“Relaxing Easy-going Friendly Staff”

The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
Rome, New York
“Relaxing Easy-going Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Club for 9 nights in late October/early November. We had a wonderful time. We celebrated my wife's birthday during our stay, and the staff went out of their way to make my wife's day special. The restaurant manager wished her a happy birthday the day before, the day of, and the day after. Our table was decorated for both breakfast and dinner, and the kitchen staff saved off some desert that my wife liked from a dinner service just before her birthday to present it to her on her birthday as something special. I have a food allergy that I had informed the Club about before arriving, and the first time we went to dinner at the restaurant, as soon as the manager heard our name, she confirmed my allergy, asked our server to talk to the Chef and made sure during our entire stay that I knew if anything on offer contained anything that could be a problem for me. We found the servers to be very attentive and friendly, several of them going out of their way to make our meals great. On our last day, one of our favorite servers hugged us both goodbye and seemed as sad as we were that we were leaving that day.
I've read in several reviews that the pool was not cleaned, or that the pool grounds were not being cleaned, or that the birds were left to run loose. I don't know what they were referring to, we saw people cleaning the pools every day. We also thought the staff were doing a great job with the birds and the flies issue, it is a tropical island, there are birds, flies, bugs etc. The restaurant staff did their best to make it as small an issue as possible.
We stayed in an ocean view one bedroom suite on the third floor, which had just awe inspiring views. We spent several evenings in our sitting area looking out over the ocean sipping one of our favorite drinks from the bar. The stairs were a little annoying, but they let me work off some of the food and drink. The location of the beach bar between the restaurant and our room was unfortunate, for me, since I couldn't resist ordering a special drink just about every time I passed the bar. I am not a big drinker, but they were irresistible!
Everyone we dealt with was very friendly and helpful, but there were a few people I'd like to single out, some names I've forgotten, unfortunately. Gillian was extremely helpful to me both before arriving and during our stay, helping me plan my wife's birthday. Sherron and the rest of the spa staff were wonderful to my wife on her birthday. Amir was very helpful and a great tour guide. There were at least two servers, and one of the restaurant managers whose names I forget, that helped make our entire stay a wonderful experience, I wish I could include their names.
If you like turtles, the tour/activity swimming with the turtles that the Club offers is well worth the charge. We looked into taking a catamaran tour that included swimming with the turtles, and were glad we opted for going on the Club's turtle tour. Sign up early for it, it is one of the most popular tours they offer, we signed up on our first day at the Club, and had to wait almost a week. They only take 6 people on the turtle tour, so you get to swim and watch the turtles without the crowds, much better than the churning bunches that go on the catamarans.
Another bit of advice, attend the orientation session as soon as you can, you miss a lot if you don't go. They give you a great deal of information about activities, options, etc.

Room Tip: Ocean view second or third floor have great views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Mike60817

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is the first time we have reviewed any holiday destination but felt compelled to on this occasion based on some of the totally unfair reviews we had read prior to, & since returning from our trip. I must admit, we were dubious about our up coming break due to reading some critical reviews, I am sure you can find fault in anything if you dig deep enough! From our arrival to departure the staff were wonderful, could not have been more helpful & accommodating. The food was varied & excellently prepared, our room was comfortable & clean, pool was well maintained & the garden areas were always well tended & very pleasant. When people complain about value for money I am not sure what they expect at new year in an all inclusive hotel! Sandy lane quality at the Club prices, lets be realistic! We have visited Barbados 6 times now & stayed at various locations & we will definitely be staying at The Club again & would have no hesitation recommending to others, we had a fabulous time, met some lovely down to earth people & we were very sad to leave. The effort that all the staff put in to the New Years night was outstanding & they obviously enjoyed the night as much as the guests! We can't wait for our next visit.

4 Thank Andrew M
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed over Christmas and New Year. The Restaurant and Kitchen team did a wonderful job and the food was up to the 4 stars claimed.
The location is OK too although not a good beach for swimming off as there is a reef close by, there is the beach a few minutes walk away in front of Sandy Lane hotel but a tricky walk across rocks to get there.
The big negative--we paid extra for a garden room--and it was lovely but after 2 nights the bathroom was flooded by a leak from the room above, and we were "upgraded" to a club room, the first one offered was beside the noisy road that passes the hotel and the second offered was in block 6, this room overlooked the back of the kitchen and was the best of 2 very poor options.
We had already lost the afternoon being messed about with promises of another room and packing/unpacking.
So, we paid for a garden view and got a kitchen view (images available) and the noise of kitchen fans for 12 days in the worst part of the property, the block only has 6 rooms and 1 of which was used as a rubbish dump(images available) The maid service was appalling too, only 2 tiny towels some days and towels thrown over the shower rail or hung on the door others. One of the maids spent most of the day on his blackberry from what we could see.
So, a bit of a maintenance problem and slack admin--the original room 232 was occupied again within a day, and we had a kitchen view.
Give this place a wide birth would be my advice.

