“A Class of it's own”
Review of The Cliff

The Cliff
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open 7 days a week December to May, June to November, Monday to Saturday. Office Hours 9am to 5pm.
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Fantastic, stunning location, as the name suggests the restaurant is literally on a cliff, jutting out into the Carribean Ocean, unbelivable. Valet parking, service was second to none, with a waiter standing beside our table to ensure we had everything we required. Liverpool Chef Paul Owens ensured the food was top quality. This is the best restaurant experience I have ever had, and I would highly recommend it, the only drawback is, it is expensive, our meal came to appro £250, but we thought it was worth every penny.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,931)

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My wife and i and two of our daughters visited the Cliff for our fourth time in early August 2012.
As ever the service was exceptional and was matched only by the excellent food served that evening. Paul Owens the head chef and joint owner (and a Scouser as well) prepared the most delicious dishes. We had the taster menu and as one of my daughters is vegetarian they happily adapted it to replace the meat dishes.

All the the courses were beautiful and the extensive wine list allowed me to pick some perfect wine to accompany the meal.

The view from the restaurant are amazing and yet a gain a turtle came onto the beach outside of the restaurant to lay eggs.

we ended the evening as we started with cocktails by the bar and Paul Owens joined us at the end of service for a couple of drinks to cap off a wonderful night.

Recommend this to anyone who likes fine dining and a real culinary experience.

1  Thank TonyMclean
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Ok "The Cliff".......... let's get it right this time! we last visited The Cliff three years ago and, it has to be said, I wasn't particularly impressed. However, and for once, my partner was 100% correct when she suggested that my average review last time was based on the fact that I had asked, before I had even tasted, for the thai shrimp curry not to be exceptionally hot. What was dished up what's the blandest Thai curry I had have ever tasted. Bless him, the Chef simply follow my instructions! On this occasion my good lady and I decided to opt for the tasting menu. With my hand firmly on my heart, I can assure you that it was probably the best meal I have tasted for many a year. it was sheer perfection and, somewhat unusually with a tasting menu, there was not one single dish that I can say was anything other than world class. JRPayne in his review of 24 August (which has saved me a great deal of typing because I am in full agreement with him) do not go to The Cliff if you are counting the pennies. However, might I also suggest that you also do not go to any world class restaurant if you are counting the pennies because, not least, The Cliff, no matter what you may have read in previous reviews, is no more expensive than, four example, Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley in London which is currently accepted as one of the top London establishments. the tasting menu at Marcus Wareing for 3 persons with a good Rose (it was summer!)bottle of and three cocktails cost me UK£550. My tasting menu for two persons at The Cliff came to £290. Let me do the maths for you….the same pro rata meal at Marcus Waring should have come to £435! But here's the fantastic rub. As wonderful as the meal was at Marcus Wareing, I categorically assure you that the tasting menu at The Cliff was a class above....perhaps 2 classes! I'm totally convinced that those reviewers who complain about the prices at very expensive restaurants have probably never never experienced the very best restaurants before. A restaurant like The Cliff HAS to be expensive. The rent, the cost of food in Barbados (even supermarkets are nearly 3 times as expensive as those that in the United Kingdom because everything is imported), the amount of staff and, finally, the chefs which, at this level, do not come cheap. All have to be taken into account. Perhaps the best suggestion that this reviewer can give is to propose that for a couple of nights beforehand you eat as cheaply as possible and save up those dollars for what sincerely is both a remarkable meal in a remarkable setting and then write back to tell me that I am wrong!

2  Thank JeffeyS
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The Cliff is a must! Don't miss the experience of The Cliff. This restaurant sets a new standard for dining in the Caribbean. We have visited most of the islands and I dare say no restaurant comes close to delivering the experience The Cliff delivers. From the time you walk in you are held in awe by the perfect setting that, in ways, resembles an old pirate ship, but much more beautiful. You are greeted by one of the best trained and absolutely beautiful staffs anywhere. There are three levels and the upper level is a perfect setting for a casual cocktail or two before dinner. You are certainly not rushed and the staff just majically appears when you are ready to dine. The wine list is quite good and offers the perfect choice of fine wines from all parts of the globe. There are two menus each night -- the normal menu and that night's specials. Our meals were wonderful. The wait staff was among the best trained we have encountered anywhere in the world. Then came desert. We split a chocolate dish that was simply to die for. One note: this restaurant is quite expensive. We spent about $450 US for our meal, drink and a quite generous tip. But it was worth it. We had just left two five-star resorts and they didn't hold a candle to our Cliff experience. I highly recommend you make this your special stop on Barbados.

1  Thank a36redbaron
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I still think this place is the number 1 place to eat in Barbados. I dont think its overpriced. Service could not be better. Every course has been perfect. Views are perfect.
If you book early you 'should' get the special views of the sea.
If I could I would eat here everyday of my holiday.
(except when i fancy one of the 'Chefette' Rotis!)

1  Thank BunnyGirl80