“The staff made our holiday”

The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
Egham, United Kingdom
“The staff made our holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I would agree pretty much with what has been said about this hotel but with a great hint of balance as a reflection. The staff were brilliant, helpful, polite and always coutreous. Yes the birds are a nuisance but my guess is that this will be the same every where on the Island. Yes the bathroom too needed a little updating and revamping but how long do you spend in the shower (and anyway don't you always shut the door when using the toilet?!!) The food was superb, the drinks liberal and all were included. Fresh iced water was available from the bars at any time during the day and unlimited coffee at any time. Magnificent beaches could be found on both sides of the hotel plus water sports and excursions from the helpful staff at the resort. The beach was interesting in front of the hotel, although dependent on the tide, then this beach was great for either snorkelling or swimming The turtles were amazing and the boat trip to them was fantastic - the guy got into the water with us and clearly enjoyed being with these magnificent creatures. Overall the helpfuness of every member of staff was exemplary. We have not stayed anywhere else on the Island so have nothing to compare the resort with but I would return tomorrow if I could.
On the last night we were fortunate enough to watch a turtle attempting to come ashore to lay her eggs - magical.
The journey into Bridgetown was easy using public transport and overall the Bajans are friendly and supportive, always willing to help. The Reggae buses are a must! All buses are 2 dollars per trip and worth every penny.
We had an oceaview room which I felt was almost compulsory (originallywe had booked a garden room but if you can afford the slighty higher cost - get an ocean view), the balcony is a optional extra).
The 3 pools at the resprt were clean and frequently checked. Overall first rate - thank you to everyone at the Club. The evening entertainment was variable from billiant to ok but the cocktails/rum punch/shorts all added to the fun.aThis was a good all inclusive and well budgetted holiday. Can't wait to to back!

4 Thank Lynne W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

The hotel is 35 mins from the airport. And we passed by residential area and some ghetto places.. Quite scary.. Then once we arrived the the hotel, there absoutely no way this is 4 stars. If ritz Carlton and four seasons are 5 stars, then this hotel is probably a 2 stars. The room is super outdated compare to those real 4 stars. The beach is not a beach, it's a concrete floor with sand. This hotel is NOT a beach front.
This is adult only, so there are no kids. But full of retired elderly that are trying to "steam" thsemselves to death on this concrete beach.
And my ocean front room became garden view, and it said there was a jacuzzi, but the front office told me that's wrong. They have no private jacuzzi AT ALL. So I was super disappointed and angry that I got misleading! Stay away from this 2 stars hotel!! It's worst then a motel !

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Crankybabylover
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us at The Club Barbados. We see the gift of feedback as a way to continuously improve in order to provide an outstanding and memorable vacation experience.

Since Elite Island Resorts took over management a little over one year ago the Club has enjoyed myriad upgrades ranging from lobby, restaurant and lounge renovations, new gift shop, all new sports equipment, new sun loungers, new awnings and patios on courtyard ground floor rooms, for further enjoyment of the outside environment, as well as fresh paint on all exteriors and inside guest rooms. We are also in the process installing new soft furnishings and bedding in all guest rooms for a fresh bright new look.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Have just returned (with my wife) from a two week stay at the Club and had a great time.

The staff at the hotel (especially Jemina, Elvis, Sophia, Keisha, Cheryl et al) are fantastic and really do everything they can to make sure you have a great holiday.

We did encounter a few less than courteous hotel guests who struggled to use simple terms like ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ but the staff were impeccable.

We were upgraded on arrival to a Garden/Pool view suite which had good views of both the pool area and the ocean. The room itself was clean and spacious though the two suites below us were both having remedial work undertaken on them for the first few days of our stay – presumably as part of the ongoing work being done to refurbish/upgrade the hotel.

The food was very good in both (Sunset & Enid’s) restaurants though we did eat out on a few occasions just to mix things up. There is a an excellent choice of water sports that you can choose to take advantage of.

The only minor glitches were 2/3 pools being closed for a couple of days (that when reopened contained quite a lot of Chlorine for a few days), the bars running out of certain ingredients for cocktails (e.g. mint for Mojito's) and of course no real beach. That said, we were aware of the beach situation when we booked and knew that there are two fabulous beaches either side of the hotel. Sandy Lane to the left and about 50 – 100 yards to the right, Beachlands – which was virtually deserted each time we went there.

Afternoon tea isn’t really afternoon tea it’s more of a snack menu but the Hotel is handily placed for easy access to Holetown (5 minute walk up the beach and much quicker than walking up on the road) and most of the nice spots on the West coast of the island.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and had a lovely couple of weeks.