Room Tip: Avoid block 6 at all costs.
4 Thank Clive W
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you very much for your recent comments about your stay at The Club Barbados.

We are very sorry about the unfortunate incident in your room which resulted in moving to a different room. The room which you were moved to is a very popular accommodation being a third floor room within 10 yards of the ocean with an ocean view right outside the window.

We sincerely care about our guests and their holiday experience. The Club is famous for its excellent staff, and for creating wonderful memories of an outstanding Caribbean holiday.

We read all of our guest reviews, and work diligently to make your stay with us a great one.

We hope to see you soon in Barbados.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our family of four had a fabulous time at The Club. The warmth of the people at the resort could only be matched by the warmth of the island. The food was well prepared and varied. The waitstaff went out of their way to get me fresh ginger. The watersport included was excellent. In spite of being a city girl, I caught my first fish ever on the fishing excursion!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank PealBlue
Cardiff, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Having been here for many years when it was run by Almond Resorts, and after a year from the take over by Elite Resorts, we can see many distinct and worthy external improvements : awnings and patios for ground floor rooms, extended tiling around pools, well manicured grounds, well designed netting and netted doors to exclude as many birds as possible from the restaurant during breakfast and lunch - and it works !

Also, many well thought out improvements on the sea front, with a wider path towards Sandy Lane and a secure wall fronting the beach. Secure steps to the beach and many stones removed from the beach front and the path to Sandy Lane Beach - great for a rapid dash of the water is coming in - we had many easy trips to Sandy Lane Beach when the tide was half way to fully out

Staff : very welcoming indeed lead by Melissa Maynard for Guest Relations and many helpful front desk staff - no request was too much for them, with a rapid response for any room problems.

Likewise for bar staff : no trouble to serve drinks be they fancy cocktails or say wine.

Piano Bar : 11pm - 2 am : my wife and a lady friend were delighted with the ambiance here - I was too tired from enjoying my day and evening "! Very goods timing in that excepting New Year's Eve when entertainment music/singing stops around 12 .15 am, such music and it's noise stops at 11 pm,so those who wish will not have their sleep disturbed - and night owls can decant to the Piano Bar !

Wine : in Almond's days the all inclusive red wine tasted like paint stripper : not so now -
very drinkable indeed, as is the white version : Prima Opera, Spanish : Merlot or Chardonnay .

Restaurant Staff : For us they were the backbone of the welcome we received from the company as we dined there 3 times a day/evening. Many thanks to you Sophia Efill and your team - we really looked forward to meal times. I have to say that the evening dining with such lovely décor, table settings with linen table cloths and napkins and subdued lighting was elegance and relaxation par excellence.

Food : very good on the whole with a few exceptions of tough chicken, beef and even the fish Marlin.

Gym looks well equipped : saw notices of guided aerobic sessions here and on the beach front.

Cooking and cocktail making classes available.

Boat trips : staff on time and very welcoming. Also, saw lots of guests enjoying water skiing and sailing. Board paddling also available.

THE BEACH : So much is said about there being "no beach ".Actually there is one quite visible when the tide is half way out. No, there isn't dry sand you can put your sunbed on, but you can do that easily on the terrace above. What there is, is a VERY SWIMABLE BEACH. Much soft sand as you enter the water ( stones regularly removed ) ... and a very gentle dip down as you enter further into the water. Such entries into the water on nearby Sandy Lane or Paynes Bay beaches can be much more tricky and deeper.

Areas for improvement :

The sunbeds are basic and not all that comfortable : cushions should be provided if they really want to be classified as a 4 star resort : in a wide stretch both north and south of the resort the following hotels have sunbed cushions : Fairmont Royal Pavilion, Colony Club, Coral Reef, Sand Piper, Mango Bay, Sandy Lane, Tamarind, The House, Crystal Cove. Only Discovery Bay does not have cushions. Enough said !

For such a high % of UK guests there is no UK TV stations : eg BBC 1 or BBC World - only a vast array of American/ Canadian. We had a number of UK stations when we recently stated at The Tamarind Hotel in near by Paynes Bay.

Fridge : should contain at least bottled water for an all inclusive. And the fridge should not be on the floor as it was in our " Superior Deluxe Room " - I had to get on my knees to put water or milk in it. Fresh milk should be supplied for making tea : the coffee mate powder is not very inviting.

