“Its a nice fixer upper!”
Review of Divi Heritage

Divi Heritage
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
usa
“Its a nice fixer upper!”
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Everything needs to be updated. The people (workers) are very friendly! No sandy beaches, just rock. It looks like its going to fall down. Tub had so much caulking, it was turning colors. the toilet, when you sat down it moved. Air conditioner only in the bedroom, which leeks.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank belacruz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
rochester,mn
Reviewed January 23, 2010

Well first of all they messed up are reservation. We went to check in and they didn't have are room. So they bought us a room at a different hotel that was less expensive so they gave us a free lunch. The toilet leaked water onto the floor which puddled in the kitchen. We had no hot water. But the thing that made me the most mad was we bought a room with a hot tub, and the hot tub didn't hold water. We called them to fix it 5 or 6 times they tried but it never worked. When i told the person at the front desk i wasn't happy with my room and wanted like 100 dollars back because the hot tub never worked. He said he would talk the his manager and get back to me. they never did. oh yeah we only got like 3 channels on are tv.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nooth_10

Travelers are raving about these Saint James Parish hotels

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I will do my best to keep this G rated and to the point.
Don't let the other "reviews" and outdated photos fool you, THIS PLACE IS A DUMP!
My wife and I are timeshare owners, and went to Barbados for our Honeymoon. The pictures of the in room hot tub overlooking the ocean looked like a nice place to start.
When we arrived, guess what......The office was closed at 3:30 PM, locked up and not a person to be found.........ANYWHERE. We thought we went to the wrong place; there were no guest, no staff, no one.
As I walked around the very small complex, I could see that we had made a HUGE mistake. The place was falling apart; the place smelled of raw sewage, the wood was rotting off the building.
After about 30 min., I went next door to the Almond resort (a partner company of Divi) to find out if the Divi was condemned, or even still open? They called around and found a security officer that worked at the Heritage. She greeted us and showed us to "The Honeymoon Suite".
OMG! This was the worst room I have ever been expected to stay in ever. There was no glass on the windows, only rotten wooden slats. The doors would not lock; the deck was way too scary to even think about standing on, because the wood was rotten.

The place has not seen a fresh coat of paint in YEARS.
The bathroom was gross to say the least.
The ocean view hot tub had stagnated funk growing in it.
In a word, HELL
We found security and ask to be moved, she said that she would call and see what she could do.
After a water pipe burst outside the door to our room, we were relocated to another building. The view of the ocean was not as good, but it had glass in the windows, and a much larger kitchen.
We also found that the internet access is a joke, when it was working; you had to site at the covered and unusable hot tub outside where you would get eaten alive by the bugs.
I was able to connect twice, that was it.
The Management at this property is almost none, and Divi needs to take a hard look at even keeping this property. Interval International and RCI need to run, and drop this place fast.

Now, for the good parts about this dump:

Angela the security officer was the kindest person on the Island, I think that if she were not there helping out the guest, they would all leave. She always had a smile, and a greeting. She helped us with our several large bags.

The beach is very private, and clean, but very small.
The sunset view from the beach is great.
The hot water in the larger building seems to never run out, but is way too hot.

We move to the Divi Southwinds at the other end of the island the following week, and it was much nicer there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank txdiverdoug
Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2008

We are decade-long Divi owners that stayed here for our first time. We chose the resort because of it's West Coast location, and good reviews on the snorkeling, which we also assert was TERRIFIC and so close! The resort consists of 2 beachfront buildings and 2 buildings right behind these, angled for a garden view, but also providing an excellent oceanview. The buildings are in need of some TLC -- peeling paint, broken closet doors, etc... but nothing major like A/C or ceiling fans, and the rooms were very clean. We stayed in a one bedroom 2nd floor garden view unit and still had an excellent view of the ocean and fabulous sunsets. We found the room and the resort to be very comfortable, relaxed and above all quiet. The West Coast location is excellent for access to numerous fine dining restaurants (no on-site dining). The resort staff (who were without exception friendly and helpful), put us in touch with "Danny" who was our evening driver for the week and took us to the restaurants of our choice, always arriving on time for our reservations and picking us up promptly -- highly recommend doing this so you can have a few drinks with dinner and not worry about driving back to the resort. Parking at the resort is VERY LIMITED -- we had a rental car for the week and it was always a challenge to park, but the staff helped whenever possible. We would be careful who we recommend the resort to as this is not 5 star accommodations, but we ourselves would stay here again because of the location, the staff, and the small, intimate, quiet setting. If you want 5 star, stay at Sandy Lane next door, but you might see us on your beach cause we're just that close :-) We grocery shopped for breakfast in our room, snacks and drinks, and often had lunch at Cafe Moya across the street (excellent!). Oh yeah... we never saw the monkeys but maybe you'll be luckier!

