As a side note: The highly contagious stomach bug, gastroenteritis was spreading throughout the island during the first two weeks of February, with a very high infection rate