2 Thank Steven S
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have never traveled across the Atlantic before, but I have to say I am not disappointed at all. Barbados is beautiful, I was fortunate enough to stay in the tranquil resort of St James, the Platinum Coast and the wording is as it really is too, next to The Sandy Lane Hotel. I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels across the Far/Middle East and what I have come to understand is that on the Atlantic side (Barbados) the star rating does not match up at all. I heard The Club had undergone some work but I feel there is still much to be done. The write up in Virgin should include the following: There is no beach as such at this hotel, but if you are able to walk over a few rocks either side of the sunbed area (totally packed) then you will find two breath taking beaches, this was not a problem to us being fit and able, but was disappointing that it was not just outside the door unlike the Far/Middle East. Some of the rooms at the hotel have access to the back of the building ie in the car park, so when we arrived we soon asked to be moved as our view was of the garden, which was lovely but the entrance up what could be looked upon as a fire escape was not what I would have expected. We ended up looking at an ocean suite which we decided to book as it was my special Birthday and so we paid £50 each per day for this privilege on top of our original payment. The room and bedroom was updated and very nice but the bathroom was old and spoilt the over all feel of the suite, the shower took 15 mins to warm up and at peak times took up to 30 mins to warm up and was not very powerful at all. The restaurant was very nice, however the bird issue was annoying and un hygienic which really does need to be addressed, the wire around the sides is great but why leave the doors open so they can fly in and out as and when, also why do feeding time at peak times so that more birds arrive when it is the customers feeding time and not there's, you have to cover up your things on the table or one of you stay so the other can get their food. However the menu in the evening was superb, every night different dishes that tasted lovely and the lunch and breakfast was lovely too, with a fabulous omelet maker called who's name I forget, who is so warm and friendly. I have to say that most of the staff are, except a manager who can be rather obnoxious at time such as saying my designer playsuit (all in one with shorts) was not suitable for the restaurant, reminding me that the policy is no shorts! Yes shorts as in beach wear, but surly not as evening wear???????As I work in fashion playsuits, jumpsuits and shorts are actually key fashion garments to be seen in, in summer months and with my Michael Kors bag and shoes, I was very offended and made to feel very uncomfortable by her. She finally gave in and showed us to our seats but her attitude ruined my night. On one occasion, by accident one of the lovely waitresses slipped, dropping fresh cream all over me whilst I was sat in my seat and she was so upset, I went to my room to change and the obnoxious manageress marched her upstairs with Champagne to apologise, this was a kind gesture but I had to go and see the waitress to ask if she was ok and that no harm was done as I felt more upset for her being humiliated like that. Afternoon tea is a lovely when the heat kicks in but the one and only help yourself to tea and coffee was always broken. The staff at reception were fabulous, eager to help and very lovely, we had champagne in our suite when we arrived to celebrate my birthday. Enids restaurant was nothing at all to write home about, no atmosphere, music or taste to the food either! So don't think you are missing out if you don't go. The cocktail bar outside is very small and is full of middle aged people drinking round it all day, the age group of the guests were 48+ I would say with the odd young couple here and there, for the first half of the week it was like being on a Saga holiday! I would not promote for young couples or honeymooners wanting atmosphere. The night entertainment was ok, not on every night and again no atmosphere only catering for middle aged people playing rock and roll etc, two bands with girls in were good and thank goodness for Rihanna tributes here and there, overall it was dreary and old and finished before 12am which is poor for a hotel really. would I go back there...probably not to The Club but defiantly to St James resort in Barbados, value for money....not really!

Room Tip: Ocean Suite 2nd floor on the left if your facing them, that was ours.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dwatson4
Houston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Will not stay here again...had a one bedroom oceanfront suite and it looked like a room at the local motel back in the 70's. There were mirrored closet doors and had to close the door to sit on the toilet so I wouldn't bump my knees. The sheets were never changed during my five night stay and the lighting in the bathroom was horrible. The shower seemed like an after thought that was just attached to the wall over the Jacuzzi tub. Eating with all the birds flying overhead trying to getting at your food was uncomfortable and nasty. Don't know why they claim to be all-inclusive because if you want bottled water, you pay....you want room service, you pay. This place is pricey and not worth it. On the bright side, the staff was fab and Lucille the bartender was wonderful.

6 Thank rretc
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Again, we greatly appreciate your business and the fact that you took the time to provide us with your thoughts. Here at The Club Barbados we believe in 100% guest satisfaction is what we strive for and we always try to achieve this standard by all means possible.

We do hope that when you are considering a fun-filled Caribbean vacation we may welcome you again.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just had the annual 2 week holiday with my boss (wife). Overall, we had a great stay, which we expected to have, given the cost of staying at the Club is not cheap. We upgraded to an ocean view suite as our original upgrade that we paid for was an ocean loft. This room has no balcony at all, just windows and the last of the four flights is a set of round stairs that are quite tight. Our upgraded room was fabulous, with a separate lounge and wonderful views and worth every penny. Food was great and the staff were very friendly. I have noticed some of the negative comments about staff attitude and my experience was all positive. Attitude is also a 2 way thing and I found the staff always ready to have a laugh and a joke. Bar service was fine also. Listening to the blenders constantly would drive me daft, so well done to those paid to stand and serve for very long hours. There were some issues with the pools for a while, but the hotel solved this to my satisfaction. No beach but you know this before going and it is all of 80 yards to a virtually deserted beach where my wife and I spent 2 days of our holiday without seeing more than one other couple. This is also where the free snorkelling trips go, which are a small part of the excellent free water sports available to all guests. Overall, we had a great time thanks to the efforts of the hardworking staff.

Room Tip: Only get an ocean loft room if you are happy to go up and down a lot of stairs during the day, or wi...
2 Thank mark w
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife & I live in Barbados. It was our 41st anniversary & to celebrate we decided on a staycation at The Club for just 2 nights. We were treated like Kings, room upgraded, extremely friendly staff, at dinner we received a complimentary bottle of champagne. Service was excellent & effecient, staff work very hard especially in the dinning area. The 'piano bar' is good way to end your evening, Dale is magic on the piano, very friendly guy and will even play requests. We had a great few days, should have stayed longer.

Room Tip: We had a large suite on the upper floor, very quiet, nice balcony, comfy bed, air conditioned.
2 Thank Roy P
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,379 reviews

Been to The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!