Thank you all for a very enjoyable Christmas /New Year stay : though we would have preferred at least one carol singing choir, or Christmas music playing steel band on Dec 23rd/24th. I doubt if even the most hardened atheists or non Christians would have begrudged that ! As it was, there was no Christmassy feel to the entertainment.

Well done on all the improvements - please add the above !!

Room Tip: Room 226, Superior Garden View ) has good view of Pools and is close to Restaurant and beach front.
4 Thank Beachandsea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Me and my wife arrived on the 30th of December celebrating our honeymoon and NYE at the club. From the pictures, the hotel looked beautiful so we decided to go for it.

When we arrived, we got a not all that welcoming welcome. This even though we arrived at 2 in the morning, several hours delayed.

We then got a room, 3 stories up with no elevator (not ideal when my wife is 6 months pregnant).

The room itself was nothing like the pictures (pictures only showed views from beach facing rooms and common areas- although, I doubt that they were taken recently, the common areas looked sad and run down in need of some freshup). Neon lights just to give more of a hospital touch.

When we complained, they offered us a garden view room on the bottom floor (facing three air conditioners so no view of the garden) or another room on the second floor (still no elevator).

What was even worse is that they had no mini bar (hence no bottled water) and bottled water was $10 Barbadian extra. Am sure Barbadian tap is fine but Caribbean standard but when the water tastes like it has been tapped from the pool, it's just a no go.

Further on - the food. I have stayed at all incl before and I know not to expect Michelin starred food but this was just terrible. Overly buttered, no fresh ingredients and all artificial prefabricated stuff - one of the desserts still actually had the brand marked on the jelly.

After 5 days, we decided to cut our stay short by 4 days and checked in somewhere else.

Management of the club didn't offer us any apologies nor refund, instead charged for the full stay AND gave us a salted bill for food that we have sent back and different fees - so much for customer care when they were most likely able to rebook our room at full rate after we left.

I would NOT rate this as a 4 star accommodation, 2.5 stars the most. They are NOT accommodating at all and I Really recommend that you DONT stay there - overpriced, overrated and when it comes to problems you will not be treated as a customer should be.

It ruined half of our stay and left a VERY bad taste on our honeymoon.

Appalling is the overall rating

• Stayed January 2014
10 Thank Daniel A
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

you for your comments about recent stay at The Club Barbados. We see the gift of feedback as an opportunity to consistently improve our guest's experience while with us. We pride ourselves on providing guests with accommodation in a genuine, unpretentious environment where they can enjoy a one of a kind Caribbean experience.

Since Elite Island Resorts took over management the Club has enjoyed myriad upgrades ranging from lobby, restaurant and lounge renovations, new gift shop, all new sports equipment, new sun loungers, new awnings and patios on courtyard ground floor rooms for further enjoyment of the outside environment as well as fresh paint on all exteriors and inside guest rooms. We are also in the process installing new soft furnishings and bedding in all guest rooms for a fresh bright new look.

The Club, Barbados provides a terrific all-inclusive Caribbean holiday, which hosts hundreds of very happy guests each week. We consistently earn excellent reviews among our guests for great dining, activities, and a wonderfully hospitable and gracious staff.
Redditch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Booked as part of a 2 week cruise and stay package with Thomson.
Transfers fine, and a great rep (Ella).
Now for the hotel.
We had booked a deluxe room, which was great. Clean, airy, very nicely furnished, with both air con ( a bit noisy ) and ceiling fans. Great shower, always hot water available, fridge and kettle. The bed was comfy, but remember your mossie repellent.
The gardens and pools were all well maintained, and again spotlessly clean. Plenty of sun loungers available.
The beach was a bit small, but there were 2 great beaches less than a 5 minute walk in either direction, including Sandy Lane for those who what to celeb spot !! Good swimming and snorkelling in clear blue waters, with lots to see.

Breakfast and lunch are buffet style in the Sunset restaurant, and both have a good selection.
Evening meals are either in Sunset, or Enid's, a Bajun style restaurant. and both were good.

TIP - You need to book a time for each evening, so get down to breakfast early on day one, and book your preferred time slot for the whole stay, as 6:45 to 7:30 fills up quickly.

The evening entertainment was a bit disappointing, with little variety on any night, but was OK as background music. Warning, if you want an early night, take some earplugs, as the music can be heard all over the resort. It does finish at 11pm though.

The location of the resort is good, with Holetown only a 10 minute walk away ( Local shops, bars, and a designer mall), the chattel craft village almost opposite, and bus stops directly outside.

Room Tip: Deluxe or sea view rooms are the best.
2 Thank Chaz-b98
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,379 reviews

Been to The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!