“A Great Place to experience Barbados, if you are on a budget”

Coral Lane Beach Apartments
London, United Kingdom
“A Great Place to experience Barbados, if you are on a budget”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Coral Lane Beach Apartments
A great way to experience Barbados if you are on a budget. The rooms are clean, basic yes, but it had all we needed. Definitely get a sea view room!!! I cannot stress that enough, the sea view rooms have small balconies (table & two chairs), with a fabulous view, being at the back wouldn't have been the same at all. We had a great stay and would recommend the apartments - but be clear about what you want from your holiday first. This is not a 5-star hotel, there is no pool, but the caribbean sea is right across the road, literally a stone's throw! Jeoffrey and Dawn are really helpful and will do their level best to make your stay a good one. For example there was a coffee maker in our room, but we prefer tea, so Dawn gave us a kettle. The beds looked as though they would be hard (and as I suffer with a bad back it worried me) but it turned out to be one of the most comfortable beds I'd ever slept on and I didn't have back trouble all holiday! There is a yard next door, which is just below the balconies with chickens and roosters (a natural alarm clock!), plus from the balcony we enjoyed seeing the bats at dusk, and feeding a few of the local birds who visited daily. We also saw the occasional monkey, as they come to get the mangoes off the tree in the Coral Lane car park.
There are a couple of convenience stores not far, and you can get essentials from the 24-hour garage just up the road. There are also a few friendly, relaxed bars within a couple of minutes walk.
Wi-fi connection was good the whole time. Definitely pay the extra for Air-Con, it's worth it as it can get very hot at night.

Barbados is a great island, friendly people, plus they drive on the left (great for us brits) and you can safely drink the water from the tap. The money we saved by staying at Coral Lane instead of a resort saved us enough to hire a jeep for most of the holiday - this is a great way to see the island. If you don't want to drive, the buses are only $2 Barbados dollars a ride ($1 US dollar, or about 65p sterling), regardless of how far you go. The buses are frequent and can be a great experience too!
A few highlights that we'd recommend are Harrisons Cave, Stiletto catamaran cruise (with snorkelling with turtles), Atlantis submarine, Concorde experience by the airport. Great beaches are too numerous to mention, but if you want spectacular go over to Bathsheba and the East Coast, if you want tranquil swimming, West is best (Worthing beach and Miami beach were our favourites).
Must give a mention to the Scarlet restaurant just a minutes walk from Coral Lane, the food and place are fantastic! (not cheap, but worth splashing out at least once). The Roundhouse at Bathsheba is great too, (turn up early to get a table overlooking the sea and watch the surfers!). Oistins is great for cheap fish meals, plus entertainment on a Friday.

All in all Coral Lane was a great base for us, it's brilliant value, and Barbados is a great place to be!

6 Thank MandyMooBag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We had a wonderful Barbados vacation in February and were very pleased with our choice of accommodations. After reading several of the reviews from other travellers before choosing Coral Lane, I noticed most were favourable. The West Coast of Barbados is the Platinum Coast and the prices of the hotels/condos/apts. are way over the top. That is why we decided on Coral Lane because it fit our budget. We were not disappointed. It is clean, comfortable and right across the street from the wonderful strip of West Coast beaches. We had an oceanview studio on the top floor. These studios have a small balcony, which is a new addition, rather than the window seat as shown on the web site. This proved to be a wonderful addition. We loved sitting out in the early morning and evening and watch the goings on of local folk going about their business and children heading to school. We could hear the ocean and, of course, see the magnificent sunsets. The review written on Feb. 14/11 by "ruppbenn from New York" is 100 percent accurate and detailed. The only difference is we had the small balcony which is definitely a bonus. The reviews from people who minded the small bathroom, the steel drums, the roosters etc. are from people who should not have been looking to stay at a place and expect more than is advertised. We loved the steel drums and roosters. They added to the appeal of this beautiful island paradise. The small bathroom, well....it did not prove to be a problem.

3 Thank peascarrots
New Providence Island
Reviewed March 20, 2011

(WARNING: Do not click "preview" submission, unless you want to risk losing your review. I had to rewrite this. )

This review was a long time coming!
I had/have been really busy, so when i was invited to my friend's wedding, I was excited at the prospect of a pseudo-vacation, and my first trip to Barbados.

As I was working within a preset budget, I was floored when I saw the prices for some of Barbados' ritzier hotels. I just wanted someplace clean, safe and reasonably priced. My friend suggested that I look at guest houses on the Barbados travel website (barbados.org), and that is how I found Coral Lane Beach Apartments.

The reviews on TripAdvisor were overwhelmingly positive, and after viewing the hotel's website, I started liaising online with the owners (Dawn and Jeffrey Thompson). They were eager to answer my questions, and provide booking information; which made me feel even more confident that I had made the right choice. Also, at US$85 per night for a standard room with ocean view and A/c (a must have for anyone living south of Canada), I considered it a steal!