• Liked — Relaxing, comfortable and quiet
  • Disliked — Outdated bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Carlisle PA
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We stayed here for under $100 during the rainy season. However they didn't have all to offer like they advertised. Still, for the price we paid, we were satisfied. For example, the almond resort next door was closed and they didn't tell us until we got there, even though I asked about use of the pool. It wouldn't be worth the high season price without the resort next door being open. They are restoring the resort currently, so If you go during the high season it may be operational again.... ask first. This also meant there was NO gym, NO TV, NO restaurant, and NO use of kayaks. IF these amenities are crucial for you, DO NOT STAY HERE, unless you confirm that the resort next door has reopened. IF you need to have a lounge chair right on the beach where you can take a dip, DO NOT STAY HERE.

If you are laid back, don't mind not having all the amenities of more expensive resorts, don't mind walking a short way along the beautiful coast to get to a beach, and snorkeling is something you want to do as much as possible, then this place is right up your alley. Should my husband and I come to Barbados again, WE WOULD STAY HERE... and maybe a night or 2 at the New Edgewater Hotel in Bathsheba.

The office DID have snorkel gear you could borrow and beach towels that you could exchange regularly. There are lounge chairs in the garden and by the shore, good place to read and watch the sunset. Our room was clean, staff was nice. There was air-conditioning in the rooms. We had some very curious birds visit with us on our balcony/patio and sometime they would come inside.

It was rainy and a bit stormy during our visit, so we only snorkeled once. The water was a cloudy due to all the storm churn, but you could tell it would be THE SPOT during calmer seasons. The coral comes right up to shore in front of the hotel. The best place to enter for a swim or snorkel is just south of Divi, on Sandy Lane beach. BEAUTIFUL beach! This beach is home to ubber pricey Sandy Lane resort, but the beach is open to the public. We even saw several turtle nest sites there.

For snorkeling, I recommend entering on the north end of the beach ( less than 5 min walk south from Divi) and follow the coral boundary north to the anchored raft for a rest. Then proceed north a little to the shelf drop off. This is where the sailing tours stop. People pay money to snorkel there, but you can do it for free since it is so close to shore.

Just across the street the are shops, a bank, a convenience store (beer, rum, milk, butter, chips), and a good coffee/breakfast/lunch place called Cafe Moya. Cafe Moya has reasonable prices for barbados and good sandwiches/wraps.

If you want to cook in your room, bring basic staples like bread, peanut butter, coffee, pasta, etc in your suitcase... then buy more at the grocery store just north. Its about a 10 min walk northward. We found it much easier to have breakfast and lunch most days in our room, then head out for dinner. Most restaurants don't open until 6 or 7.

You can also walk to several restaurants, along the side of the road (sporadic sidewalks). The Beach house is right on the water, beautiful atmosphere,good food, but a bit pricey. Next up is Surfside: good food, relaxed and casual on the beach, sports on TV. In Holetown we enjoyed Angry Annies and The Mews. Holetown is a 15 min walk. The Mews is very pricey, but delicious too. Food in general is twice as expensive as it is in the states. Luckily, alcohol is not. Banks beer goes down real fast on a hot day.

I'll add pictures eventually.

• Liked — price, proximity to beach, reef
  • Disliked — They didn't disclose the lack of pool until I arrived.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CarlislePASnooze
Schaumburg, IL
Reviewed May 11, 2008

We stayed one night at Divi Heritage in early May prior to moving to the Divi Southwinds with our RCI points exchange. We are Divi members and wanted to stay at all of the resorts so we could feel we had the complete Divi experience.

Check in and check out was friendly and fast. Security helped us to our room and showed us around.

The Heritage and the Southwinds are very different experiences. The Heritage is quiet and laid back. Keep in mind - there is no restaurant, bar, or pool. Just a very quaint West Coast location and laid back experience. The unit we were in was H1 and right on the beach - probably 10 steps to the sand. The unit was comfortable and spacious and had everything you could need - especially the quiet.

We walked in both directions up and down the shoreline and spend some time relaxing at Sandy Lane Beach. The snorkeling to the right of the Heritage property was really great - probably the best spot we found on Barbados - and we went to pretty much every beach in our week of exploring.

We were somewhat disappointed in the choice of restaurants within walking distance (or short drive) to the Heritage. We actually found a pizza place and sat at the beach watching the sunset the night we were there.

I would recommend the Heritage. I understand you can use the facilities at the Almond Beach next door and also pay $100US per person for all-inclusive. I was not impressed with the Almond Beach at all - their beachfront was very small and cramped.

You definitely need a car in Barbados - and what an experience that is! There are NO roadsigns...(okay I won't get into that).

We went around the entire island and really LOVED the west coast beaches. However, we spent 6 nights at the Divi Southwinds at St. Lawrence Gap and we LOVED the Gap - great restaurants and a very active fun and friendly area.....don't miss it!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank katezooza
Trinidad y Tobago
Reviewed April 7, 2008

If you have reached this hotel review and are considering a stay here, click on your back button and look elsewhere.

I booked this hotel a month in advance as I needed to be in Holetown to attend to personal business. At the time of booking, the property took FULL PAYMENT 17days prior to my arrival. I found this to be irregular having stayed at many types of hotels around the World and they mostly request a deposit or a Guarantee. This should have been a red flag as once you arrive you wish you had not pre-paid and we able to move to another hotel.

I was advised check-in was available from 4pm and so I planned my arrival to suit. I actually arrived to a vacated and run-down small reception area, a front desk with basic office supplies scattered along it and the hotel phone ringing off the hook (unanswered)

Within a few minutes, a maintenance man came in all sweaty and dirty and realised I was trying to check-in (must have been the luggage I was pulling) He shouted loudly to his colleague who came from across the garden. His name was Glen and his words were few. He opened an envelope which was sitting on the desk with my name on it, handed me a paper to sign and gave me a key. A few minutes later he was gone again, this time for the day. The front desk is only staffed during 830am-ust before 5pm. People trying to reach me were mostly only able to do so on my cell phone...I witnessed the front desk phone ring and ring many times during my stay.

I had booked a room which was described like this (paste and copy) from their own web site: "Oceanfront Studio
The oceanfront studio is a spacious guestroom offering a king-sized bed and one queen sleeper sofa. The studio features a large jacuzzi tub in a private patio, air-conditioning, television, and fully equipped kitchen." Instead I got a One Bedroom apartment in the building behind the Oceanfront building with the Jacuzzi located in the bathroom and looked like something from the early 70's, not like the Jacuzzi Spa as seen on their website.

I realized very quickly that Divi had tricked me, took my money up front, left me with no staff to complain to at night and I was basically stuck here and uphappy for the remainder of my stay. the central a/c in the apartment looked like it had not worked in months, if not years, the bathroom fittings had green goo coming from the taps, cable had like 5 channels and housekeeping had not noticed the sand I brought in on my show for my 3 day staff.

Divi also proudly advertises FREE WI-FI at this property. LIES! I could only get free Wi-Fi in the dingy small reception area and on the unused Jacuzzi out at the beachfront gazebo.

I know many people come to Barbados for Sun, Sea and Sand and this is a Time Share Facility but its more like TIME FORGOT and there is no beach in front this hotel. You have to go elsewhere for a dip in the sea.

The lawn (hardly a garden) between the reception and apartments has a smell of sewage as you walk by.

the final straw was the fact the the Water Company shut water off due to non-payment of the utility bill. I came home tired from a day of meetings and encountered other irate guest begging for water. It was also at this point that I witnessed the Security Guard and Front Desk clerk "Keisha" simply walk out of the office and leave for the day, avoiding contact with the upset guests. I got on my computer and looked for a manager's number online and got Mr Alvin Jemmott (The General Manager) on my cell phone which was on roaming at great expense to me. I voiced my predicament and he asked to speak with the night watchman. I never got to talk to him again, nor was any offer or resolution offered. I spoke with the Financial Comptroller from The Almond Beach and later the Manager on Duty showed up both of whom where apologetic but had no remedy.

This will go down in my record book as one of the worst places I have stayed in all my travels.

I do not think this property is suitable to having guests at the moment and I am both surprised and disappointed that this poor level of service and accommodation problems came from a DIVI property.

• Liked — The square footage of the room
  • Disliked — Everything: Poor Customer Care/Lack of Service/Lack of Amenities/Limited Wi-Fi/Aging property/lack of beach
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
#12 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
#29 of 50 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Divi Heritage? Share your experiences!