On arrival to Coral Lane, Dawn came out to meet me. They were finishing some renovations, and told me to give them a few hours, and I would be in for a surprise when I got back. Sure enough, I discovered that they had constructed private balconies for each of the rooms, so instead of staring out the window, I could now sit outside and enjoy the view. I was ecstatic - it was indeed welcome!

The room itself was what i expected; clean and cozy with the basics of home (electric range, fridge, microwave and an iron - no ironing board though, and a flat screen cable TV). Did I mention the FREE prepaid local cell phone loaned to me during my stay?! A great money-saver and you could get minutes (phone card) from most shops including any gas station.
There was also a hand-held jet shower head that I was not used to, but it quickly became a really good friend of mine.
(I will note though, that the room i stayed in is suitable sized for a couple or solo traveler only. If you have kids, I recommend you opt for one of the larger suites.)

My first morning in Barbados I awoke to... virtual silence. Ahhhhh...
The view was great! To the left was a small church facing the ocean. Below me was a rustic house undergoing its own renovations, and... chickens!!! It reminded me of my early childhood, and gave the place an even more earthy, laid-back feel. Ahead were lush trees, and then the pale blue ocean sparkling in the morning sunlight as sloops and ferries bobbed up and down. My cup of cocoa never tasted so good.
If you plan to laze about for a few days, you are guaranteed to appreciate the serenity.
(Fortunately or unfortunately, my itinerary was packed.)

Dawn (the more vocal one) and Jeffrey (the "strong silent type") were outstanding hosts!
From troubleshooting the TV remote, to adjusting light bulbs, to complimentary housekeeping, they were definitely service-oriented people who catered to their guests and cared about the impression they and their hotel left on us tourists.

So, if you are looking for reasonably priced, quiet accommodations with the basic necessities of home, then Coral lane is the place for you!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank CBean_Life
Parry Sound, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2011

This is not a good option, even though it is inexpensive. On the plus side, the location is good, with a lovely, very quiet sand beach directly across the highway. And the place is clean -- although the linens are a bit sketchy (we had a used band-aid stuck to the bedspread on our bed!) But when we arrived, the following did not work in our unit: the phone, the coffee machine, the internet connection (impossibly slow -- server times out before it connects), the hot water in the kitchen, the fridge freezer, and sundry other little things. The bathroom is ridiculously small -- a man has to stand in the shower to pee in teh toilet (seriously!) and when you sit, your feet are in the shower again. The owners were not especially gracious or helpful, and because their mother stays on the ground floor, (where we stayed) the outside door is kept locked all the time. There is no way to get out without a key -- violating every safety standard in the world. Finally, there is a steel drum band that practiced regularly in the church hall right under our balcony; if you like steel drums you'll enjoy it -- but don't say I didn't warn you.

3 Thank Ken181742
Hamburg, New York
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Based in part on the trip advisor reviews, we recently stayed at the Coral Lane Beach Apartments for ten days. We were pleased with our accommodations.

I think it is important to say that this is not a hotel: it does not have a front desk, it does not have a concierge or a bellman, it does not have a rental car desk on site. It is an apartment building with facilities as described on its web site; it is superbly located at the southern end of Payne's Bay; and it is ideal for independent travelers.

Our efficiency, studio apartment was very clean. It had a comfortable queen size bed, a writing desk, and a sitting bench at the large picture window. There was a round table for eating with two chairs, small refrigerator, stove, toaster, microwave oven, hot water heater for tea, pans and dishes and utensils sufficient for two persons to cook and have meals, and adequate towels and soap. Because we were there in January we did not request a room with air conditioning: the room had a ceiling fan and ventilation through the window and transom. The room had a telephone for outgoing call only and we were offered the use of a cell phone by the owners if we desired to have it during our stay. The bed and bath linen were changed several times during our stay. Our room had a small, lockable metal box attached to the wall where papers could be stored.

We always travel with a travel clock so the absence of one was not a problem. The bathroom has a shower but no bathtub, and, yes, the bathroom is small.

The apartment building is built on land that slopes, and the owners have outfitted two open areas under the building with chairs, loungers, and tables for use by the guests. During our stay, many of the guests used this shaded, breezy area to read, have snacks, or simply relax. Here, we met guests from Estonia, Canada, and Trinidad, all of whom were pleased with the location, price, and owners. Further along, in a separate area is a place for hanging laundry and a room with laundry equipment for use by guests.

The web site accurately states the apartment is about 40 meters from a quiet beachfront. Furthermore, a walk of 50 meters north along the beach leads to several quite expensive hotels some of which offer rental chairs and loungers for those who need a bit of comfort. Because the island busses going north and south stop close to the apartment building, we shopped and traveled around the island using only the bus service..

You should be aware that several homes in the vicinity of the apartment have chickens... which means roosters crow in the early morning. Unlike one reviewer, we saw no feral dogs but did hear dogs barking especially when there were monkeys in the area. Yes, there are monkeys in the wooded areas of Barbados.

This was our second visit to Barbados but our first stay in these apartments. When we return to Barbados, we will unhesitatingly seek an apartment here. We found the owners of the apartment building to be very nice people and very accommodating to our needs. The owners gave very good, helpful information about shopping, travel on the island, and the immediate vicinity.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ruppbenn_traveling
Washington DC
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I stayed five nights. The shower head broke off the first day so I didn't have a hands-free shower I could stand under. The bathroom is without a doubt the hardest to maneuver I have ever had to use - so small. You only get room service (cleaning/towels) every other day. The TV reception was very poor. Couldn't get several channels. All over head lights - no good reading light by the bed. I opted for the AC because otherwise the roosters and feral dogs will awaken you long before dawn. The AC provided the white noise to drown them out. The phone did not work (although I didn't know this until the last evening.) If you have a very early flight as I did, you'd better bring an alarm clock. When I mentioned the need to be awakened early to get to the airport, he said there was no wakeup service. What he did do was bring a phone from another room into my room (very long cord, maybe 50') and ask the driver of the cab I ordered to call me at 4:00 am! She did.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
chapelbay, Owner at Coral Lane Beach Apartments, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
We do regret this reviewer's negative experience with us. We unfortunately will not please everyone although we work very hard to. Our greater regret is that this guest did not indicate these concerns to us during her visit so we could address them readily .

After the shower head broke on the first day, had she told us, we would have replaced it immediately; the housekeeper may not always notice abnormalities so we also rely on the guests to let us know of any malfunction.

This could have been done via the phone in the room. The phone was working. Our system entails that one can make free outgoing calls to anywhere on the island. The guest did not seek to use this by her own admission. However, incoming calls are restricted as each apartment phone shares three lines throughout the property. To counteract this, we offer our guests cell phones to ensure easy contact from friends when necessary. Some readily accept these, others decline. Regrettably, all cell phones were in use that evening when the request for a wakeup call was made. To still oblige, we used a regular handset, service for which came from a jack that was outside this guest's door and which is the only line in the building that accommodates incoming calls. It is actually a relative's phone line. It seemed fair to us that if the taxi driver (with whom we have a long association) was preparing to collect the guest at this time, then it would be no problem for her to call the guest on our behalf. Giving the rates we charge, a fair-minded person would see that it would be difficult to afford to pay staff to be awake at that time to make wakeup calls.

The television in that apartment was indeed poor prior to the guest's arrival. Despite being brand new, the connections had to be changed. Technicians from our cable provider corrected the problem and we witnessed viewing to be normalised prior to the guest's arrival. Again, had we been notified from day one of her stay that the problem had resumed, technicians would have been called back in to do their job.

No one has ever complained about our lighting before, but this guest is entitled to her opinion and preference. In fact, each apartment has a desk with a wall lamp fixed approx. two feet above the desktop. Each bed has a light on the wall about 3 feet above the bed head. All interior walls and ceilings are white and off white in colour, therefore, there is normally no problem with lighting. If somehow her own preference was for a brighter bulb, we would have provided this for her.

We are not sure the reason for mentioning the dogs and their barking as these dogs were removed two years ago by the neighbour, kind enough to listen to our concerns. Dogs no longer pose an issue for us and we continue to be very grateful to our neighbour for this. Perhaps the reviewer referred to a tripadvisor comment made two years ago about these said dogs and added it to make her comments appear authentic.

We are part of a neighbourhood which retains some of the local features, so from time to time you will see a few cocks, hens and baby chicks wandering about in the vicinity along with the odd green monkey that might be found nibbling a mango from the tree out front. For most of our guests, this is a plus.

Room service at our property is indeed every other day and this is reflected in the rates that we charge; many properties around us offer rates that are double, triple and beyond and, therefore, are able to render daily service. Our rates which are now under review are $US75 - $US85/night during the winter or $US65 - US75/night during the summer. What we do is to work fastidiously to present very clean, sanitized and comfortable spaces. If on any given day we fail, then we welcome notification so that we can directly improve the quality of our guests' stay. It really is not in our best interest to have miserable clients!

Best features about Coral Lane Beach Apartments are the beautiful sea God has blessed us with just across the way, the daily awesome sunsets - two are never quite the same, the beach that leads all the way up to Holetown now with boardwalks - excellent for early morning walks, easy access to fresh fish at the fishing depot on the beach not far away, great connectivity by public transportation to all over the island and generally a wonderful seaside ambiance.
Vancouver
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I have just returned from a month long stay in Barbados and it was fantastic.I stayed at the Coral lane beach apartments in Payne's Bay and I was extremely satisfied by my choice of location.The Coral Lane apartments are clean,quiet and very comfortable.The apartment is a block from the awesome West Cast beaches.It has everything a self catering traveler such as myself needs to be completely at home.Its not luxury accommodation(no one said it was) but it is wonderfully authentic.You will not be surrounded by tourists so much as by the locals who are downright fantastic folks.Geoffrey and Dawn the owners, are so nice you will feel as though you are staying with family.Its a slice of the real thing.Look no further if you're on a budget.I would recommend it to my own Mom..seriously.I wish I was there right now.What more do you need?I would not hesitate to stay there again for another month.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple